If you're the party type and enjoy organizing a summer bash, why not celebrate your dog? Whether it's his birthday — or just because — we have everything you need to make your dog’s neighborhood event a hit among all his furry friends!
Before you start planning your dog’s party, you'll have to let all his four-legged pals know about the bash! Be sure to send out dog-themed invitations like these from Lilies of the Fields well in advance. Complete with paw prints and all the info your guests will need, these cute invitations work well for any type of summer dog party! (etsy.com, $18 for digital file)
And just so there's no question as to whose party it is, have the guest of honor don a dog party hat if he'll tolerate it (or at least just long enough for a photo op!). This pink Siamese cat decorated birthday hat from StudioWillow is perfect. (etsy.com, $12)
Barbecue lover party
Whose dog can resist a barbecue? Not mine! From meaty eats to backyard fun with family and friends, any barbecue-loving dog will be smiling from ear to ear at this party!
- Kyjen Dog Agility Obstacle Course Starter Kit: Let the games begin! This portable agility kit will bring the party to your backyard, allowing the more active and competitive doggy guests to show you what they're made of. Tunnels, weave poles and even a high jump will keep party guests entertained — even those who bark from the sidelines! (petco.com, $44)
- I and Love and You Nothin' But Bison Liver Bites Dog Treats: The party just isn't a party until packages of dog treats are opened and put on the buffet table next to all the human eats. Give your dog something tasty to munch on like these bison treats that are paw-lickin' good. They'll all be back for seconds, so stock up! (petco.com, $15)
- Petprojekt™ Large Dogmeat™ T-Bone Steak: While it doesn't taste like the real thing, this replica T-Bone Steak toy will be a revered gift for all the guests' doggie bags. Nontoxic and durable, you can rest easy because this Petprojekt toy is BPA and phthalate free. (otomik.com, $12 for large)
Beach or pool party
The dog days of summer are almost here, so why not take the party to a pool, lake or beach to cool everyone down? A backyard sprinkler and kiddie pool are also fun options for furry and non-furry guests!
- Kyjen Outward Hound Life Jacket: Keep your pup and his friends safe with this life jacket, available in orange and pink for dogs of all sizes. Complete with a front float to keep his head out of the water, reflective strips and easy-grab handles, you can relax knowing your dog is safe in the water all party long. (shop.kyjen.com, $25 and up)
- Doggles Protective Eyewear: Your eyes aren't the only ones that need protection! Keep harmful UV rays out of your pup's eyes with Doggles, a cross between sunglasses and goggles for dogs. With anti-fog lenses that are shatterproof and offer 100 percent UV protection, how can you resist? (petco.com, $25)
- The Bear & The Rat Frozen Yogurt For Dogs: It's hot outside and don't think your dog hasn't noticed. Because the beach and ice cream go hand in hand, treat your paw-some guests to frozen yogurt made especially for dogs! With flavors like Bacon Peanut Barker, your dog will lick the container clean — trust us! (cooltreatsfordogs.com, $7)
If you'd rather make your own eats from scratch, the Sunbeam® Gourmet Treat Maker will help you create custom treats for your guests. Reward your furry guests with specially made treats with ingredients and colors based on your choosing, and watch them drool for the dog bone-shaped treats that await! (sunbeampets.com, $30)
More on summer doggie fun
Keep cool: Dog accessories for water activities
Summer air travel and pets: What you need to know
Cutest pet summer haircuts