Naming pets after famous music icons has a long history (try finding a hound dog that isn't named Elvis anywhere in the South). From unforgivable puns on lead singers to esoteric indie bands, the Lollapalooza pantheon provides plenty of pet-naming opportunities.
Lollapalooza was Perry Farrell's way of saying goodbye to his influential and seminal band, Jane's Addiction. There was no way for him to know at the time the importance and impact his singular farewell would have on a generation of musicians... and now, your pet!
We've got some suggestions for your pets, inspired by the music, artists and spirit of Lollapalooza.
Pet names inspired by artists
With apologies to the artists (badly) punned on below, we can't help but notice some artists' names are just perfect for certain types of animals. Try naming your fur baby after one of these influential artists.
- Perry Ferret (Perry Farrell from Jane's Addiction)
- Billy Corgi (Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins)
- Franz Ferdinand for a dachshund or miniature pinscher
- Siouxsie for your beautiful but enigmatic jet-black cat (Siouxsie and the Banshees)
- Claypool for your gangly, awkward cat who loves to fish (Les Claypool from Primus)
- Froosh for your laid-back Californian surfer dog (a nickname for John Frusciante from the Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- Bootsy for your spirited kitty (after Bootsy Collins from George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars)
- Reznor for your brooding pet reptile (Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails)
- Skrillex for those who like both snakes and sick drops
- Tweedy for your rockabilly-loving songbird (after Jeff Tweedy from Wilco)
- Tegan and Sara for two sister kittens or puppies (Tegan and Sara)
- Zamora, Rupert, Cappy or Mister Lifto (from the Jim Rose Circus sideshow)
It's not all about the artists, though. Sometimes, a band's name lends itself to a unique pet name.
- Ting-Ting (the Ting-Tings)
- Ramone (The Ramones)
- Melvin (The Melvins)
- Pixie (the Pixies)
- G. Love (G. Love and Special Sauce)
- Disco Biscuit
Songs & album titles
If you're more about the music than the artists, take your inspiration from your favorite song or album title.
- Tommy for your tomcat and after "Tommy the Cat" from Primus
- Sparks for your lovably troublesome hamster or gerbil ("Sparks" from Coldplay, or if you prefer MGMT)
- Yertle the turtle (from RHCP)
- Maceo ("My cat's name is Maceo" from Jane's Addiction)
- Charlie Boy for a golden retriever or labradoodle (from the Lumineers)
- Minerva (Def Tones)
- Mr. Wendal for Arrested Development fans who have a Yorkie or tiny pooch
- Orestes for those with a penchant for Greek mythology or for those fans of A Perfect Circle who want a name for their cat that goes a little deeper than Sneakers or Mittens
- Hurley (Weezer's eighth studio album) for your Labrador retriever (and bonus points if you're a fan of "Lost" as well)
- Detlef for your military dog (from Band of Horses' "Detlef Schrempf")
Some other music-inspired names
- Mae (The Gaslight Anthem)
- Molly (from "Molly's Chambers" and "Molly's Hangover" by Kings of Leon)
- Hudson (from Vampire Weekend)
- Dory (from Grizzly Bear)
- Henrietta (the Fratellis)
- Glissandra (Smashing Pumpkins)
- Penny ("Pretty Penny" from Stone Temple Pilots)
More pet names
Pet names inspired by cult films
Pet names inspired by Brit coms
Pet names inspired by celebrity chefs