Does your dog have way more personality than that plain black or red collar conveys? Give your pup a collar that shows off her energetic, calm or diva-like personality with these cute, easy and budget-friendly DIY collar projects. Plus, what's cuter than a dog in a sparkly collar?
A great thing about designing your own collar is that you can customize everything, including the colors you use and what materials you add. Now your dog won't only be the cutest on the block (they all are, of course), they'll be the most stylish too!
Rhinestone dog collar
Save on that designer collar and easily create a sparkly, bedazzled collar like the one pictured here, without spending an arm and a leg. All you need are a few materials and about 30 to 60 minutes.
- 1 plain dog collar of your choice (leather, canvas or cloth works best)
- About 10 size 20ss colored rhinestones
- About 30 size 10ss rhinestones (colored and plain)
- Extra-strong craft glue
- Lay the collar flat on newspaper. Using the toothpick, place a small amount of glue on each size 20ss rhinestone. Place them around the collar, about 1 centimeter apart. Let dry.
- Add smaller (10ss) rhinestones in between each large rhinestone. Let dry.
- To embellish the buckle, carefully place about 19 size 10ss rhinestones right next to each other on the metal. Let dry completely (overnight) before placing on your dog.
Couture floral collar
Love Carrie Bradshaw's couture floral headbands on Sex and the City? Transfer that look onto your dog's collar for a one-of-a-kind, feminine and fashionable pet accessory. Plus, you can change out the flowers on this collar so your dog can have a new outfit every day!
- Upholstery needle
- Thread (to match your dog collar)
- Patterned or plain dog collar
- Large fabric flower (with a flat base, if possible)
- Snap set
- Using the needle and thread, stich half of a snap to the dog collar. Stitch the other half of the snap to the base of the flower. Stick the flower on and remove when you're ready to change it!
If your dog is a diva with Mariah Carey-like behavior, give him/her a dazzling glittered collar to wear. When making this, canvas or cloth collars work best.
- Canvas or cloth plain collar
- Mod Podge glue
- Glitter (any color)
- Paint brush
- Small screws or nails
- Lay the collar flat. Put a small screw or nail into each of the holes in the collar so that they don't get painted over.
- Mix the glitter and glue together until you get a paint-like consistency. Then paint over the entire collar with the glittery glue/paint. Let dry overnight before putting on your pup.
Turning your dog's collar from drab to fab is easy and fun with these DIY projects.
More pet projects
Homemade Valentine's dog treats
Building your own cat furniture
Designer accessories for your posh pet