Long Live Fido

Fido forever! The Guinness World Record organization was set to give the title of “world’s oldest dog” to Max when he died in May 2013. He was three months short of turning 30 — a very impressive feat for a dog.

Max was special for another reason: he was a dachshund, beagle and terrier mix. Why is that significant? Because Max was a mix of three of the breeds with some of the oldest recorded life spans.

Breeds that reach 10 to 25 pounds as adults tend to live the longest, according to Dr. Jon Woodman, a small-animal vet in the Twin Cities. “Generally small breeds live longer, but it seems that doesn’t hold true for the toy sizes,” Woodman says. “I don't think I can give you a specific reason why smaller breeds live longer, but I would suspect a lower incidence of genetically determined disease and stronger organs,” he adds.

So without further ado, here’s a list of the longest-living dog breeds:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas

Image source: Statigram

Life span:  18 years

Besides their size, one of the reasons Chihuahuas live that long is that they’re not prone to a lot of genetic illnesses. For example, the list of most common genetic disorders to affect Chihuahuas include luxating patella (or floating kneecap), hypoglycemia and teeth issues — none of which is fatal if addressed properly.

Lhasa apsos

Lhasa Apso

Image source: Statigram

Life span: 18-plus years

Lhasa apsos live impressively long lives, with the oldest on record dying at the age of 29 in 1939.

Beagles

Beagles

Image source: Statigram

Life span: 15-plus years

Butch, a purebred beagle who lived in Virginia with his family, was a reported 27 years old when he died in 2009.

Maltese dogs

Maltese dogs

Image source: Statigram

Life span: 15-plus years

Maltese pups suffer from few genetic diseases, which contributes to their long life span.

Pomeranians

Pomeranians

Image source: Statigram

Life span: 15 years

Pomeranians suffer from few life-threatening breed issues. The most common problem found in this breed is luxating patella (a knee problem).

Boston terriers

Boston terriers

Image source: Statigram

Life span: 15 years

While Boston terriers can suffer from respiratory problems due to their flat muzzles, the most common health problems of the breed have to do with the eyes (cataracts, corneal ulcers), which are certainly not life-threatening.

Poodles

Poodles

Image source: Statigram

Life span: 15 years

According to Woodman, poodles or poodle mixes have one of the longest life spans. “The oldest dog I remember treating was a 22-year-old poodle. That was just an estimated age. He may have really been more like 24 or 25,” Woodman says.

Dachshunds

Dachshunds

Image source: Statigram

Life span: 14 years

One of the Guinness World Records’ oldest living dogs was Chanel, a dachshund who died in 2009 at the age of 21.

Miniature schnauzers

Miniature Schnauzers

Image source: Statigram

Life span: 14 years

This hardy breed retains much of its "puppy spirit" into the senior years, staying active and healthy until late in life.

Pugs

Pugs

Image source: Statigram

Life span: 12 to 15 years

Bonus Breed:

The New Guinea singing dog is an exception to the “small dog = long life” equation. That’s because the rare New Guinea singing dog (also known as a “bush dingo”) is a medium-sized dog with a maximum height of 18 inches and a maximum weight of 31 pounds. The life expectancy of this breed? An impressive 20 years. The reason this breed doesn’t appear on many lists is because this is technically considered a wild dog.

More on dogs

17 Pugs you'll want to pin
10 Healthy tricks for your dog's body and mind
Top 10 smartest dogs in the world

Comments

Comments on "Top 10 longest-living dog breeds"

Suze March 18, 2014 | 11:16 AM

American Eskimo dog 16Yrs great dogs still full of pep, hard of hearing, cataract in one eye , and back legs not very steady but gets up and keeps on going she think she can run but does a hop n skip. Always happy Still loves her walks

Carole March 15, 2014 | 7:48 AM

Mike, rather than calling the writer of the article "a clueless moron," why didn't you prove your knowledge of the Pug by listing some major genetic problems? Your knowledgeable comments would have been helpful.

Will March 03, 2014 | 1:40 PM

While getting a divorce, my soon to be ex wife adopted a Lhasa Apso. Not wanting to be tied down, she gave him to me. Now 18, this dog relies on me for everything. I've missed every family function as traveling is out of the question. So, this cute little Lhasa and I are growing older together, next will be death.

Kendel March 02, 2014 | 10:08 AM

Why aren't Manchester Terriers on here? I have a Manchester who is only 3 right now but my last one was 18 and they average at least 15!

Frank H. February 28, 2014 | 5:54 PM

I have a wonderful dachshund male names Otto he will turn 17 on June 12, 2014. He is in great shape.

sharon February 20, 2014 | 4:29 PM

We have an English Bull Terrier, tricolour, who has just celebrated his 16th Birthday.

michaele February 17, 2014 | 4:08 PM

Don't buy puppy mill puppies from pet stores. My first Maltese lived to be 15. Maltese are known for having bad teeth....so get dental care early on. But I never heard of Maltese dying so young unless there is disease. Find a local breeder you can check out.

Sam February 14, 2014 | 7:30 PM

I had a husky/golden retriever mix who lived 18 years. He had many health problems when he was a senior but he lived a good long life. Juno was such a wonderful big fluffy dog...

Chriss February 12, 2014 | 5:36 AM

I have a minature schnauzer, named Max, who turns 14 this march 2014. He acts like he is still 4! However, he doesn't hear as well, but I think some of that is that "schanuzer attitude". I love him with all my heart. He is my Baby.

Chrissy January 14, 2014 | 12:43 PM

I have a miniature Schnauzer , Ruffles , he is 14 in April, he is doing really well apart from his eye sight is deteriating fast, He is eating more and sleeps more , but still has his mad puppy moments, and is very happy. he has been a brilliant pal.

vivian Iannotta January 08, 2014 | 11:44 AM

I just lost my toy maltese she was only eight.She was the third one we had the other lived till nine yrs.I was told she would live to at least fourteen.She was not a sickly dog,the vet said it was a nurological problem. it left a hole in my heart.I was told it was the breed.I don't no what to believe any more can you shed some light on this?We purchased her from the same pet store.Not that means anything,just looking for answers

MIke January 03, 2014 | 6:05 PM

"Pugs are prone to respiratory issues and overheating, but other than that, they have few major genetic problems." They have few major genetic problems? What a clueless moron.

Sean December 25, 2013 | 8:47 PM

Rat Terrier's can live to be 23.

Tiffany November 27, 2013 | 10:45 AM

My kid needs to know more about dogs. I know that is what she is still studdying !

Charlie September 29, 2013 | 10:16 AM