If you're all about that wanderlust life and determined to keep your days filled with adventure, chances are your kid will be graced with the same spirit. Why not name them something that will match their thrill-seeking lifestyle?
Dictionary.com defines adventure as "an exciting or very unusual experience; participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises" — which doesn't sound like a bad gig for your new baby. Of course, there's nothing wrong with living a predictable, comfortable life, but doesn't an existence filled with discovery sound more enthralling?
These names are perfect for your little explorer.
One way to pass on your adventurous spirit is to bestow upon your baby the name of a famous adventurer. There are plenty of role models to choose from — men and women who pushed the limits to see and do things that haven’t been done before.
- Amelia Earhart: aviation pioneer
- Edmund Hillary: the first man to climb Mount Everest
- Eileen Collins: astronaut
- Emin Pasha: German explorer
- Freya Stark: travel writer
- Henry Hudson: English navigator and explorer
- Lincoln Ellsworth: American explorer
- Louise Boyd: Arctic explorer
- Marco Polo: legendary Venetian merchant traveler
- Mary Henrietta Kingsley: English explorer in Africa
- Mary Leakey: well-known anthropologist
- Nelly Bly: sailed around the world in 72 days
Real life requires bravery enough, but many famous fictional characters were also pretty fearless. From literature to film and even video games, these are some of our favorites.
- Alice: from Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Amelia Peabody: protagonist archaeologist from many Elizabeth Peters novels
- Bilbo Baggins: unlikely hero from J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit
- Dirk Pitt: treasure hunter from Clive Cussler’s novels
- Edmond Dantes: also known as swordfighter, treasure-seeker and adventurer the Count of Monte Cristo
- Harvey Cheyne: the seafarer from Rudyard Kipling’s Captains Courageous
- Indiana Jones: from the films of the same name
- Jim Hawkins: joined Long John Silver in Treasure Island
- Lara Croft: from the video game series Tomb Raider and the films of the same name
- Lyra Belacqua: heroine of Philip Pullman’s trilogy, His Dark Materials
- Nemo: not the fish, but the captain from Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- Sinbad: sailor from Arabian Nights
- Wendy Darling: she traveled to Neverland with Peter Pan and her brothers
Just for good measure, here are several baby names that just plain sound like they might be attached to a future explorer or adventurer. Get those baby hiking boots ready!
Boy baby names
Girl baby names