What were the best and worst celebrity baby names of 2012? From Drew Barrymore’s Olive to Beyonce’s baby Blue and Reese Witherspoon’s son Tennessee, check out our pick of the best and worst names of the year. Who knows? You just may find the perfect baby name.
Celebrity baby names are often trend-setting, always buzzworthy and occasionally worthy of a “what were they thinking?” With the end of the year approaching, it is time to round up the best and worst celebrity baby names of the year.
Best celebrity girl names
What a year for celebrity baby names! The most buzzworthy celebrity girl names of the year were Blue Ivy, Beyonce’s daughter, and the gender-bending name of Jessica Simpson’s daughter, Maxwell.
My pick of the best celebrity baby girl name of the year is... (drum roll, please):
Kourtney Kardashian’s daughter Penelope, followed closely by Jack Osbourne’s choice of Pearl Clementine.
Here are more great celebrity girl names of 2012:
- Vivian Lake - Gisele Bundchen and Tom Brady
- Olive Barrymore - Drew Barrrymore
- Olive Pearl - Jake Owen
- Fiona - Chad Lowe
- Delta Fay - JT Hodges
- Sienna - Adriana Lima
- Etta Jones - Carson Daly
- Violet Isabel - Dixie Chick's Emily Robison
- Maple Sylvie - Jason Bateman
- Delilah Grace - Patrick Fabian
- Kline Olivia - Country singer Mike Eli
- Cecilia Delphine - Actors Majandra Delfino and David Walton
- Dixie Pearl - Caleb Followill
- Poppy James - Jessica Capshaw
- Isabetta Rose - Rob and Amber Mariano
- Clover Clementyne - Natasha Gregson Wagner and Barry Watson
- Blue Ivy - Beyonce and Jay-Z
- Willa Lou - Keri Russell
- Sebella - Roselyn Sanchez & Eric Winter
- India Rose - Chris Hemsworth
- Lucia - Mira Sorvino
- Ruby Jeanne - Marley Shelton
- Maxwell Drew - Jessica Simpson
- Gloria Ray - Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard
- Mabel Ray - Bruce Willis
- Elliotte Anne - Marla Sokoloff
- Romy Hero - Sam and Aaron Taylor-Johnson
- Beatrice Jean - Bryce Dallas Howard
- Faith Evangeline Elisa - Kelsey Grammer
- Marlowe Ottoline - Sienna Miller
Best celebrity boy names
It seemed like many celebs were on the same page when it came to baby boy names. Both Vanessa Lachey and Kristin Cavallari picked the cute name Camden, while Reese Witherspoon and Jemima Kirke picked the southern names of Tennessee and Memphis.
My pick of the best celebrity boy name of the year is... (drum roll, please):
Dallas quarterback Tony Romo’s son Hawkins, followed closely by Tori Spelling’s son Finn.
Check out more of the top celebrity boy names of the year:
- Edward Duke - Giuliana and Bill Rancic
- Jack - Anna Faris and Chris Pratt
- Tennessee James - Reese Witherspoon
- Memphis - Jemima Kirke
- Camden John - Nick and Vanessa Lachey
- Micah Emmanuele - Sarah Drew
- Miller - Scott Wolf
- Zane - Heather Tom
- Alexander John - Tom Ford
- Macallister - Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer
- Spencer Frederick - Donald Trump Jr.
- Noah Shannon - Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green
- Tucker - Melissa Joan Hart
- Zander Jace - Billy Martin
- Kendrick Kurt - Kelly Stables
- Callen Christian - Drew Brees
- Leo James - Courtney Ford and Brandon Routh
- Camden Jack - Kristin Cavallari
- Sky Cole - Elizabeth Berkley
- Brooks Alan - Molly Sims
- Luca Cruz - Hilary Duff
- Jackson - Charlize Theron
- Truman - Alexis Stewart
- Samuel Garner - Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck
Worst celebrity baby names
Many of these wacky and weird baby names left us scratching our heads and wondering — what were they thinking?
The honor of the worst baby name of the year goes to Bristol Palin’s ex Levi Johnston, who named his daughter Breeze Beretta. Yes, as in a Beretta gun.
Hawaii Five-O star Alex O'Loughlin is close behind for worst baby name of the year after naming his son Lion.
Uma Thurman made the list because she gave her daughter the ridiculously long baby name of Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence. Although, we do like her nickname of Luna, which ironically is not in her actual name.
Check out the complete list of the worst baby names of the year:
- Magnus - Sugarland's Jennifer Nettle's son
- Rocky James - Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr.'s son
- Wilhelmina Jane - Natalie and Taylor Hanson's daughter
- Baker - Leigh-Allyn Baker’s son
- Theodora Rose - Robbie Williams' daughter
- Lorenzo Dominic - Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's son
- Sabbath Page Wielandt - Zakk Wylde's son
- Indi Joon - Josie Moran's daughter
- Emet Kuli - Lisa Loeb's son
- Keeva Jane - Alyson Hannigan's daughter
- Halcyon Juna - Beth Littleford's daughter
- Bastian Kick - Jeremy Sisto's son
- Exton Elias - Robert Downey, Jr.'s son
- Ethel Mary - Lily Allen's daughter
- Adalaide Marie Hope - Katherine Heigl's daughter
New celebrity baby name trend: No names!
This has also been the year of celebrities having babies — and not announcing the name! True Blood star Anna Paquin had twins this year, but has kept both the names and sex of the babies a secret (although US Weekly reports she had a boy and a girl).
Singer Adele had a son this year, but has yet to release the name and actually faces a fine in the U.K. for not registering his name. The Wonder Years star Fred Savage is another star who has yet to announce the name of his son.
Do you agree with our picks? What is your pick of the best and worst baby names of the year?
More baby names
Cool retro baby names
Top 100 baby girl names and baby boy names
Baby names Kate Middleton would totally love