Get Cuddly With
These Canines

Whether you long for furry unconditional love at the end of a hard day or simply want to cuddle up with a lick-happy pup at a moment's notice, we're bringing you a list of the most affectionate dog breeds.

Chihuahua

Chihuahuas

Do you miss the Taco Bell commercials featuring this adorable dog breed? Fanna Easter, national dog training education specialist at Petco, recommends Chihuahuas because they are part of the American Kennel Club's Toy Group, which includes dogs that are bred to "embody sheer delight. [These dogs] will always be popular with people without much living space," she explains. "They make ideal apartment dogs and terrific lap warmers on nippy nights."

Labrador Retriever

Labrador Retriever

If you're not into lap dogs and want a dog you can really wrap your arms around, consider the faithful Labrador Retriever. Easter cautions, however, that Labs are part of the AKC's Sporting Group, which means you'll need to keep your pup well exercised. She explains that Labs were bred to work closely with humans, making them an ideal companion dog, but that "[they] were bred to work in a field all day — they have a good bit of energy."

Maltese

Maltese

Another toy breed, the Maltese is a great dog if you happen to have allergies. These happy pups don't shed much and tend to get along well with other dogs and even cats. However, they live for human contact, so be prepared to spend a lot of quality cuddle time with your pet.

Bichon Frise

Bichon Frise

Included in PetMD's list of most lovable dogs, the Bichon is a happy and playful pup that aims to please. The breed is known for its affection and getting along well with kiddos and other dogs. They are also known for excessive barking when left alone, so make time for lots of snuggling with this furry friend.

Up next: More affectionate dog breeds >>

Continue »

Comments

Comments on "15 Most affectionate dog breeds"

. March 02, 2014 | 3:53 PM

most dogs are affectionate with correct upbringing but I have noticed the staffordshire bull terrier in particular can be hyper affectionate

Meme January 25, 2014 | 7:00 AM

Breed alone does not determine affection. In regards to the chihuahua comments, don't judge unless you've owned one. They don't present well to people they don't know, but they are extremely protective of their family and are the one of the most affectionate breeds we have ever owned. They have added much joy to our lives.

Von Allen December 30, 2013 | 7:14 PM

Having been in dog rescue for years, I have found Old English Sheepdogs to be the most needy, affectionate dogs on the planet. The actually want to me hugged and mauled to the point there they climb onto you and try to sit on your lap. But this whole article is off base. SO much depends on early socialization and circumstance. Even so.. in my experience.. I have to say that I would never have placed a Chihuahua at the top of the list.

waldo December 30, 2013 | 5:31 AM

My Doberman is very sweet. I was warned by everyone before I got him that Dobermans are dangerous, he's going to go crazy one day, he's going to attack, he's going to kill my chihuahuas. I got mine when he was a puppy and familiarized him to people and dogs. I gave him lots of love, did not encourage aggression. He is the most lovable dog. He wants to always be by my side. Yes, I let him sleep on the bed and no he has never tried to be dominant because of this. He has his side of the bed but many nights I wake up and he is snuggled next to me with his head resting on my neck or shoulder. So sweet. I always give him lots of kisses which he seems to love.

Beeceebeach October 28, 2013 | 8:43 AM

This is a very poorly researched article. Bloodhounds? You have to be kidding. And, you don't even mention how important early socialization and positive training are to help any and all breeds of dog learn to be affectionate with humans. Thumbs down.

Denise September 20, 2013 | 5:10 AM

The picture accompanying #6 is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, not an English Toy Spaniel. They are both total love sponges, however, and I have two Cavaliers laying on me as I type this!

michael September 20, 2013 | 2:45 AM

ha have never met a friendly Chihuahua and you have named it no 1. what a load of ----. maybe because of its size you can force it to be ur no 1, who knows

Doreen September 07, 2013 | 4:20 PM

Have had 5 German Shepherds and all were loving, affectionate and so gentle with the children, protective with them even with a 6 month baby. In the family we have also had a Yellow Lab/Husky mix, fantastic - so gentle, Golden Retriever - wonderful dog, the remaining one is a Border Collie eight years old now - very affectionate. They were all treated as members of the family - which they were.

Lora September 06, 2013 | 3:29 PM

I was sad to see that the Shih Tzu didn't make the list. I have 5 and there is no more loving dog on the planet!

Bonnie Gaglione September 06, 2013 | 8:57 AM

We have a Black Lab who is so sweet & kind & never a problem, we adore our "Daisy". Before Daisy we had Samoyeds--I'm surprised you didn't mention them, they are also a very loving pet. At separate times we had 3 Samoyeds & each one was warm & loving.

lee September 06, 2013 | 6:55 AM

Where are the Welch Corgis? They should be at the top of your list!

Ines September 06, 2013 | 6:08 AM

This article is despicable. A dog's breed is absolutely not telling of how affectionate they will be. What's worst is that you seem to disqualify adopting a shelter dog because they might be less affectionate or mixed and that's somehow subpar to your pure breed, elitist mentality. Have you ever gone to an animal shelter or interacted with dogs there?