When a toddler is running around the house, we are pretty quick to take the necessary precautions to make sure everything is kiddie-proof, and we do our best to avoid any hazards that might be harmful to a child. We don't tend to take the same care when it comes to out pets, even though they are members of our family. Here are some common home hazards you need to check for if you have animals.
When your Golden Retriever is gazing up at you with those big brown eyes as you're scoffing your face with chocolate, it can be tempting to give in. After all who can resist a cute face? But did you know that human food can be toxic for your furry friend? Foods your pets should not be ingesting include:
The leftover fat from steak, roasts and corned silverside can lead to your pet developing pancreatitis. Also avoid giving your pets cooked bones as they can splinter inside and cause obstructions which can lead to a very expensive vet bill and they can also be fatal.
While you might take Paracetamol for headaches, this over the counter medication is extremely toxic to cats, even in small amounts. Even flea treatments for dogs are made from chemicals which are extremely poisonous for cats. You wouldn't leave medication out for your toddler to get hold of so make sure you take the same precautions with your furry babies. If you need to administer vet medication to your animals, always follow the instructions because some medicines can have nasty side effects if you give the incorrect dosage.
There are over 60 plants which may cause intestinal upsets or be toxic to your animals. Daffodils look beautiful in spring, but if your pet decides they look pretty tasty, they can cause low blood pressure, vomiting and an irregular heartbeat.
Aloe vera might be great for burns but if your pet eats it, it may experience depression, nausea, the runs and anorexia. Check with your vet for a comprehensive list of common plants to avoid in your garden.
Trees with fruit stones, berries or seeds may be ingested by your dog or cat and can lead to blockages and obstructions.
Fertiliser might be great for your garden but not for your dog or cat. Dogs that scoff blood and bone fertiliser can experience stomach upsets with vomiting or even constipation and it may lead to pancreatitis. Some fertilisers contain toxic fungi and bacteria; others can corrode the inside of the stomach and cause ulcers. The RSPCA Australia suggests if you suspect your dog or cat has eaten fertiliser, you should contact your vet immediately. After all, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Other household items which could cause intestinal blockages if left lying around include:
It only takes a few extra minutes of your time and a little bit of care to take these extra precautions. They can't look after themselves, so as a pet owner, it's your responsibility to do it for them.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!