Best dog breeds for new babies

Woman with newborn and dog

You've just had a baby and despite being busy as ever, you're thinking of adding another new addition to the family — a dog!

Choose the perfect pet for your new bundle

Having a pet in the house can be a wonderful experience for babies and toddlers, however, not all breeds work as well with children as others. Before you head to the shelter to pick up one, check out our list of the top breeds for newborns!

These breeds get along very well with children and babies, and many of them, like the golden retriever and the border collie, have very protective instincts. The important things to remember when picking a dog for your family, especially if there is a new baby in the home, is to choose a breed with low aggression, a mild temperament and an energy level that suits your family's lifestyle. Here are the five breeds we'd recommend to bring home to baby and you!

LabsLabrador retriever

Golden, black and yellow labs are one of the most popular pets for families because of their good nature, moderate energy level, high intelligence and very loyal behavior. In addition to being active, they are known for their fierce loyalty, mellow personalities and being very affectionate. Labs are also very easy to train and are great watch dogs. If you already have one pet to begin with, don't worry! Labs have a friendly demeanor and generally get along with most other dog breeds. For more information on labs or where you can find one near you, check out Pet Finder.

Golden retreiverGolden retriever

Like the Labrador, golden retrievers are another extremely popular family pet, especially for families with babies and young children. This breed is very well mannered, extremely intelligent, gentle and patient as well as very easily trained. Golden retrievers are great watchdogs as well and have a very strong protective instinct around children. This breed, however, does require daily grooming and exercise.

Check out this guide to golden retrievers to learn more about this family-friendly breed>>

ColliesCollie

If the movie Lassie isn't enough of an indicator, a collie is one of the most family-friendly and loyal breeds there is. These dogs were once bred to care and herd sheep and livestock. They have caring instincts, exceptional hearing and eyesight and are also very playful and gentle. Known for being very protective, collies tend to be great watch and guard dogs. Like the Lab and golden retriever, these dogs are very intelligent and easy to train.

If you're interested in learning more about this breed, check out this top 10 large breed directory>>

beagleBeagle

If you're looking for a very sensitive dog, the beagle is your breed! This breed is known for being very compassionate, loving, mild-tempered, outgoing and fun and extremely patient. These dogs are excellent for babies and very young children, since they don't mind being bothered or you can pet them for long periods of time. They are also very easy to train, are very obedient and are great protectors and hunters. Plus, they are quite small in size and stature, so they'll never overwhelm newborns, and they adapt well to smaller living spaces. Learn more about the beagle here and how you can adopt one!

PoodlePoodle

Poodles often get a bad rap because of their elegance and knack of being high maintenance. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. Although poodles often do require strict grooming, they are very loving, loyal, sensitive and good natured. On top of this, poodles are one of the most intelligent dog breeds, so they are fast learners and very quick and easy to train. Poodles are perfect for babies and small children, because they don't require much exercise and are happy lounging around.

Learn more about the standard poodle here and the best ways to take care of it>>

More information on popular dog breeds

Meet the breed: Yorkshire terrier
Best low-maintenance dog breeds
Top 8 medium size dog breeds

Comments

Comments on "Best dog breeds for new babies"

isha July 28, 2013 | 2:58 PM

I think Labradors or coarker spaniels or westies are the best breeds for new arrivles.

ZechJ. December 28, 2012 | 6:28 PM

American Cocker spaniels and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels were also great

Christina July 20, 2012 | 5:53 PM

Great dogs, but what I have notice was I looked up and down on this website, for something good about pitbulls...I found nothing I have a collie at my parents house she snapped at my five year old daughter for being in her space. I personally own a pit bull one year old male not fixed and he never snapped at a child loves babies will even cuddle with one if you let him. I would love to see more positive things about them it hurts my feelings that my sweet boy is looked at as a monster :(

Julie May 29, 2012 | 2:49 PM

Our family jewel, Molly, is half Lab and half Golden retriever. We got her when the kids were quite little and she "mothered" them. Her personality is so well suited for children, I wouldn't have any other breed. She is now 11 and really slowing down... I want her cloned!

Stacy May 28, 2012 | 9:17 PM

I definitely agree with this article. My whole life I have grown up with many different dogs in the household as well as at other's. Although I've never owned any of the breeds above, I have had many friends with golden retrievers, poodles and the lab with no problems around kids whatsoever. I must say however, I know which breed NOT to have around young children. Thankfully, my family purchased two mini Australian Shepherds when my brother and I were already teenagers. However, we live near an elementary school and had NO IDEA about their issues with young children. We soon found out after each time opening the door and watching them charge at the kids (although never bitten anyone) that they are unable to be around kids for the fact that they look at them as they do to sheep or other farm animals. Since it's in their genetics to herd, they see kids as something they need to confront and herd. This is also another issue when seeing other dogs. They go ballistic when they are in clear sight of another dog outside the window or at a dog park. This prohibits us from taking them on daily walks or strolls to the dog park since they refuse to interact with the other dogs in a calmly manner. (On another note, they are more calm when off the leash) Although they are great lap dogs, extremely loyal and have VERY social personalities, I would not suggest getting these dogs which are known for their intelligence and athletic ability. If you can't live without them, I would suggest waiting until your kids are grown and out of the house.

Sam Trant May 27, 2012 | 5:36 AM

Any dog breed can bite is a very important message! When Timothy was on his way I used a book called Tell Your Dog You're Pregnant: An essential guide for dog owners who are expecting a baby. It was really helpful and came with a CD of sounds. Olive took some time to get used to the sounds but the book helped on how to do it. Maybe that will help someone else!