Nick Jr.’s latest brainchild — “adults only” programming targeted at moms called NickMom — has not only suffered from poor ratings but has seen a severe backlash from moms, as well as the network’s advertisers.

Plummeting ratings, irate moms

Do you think they should revert back to their original format or should complainers get a grip?

Nick Jr., a channel devoted to television programs for toddlers and preschoolers, has been entertaining little ones for over a decade (it debuted as Noggin and relaunched as Nick Jr. in 2009). Any time, day or night, a parent could tune in and let their small child watch popular shows like "Dora the Explorer." However, earlier this month, a block of programming aimed toward moms debuted, and has since earned the ire of parents everywhere. So what’s the big deal?

NickMom

NickMom is a block of TV time just for moms — beginning at 10 p.m. eastern and running until 12 a.m. (the block repeats once until 2 a.m.), moms can tune in and watch mom-centric comedy after their kiddos are tucked into bed. That’s what the idea was, anyway — turns out that the network has seen a 75 percent decline in viewership (when compared to the same timeframe last year) and parents everywhere are creating a big headache for Nick Jr.

Precarious start

Before the NickMoms programming even launched, the new brand extension had already created bad blood with some very influential moms — and dads too. In preparation for launching the television programming, NickMoms launched a website purporting to be "Motherfunny" and filled with captioned images and other brief content poking fun at children and parenting. The problem? NickMoms sourced content from blogs and social sharing sites without asking permission from copyright owners — or even properly crediting on the NickMoms site. News traveled fast around the blogosphere, social networking and the greater web and the company apologized... eventually. NickMoms also created a special email address for bloggers to report copyright issues so they could be evaluated and handled. Still, when NickMoms programming started, it had already left a bad impression on a lot of potential viewers.

Unnecessary

Most moms think the change is unnecessary at best, and seriously inappropriate at worst. “There are hundreds of channels for adults,” Rachelle, mother of two, told us. “It's ridiculous that they took the one channel devoted to toddlers and made it unusable at night. It was nice to have the option to turn it on when my kids were sick at that time of day. Now, we'll have to use Netflix.”

Stacy from Texas felt the same way. “NickMom is funny enough, but it starts at 9… too early, in my opinion,” she explained. “There are some nights that my girls have trouble falling asleep and we watch cartoons to settle down. Now that NickMom has taken over, we have to find another network to watch.”

Inappropriate

Jessica from Wisconsin agreed that the channel should revert back to its original format. “I don't like it at all because my nieces and daughter don't always go to bed before 10,” she shared. “I just want some Dora, not adult entertainment. The idea of it is good, but I just don't think taking a channel geared for children is the best. I found out about it the hard way — I came into the room after trying to lay my niece down to sleep out on the couch (she was sick) to a discussion about sex and boobs.”

Read about the announcement of NickMom: It's Nickelodeon for adults >>

Moms not interested

Not only do moms dislike the removal of kids’ shows in the late night hours, Nick Jr. is hardly a channel they will turn on if they want adult programming. “Sometimes I need Nick Jr. at midnight,” said Kimmy from Florida. “If I want racy, I'll watch HBO.”

Will they listen?

With parents taking over Nick Jr.’s Facebook page and threatening to boycott NickMom’s advertisers, we’ll have to see if they will rethink their decision to sway from commercial-free children’s programming and delve into shows that only adults should be watching.

Tell us

Is NickMom something you'd watch or was it a bad move to replace children's shows with adult content?

More on kids and television

Is TV really bad for children?
The least expensive babysitter
Television as a conversation starter

Comments

Comments on "NickMom's racy programming spells bad news for Nick Jr."

Erica March 09, 2014 | 7:17 PM

I live on the West Coast so, nick mom comes on at 7pm. My son doesn't like any of the shows that comes on. Why should we have to suffer? You can either change the time, channel, or take it off the air. This is suppose to be a children channel.

Whitney June 29, 2013 | 8:29 PM

Nickmom needs to be removed! To many kids out there know how to turn the tv on at night and I personally do not want my child hearing that stuff they put on there!! Nick is not an adult channel..

Jones sabo let alone the way try to pretend that 'everything could brilliant April 11, 2013 | 9:04 AM

I'll right away grasp your rss feed as I can not in finding your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me recognize in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks. Jones sabo let alone the way try to pretend that 'everything could brilliant http://oh-my-code/showthread.php?56205-Jones-sabo-let-alone-the-way-try-to-pretend-that-everything-could-br&p=56673#post56673

Carol March 29, 2013 | 8:03 PM

I am usually not shocked too easily. After hearing about the change in Nick Jr. (This is a far cry from Maggie and the Ferocious Beast)I was prepared to see something a bit unusual. However, this show is inappropriate in many senses of the word! Is Nick Jr. alright??? How could they put adult programming on a channel with the logo Nick Jr? There has to be a time and place for everything. This channel is not the place for jokes and inappropriate suggestions. I am really saddened that the children who may be used to this channel being a comfortable place to look to will now have to share it with adults. It has to be seen to be believed. Nick Jr. should stick to children's programming and leave the adult stuff to adult type channels.

