- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: Makes 8 to 10 servings
Lazy summer nights are the perfect time to explore cooking foods from different cuisines and Middle Eastern recipes are a good place to start. Most people know hummus as the staple Middle Eastern dish, but there is so much more to the cuisine than that. Do some exploring in the kitchen and transport your taste buds to a whole other land with this recipe for baba ghanoush.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Large handful of parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- Preheat grill to high heat. Poke holes in the skin of the eggplant with a fork.
- Place eggplant on grill and cook 20 to 30 minutes, or until skin is wrinkled and insides are soft.
- Remove eggplant from grill and let cool long enough to handle. Slice eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out insides, discarding as many seeds as possible.
- Place eggplant insides in a food processor and add lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and parsley. Turn on food processor and pulse until well combined. Gradually drizzle in olive oil, and pulse to mix well. Only add enough olive oil as needed for desired texture. Serve with toasted pita wedges.