Parent's with newborn baby girl

Gender-bending baby names

Still searching for the perfect baby name? If you are looking for a modern and unique baby girl name, perhaps you should consider checking out the hottest new trend — boys’ names for girls!

Today’s parents are thinking outside of the box when searching for baby names, which is evident in the hottest new baby name trend of gender-bending boy names for girls.

Celebrity driven trend

Jessica Simpson jumped on this gender-bending trend when she named her daughter Maxwell Drew. She explained that the name is from her fiance’s middle name (Maxwell) and her mother’s maiden name (Drew).

Other celebrities give their child a masculine first name paired with a feminine middle name, such as Michelle Branch who named her daughter Owen Isabelle or Rachel Uchitel who named her daughter Wyatt Lilly.

Soleil Moon Frye and her daughter Jagger

Other stars, such as Soleil Moon Frye, went masculine all the way by naming her daughter Jagger Joseph Blue.

“Jagger was a name that we loved from the beginning of the pregnancy. We always wanted to be surprised by the sex and we felt like it was perfect for a boy or a girl,” Frye told People. “Joseph has a meaning that is so very close to our hearts. It was the name of our godfather... Blue, we just loved it.”

“We have always believed in the names within our family having a deeper purpose and for us, Jagger Joseph Blue was certainly one that came from the bottom of our hearts. She is beautiful, happy and healthy, which is what is most important, and the name makes us smile each and every day,” she said.

Check out more celebrity baby girl names with unisex or boys’ names:

• Sawyer: Talk co-host Sara Gilbert
  • Elliott: George Stephanopoulos
  • Emerson: Teri Hatcher
  • Wyatt Lilly: Rachel Uchitel
  • Arlo: Johnny Knoxville
  • Dylan: Joe and Heather Nichols
  • Jude: Alexis Stewart
  • Billie: Eric Dane and Rebecca Gayheart
  • Lou: Heidi Klum

Gender-bending baby names

If you are considering a unisex or gender-bending name for your baby girl, check out the below ideas, which we have broken down into unisex names and, for the more adventurous, boy names for girls.

These unisex names won’t raise many eyebrows as they are often given to both girls and boys:

The following baby names are more often given to boys, however would make cool girls’ names as well. You can also consider giving your child a feminine middle name to balance out the masculine first name.

Tell us

What do you think of this gender-bending baby name trend?

Image credit: WENN.com

More baby names

Is your unisex baby name more popular for girls or boys?
Baby names your friends will want to steal
50 Pretty baby girl names

Tags: soleil moon frye

Comments

Comments on "Cool new trend: Boys' names for girls"

Logan March 12, 2014 | 1:58 PM

I am a 22 year old female and my name is Logan and I absolutely love it. I have over the years met so many ashley, jessica, sarah, taylor, emily's. When people meet me they say they tend to never forget because I have such a unique name, I wouldn't change having a boys/ mixed gender name. I have never been teased for my name and I have never met a guy who makes fun of my name instead they LOVE IT. It makes me feel different and unique and gives me a boost in confidence.

Dale Murphy February 18, 2014 | 9:24 PM

I'm actually laughing out loud at these comments. "Not to get gross, but can you imagine their husbands someday having to say "Oh, Michael" while they are intimate with them" I assure you this has never once hindered any of my intimate moments. If a dude has a problem with my name being a typical boy name, there's some deeper issues there.

Dale Murphy February 18, 2014 | 9:21 PM

Dale here. I'm a girl. I assure you it does not create any awkwardness when it comes to dating. Honestly, if a name is going to affect what you think of me, I'm not interested. If there was any confusion that I was a boy before someone meets me it's cleared up pretty quickly when I walk into the room. No biggie. It's just a name. I happen to like mine.

Leslie December 02, 2013 | 4:39 PM

I'm a little surprised at the idea of a boys name being "confusing" and "awkward" for girls growing up. My daughter's name is Elliot and I definitely don't think she should have been a son. A guy recently told me how cool it will be when she some day walks into an interview where the hiring manager assumes she's a boy and instead she's a hot girl. Makes me smile.

Janelle November 28, 2013 | 7:55 AM

This is certainly not "new." Ashley, Kelly, Sydney, Shelly, Taylor etc. etc. Even Madison. They all used to be boy names. We are used to them being girl names now but at the time when families started naming their girls these names they were very much old school boy names...

Reese October 23, 2013 | 11:11 AM

Personally, it's a stupid trend going on..it will only create confusion and awkwardness for the child as they grow up...you give a girl a guy name and most guys feel weird about it when it comes to things such as dating. Plus parents giving these names to girls are basically saying "you should have been a son" . Growing up is hard and awkward enough without the burden of added difficulty when it can be avoided...you won't see a guy named Rebecca...so why name a girl Ryan?.....it literally means"little king"...

