Get patriotic as you search for baby names. Look to our founding fathers (and mothers) for names with classic appeal and rich history.
We’ve found the best baby names inspired by our forefathers, along with enough to jog your memory so you know exactly who you’re naming your baby after. When your child asks who she was named after, you won’t hesitate to share the moving stories of important figures from our early history.
Baby boy names from the American Revolution
The men who fought for our nation’s independence shared one thing in common: They had strong, classic baby names. These traditional baby boy names are perfect for modern kids. Learn more about these important revolutionary forefathers.
- Alexander Hamilton: Serving as chief of staff to George Washington, Alexander Hamilton was a major force behind the Constitution.
- Benjamin Franklin: A well-known founding father, Benjamin Franklin is perhaps best known for his theories and studies on electricity.
- Elijah Isaacs: Serving in the militia in North Carolina, Elijah Isaacs built Fort Defiance in 1777.
- George Washington: The first President of the United States, George Washington presided over the drafting of the Constitution.
- James Madison: Known as the “Father of the Constitution,” James Madison was the fourth President of the United States.
- Nathan Hale: After being apprehended by British forces, Nathan Hale was hanged. He is known for saying, “I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country.”
- Paul Revere: Famous for alerting the revolutionary forces at Lexington and Concord, Paul Revere was a Boston silversmith.
- Samuel Prescott: From Massachusetts, Samuel Prescott was a patriot during the Revolutionary War.
- Thomas Jefferson: The third President of the United States, Thomas Jefferson was the main author of the Declaration of Independence.
- Timothy Matlack: An outspoken patriot, Timothy Matlack was a major player in the American Revolution.
Baby girl names from the American Revolution
While men held positions of power and authority during the American Revolution, women fought hard and often held positions of great influence with little recognition. Give your daughter a beautiful name inspired by a female patriot, or look to the last names of men from the American Revolution for edgy baby girl names like Madison, Prescott and Morgan.
- Abigail Adams: As First Lady of the United States, Abigail Adams counseled her husband, John Adams on matters of state and politics.
- Betsy Ross: Though there is no evidence to support it, Betsy Ross is commonly believed to have sewn the first United States flag.
- Mercy Otis Warren: An outspoken writer, Mercy Otis Warren composed propaganda during the American Revolution.
- Molly Pitcher: Considered folklore, Molly Pitcher represents the women who stood on the battlefields during the American Revolution.
More baby names
Baby names inspired by fine art
Pagan baby names
Game of Thrones baby names