- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes 8 servings
Nothing says fun like this homemade bacon-wrapped corn dog recipe. Who can resist food on a stick?
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups corn meal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Canola oil for frying
- Wrap each hot dog in one slice of bacon. Place hot dogs on a baking sheet and cook about 15 minutes or until bacon is fairly crispy and can stay in place on hot dog. Don’t cook hot dogs fully, because they will finish cooking in hot oil.
- While hot dogs are cooking, prepare batter. Whisk milk with eggs, oil, sugar and salt until mixed well. Add the baking powder, cornmeal and 2/3 cup flour and whisk until smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a large pot of deep fryer until it is 375 degrees F.
- Stick popsicle sticks or wooden skewers into one end of each hot dog.
- Pour the batter into a tall container or jar and dip each hot dog into batter, swirling to coat fully. Remove battered hot dog and let drip so excess batter falls off.
- Immediately place hot dog in hot oil and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side or until each side is golden. Remove cooked hot dogs from oil and let drain on paper towels for at least 5 minutes. Serve with your choice of garnishes.