Charly September 18, 2013 | 10:09 PM

I am a 21 year old college student and my name is Charly. I absolutely LOVE my name because it's a great conversation starter and gives me a chance to be a girl while, in a weird way, being accepted as "one of the guys". Growing up I played with the boys and girls but always saw myself strong and feminine. I had a great balance of views being a girl with a guy's name. Weirdly, I have found guys tend to listen and treat women with strong male oriented names with more respect and equality.

charlotte August 18, 2013 | 7:07 AM

This is only my opinion, but I think it's stupid and downright cruel to name a girl an outright boy's name. I get calling a girl something cute and tomboyish like "Andi" or "Frankie" or something but Michael? Elliott? Seriously? They are going to have people assuming they are men the rest of their lives. Not to get gross, but can you imagine their husbands someday having to say "Oh, Michael" while they are intimate with them? Umm? It's just weird. I think it's really unattractive and stupid and insensitive to the child who has to live their whole life with that ridiculous name. ...I am all for giving kids unique names. But this is really ridiculous, I can't wait till these girls grow up a little bit more and the poor education system has to deal with a slew of girl michaels and Jeffrey's. It's going to be a disaster.

sabrielbells July 26, 2013 | 10:31 AM

This trend has been going on for ages... Ashley, Leslie, Lindsay, Evelyn, Shannon, Courtney...All originally boys names. If you think this is a bad trend, I would recommend not naming your daughter any of these names. Your son could be Vivian Jody and have a very traditional masculine name. Or perhaps you want to name him Dana Lynn. Honestly, if you think it's a problem, maybe you need to look into your own gender identity-is it really tied to your name that much?

keladry12 July 26, 2013 | 10:22 AM

If your poor boys think that other people define their own gender, or that they have to be "tough" to be a boy, I feel sorry for you and your family. Goodness, if my sons thought they had to beat up other people to be a man, I would ground them for a couple years!

Lena July 12, 2013 | 10:00 AM

Hate the new trend...it's not cute or clever. It makes naming a boy very difficult. There are far less boys name now because if this, there's a double standard here. It's it cute for a boy for be named Sophia? If your answer is no then here lies the problem. I loathe double standards. All the boys named these trending girls names will have to deal with being teased. Very selfish and self satisfying. What if your daughter looks manly? Then what it will give her a complex. The name should mean something to the child and not just the parent. When I hear a boy name on a girl I think oh that parent is trying to be edgy and cool but failed to put there childs feelings above there own.

Alyssa July 09, 2013 | 11:17 PM

My best friend's name is Karson and her sister's name is Blake. Their mom also has a female dog named Charlie. I also know a girl named Hunter, a Tylr (Tyler), an Avery... I think it's a really cool idea and I would love to name a girl Billie or Frankie, even though my only daughter's name is very feminine (Violet). Karson wants to name her first daughter Peyton.

Tyllore July 02, 2013 | 8:37 PM

My name is Tyllore (Tyler) And I am a girl! I like having a boys name!!

Avery July 01, 2013 | 1:22 PM

My name is Avery and I'm a 33 year old woman...guess my parents were ahead of their time ;)

Krista June 13, 2013 | 1:15 PM

My daughter's nickname is Andi but her full name is Andrianna. I did not like Andrea so we came up with Andrianna instead.

Doug June 01, 2013 | 9:46 AM

It's stupid. Pretty soon women will think Geoffrey Alexander is such a CUTE girls name! Stick to your own damn names.

Zonian May 04, 2013 | 4:15 PM

I honestly love boys names for girl and other way around!!! I have a 6 month little girl and her name is Hunter Merlot, I get so many compliments on her name!! I want to stay uni for my next child to!!! People get over yourself there is tons of names out there for a girl or a boy! Be creative and stop crying over names!

eiaboca May 03, 2013 | 9:36 AM

Names change with the times and the culture; there is nothing wrong with changing who gets what name! Or inventing names!

Kirsten Farr May 02, 2013 | 1:22 PM

Please don't do this to your child. I have had no end of problems all my life because of my name, from getting semi bullied to keep getting mail addressed to ms k farr, to when you phone up a company or a company phones you and they don't believe you when you tell them your name. Had one company I was banking with thinking I was tupid, kept saying can I have your name, told them no your name not your wifes! Arrrgh! Its not fair to your kid!

Teuila April 22, 2013 | 5:48 PM

I love boy names for girls. I have a daughter named Adrien & the other one Devynn.