Erica February 08, 2013 | 6:03 PM

I don't care that there is a mom show at whatever time , what I DO care is the stupid commercial promoting the show and that my kid thinks I'm anxiously waiting for him to fall asleep because there is something better I want to do , that is tasteless and offensive . I am uncomfortable when it comes on . For child geared network , this is very child insensitive.

Heather January 31, 2013 | 8:12 AM

I don't care for the mom programming either. But now I'm annoyed because the commercial they play to advertise Nick mom, during the day between kids programming, is directly telling my child that she's a lot of work & I can't wait for her to go to bed, that I love it when she finally goes to bed! After a child hears that enough times they are going to believe it. That is not something I want my child to feel. I do not want her to feel that she is a pain & I look forward to not being around her. That's horrible Nick Jr!!!!

Anonymous January 09, 2013 | 10:50 PM

To the snide people telling parents how to raise their kids... Please stop. That's a liberal disease. Go get yourself checked. This garbage programming starts here at SIX PM! Which is my kids normal tv time. Yes she also gets read to as well. NickJr stated in brief messages in the past that it was a dedicated channel for kids and would never ever air commercials. Sounds like a broken promise to me. Now its clear that the new execs at Nick have become greedy and sold out to commercials despite Nick Jr being a premium channel (that means it costs more money to get it). They sold us saying it was a dedicated pre-schooler channel that aired kids programming 24/7. Now Moose A Moose and Zee are gone....and now we have commercials and tasteless standup programming for simpleminded grownups. I have even seen one person on there joking about being a soldier getting shot. Someone...Please explain to me the humor in that? By defending this junk programming, you are showing how simple minded you really are.

Ariel December 29, 2012 | 9:11 PM

I enjoyed the parental discretion show. Stop using TV as your babysitter people, and put your kids to bed at a decent time. a preschooler has no business watching TV after 8pm. Television is a horrible "wind down" activity before bed. Read them a book. Geez. If you spent half the time with your child as you did writing a lengthy "please bring the cartoons back" rant, they'd be much better off.

Liz December 23, 2012 | 7:11 PM

I also agree. I hate the Nick Mom segment. In my opinion, the comedy is not funny, the "reality" type show is boring. We stopped watching Nick after 10pm. My son often stays up past 10 and watched his favorite shows to settle down at night. Bring back the old shows!!!

Russ Castella December 18, 2012 | 8:03 AM

I rather them bring back the upside down show than this nickmom filth. Absolutely inappropriate and NOT even remotely funny.

jason December 04, 2012 | 9:07 AM

Why dont they have a Nick Dad? I bet there are more than a few Dads that take care of their kids durring the day. I have my 4.5 year old girl in the morning until my wife gets home at 5pm then I go to work till midnight. Maybe they could call it Parent Time

alisha December 03, 2012 | 7:18 PM

Go back to nick jr its the only channel with appropriate show for kids especialy late at nite.we dont need a nick mom on a kids channel!

elisa November 20, 2012 | 8:41 PM

Go back to nickjr. Why do we need this trash on nickjr? I am shocked at the content of the jojes and I only watched once for maybe 3 minutes. I work full time and I know my child enjoys her nickjr charachters in the evening hours. Most nights we dont even make it home till around 6:30 . Our kids need something they can watch and unwind from their day as much as we do. Please put nickjr back on and nickmom out!

Kate November 19, 2012 | 9:03 PM

For those whose TV's are getting filled with this programming at 7pm - I understand your disappointment. For those of you who aren't seeing it until 9pm or onward? Please get a grip. For a channel that you always let run in your houses on a day-to-day basis, you can't tell me that Nick's decision to gear programming to the mothers of such children at a later hour is a bad one. Late hours = parent hours. End of story. I work 50 hours a week at a highly demanding job and try to be super mom at the same time- all while feeling the pressures that have been super-imposed on us as parents - that didn't exist when we were children of course. . I constantly have funny stories to share about my experiences as a mother that I don't want to infiltrate Facebook with (note to women who do: stop.) and always want to hear other stories similar to the ones featured on NickMom because a) it makes me feel like my imperfect but hilarious life of parenthood isn't so imperfect after all and b) It is such a relateable laugh. Many of those who are in such an "outcry" are mad because either a) they allow their children to stay up until the crack of dawn glued to the TV or b) Are trying to live a utopian lifestyle that cannot possibly exist in the reality that is motherhood. Let's stop acting like we are holier than thou and accept a little unfiltered truths about motherhood. We deserve it. If you don't feel good about it? Simply turn it off.

Talia November 16, 2012 | 8:56 PM

IMO there in most kid households there are movies, and there are other cartoon channels. Personally, I think that the only mothers who are upset about Nick Mom are the ones with a stick up their asses. Put your kids to BED. Being a mom is both funny and sucky at different times. I was SO excited when I saw that FINALLY real women are telling the TRUTH about parenting. No sugarcoating, no pretending to be the perfect mom, and no guilting. Finally it is being told like it is and I LOVE this. Maybe women will finally stop caving to guilt to act like the perfect mother. As for me, my seven year old will be put to bed and sent back if he won't go to sleep, and i'll sit with my glass of wine and enjoy the awesomeness.

Eva November 13, 2012 | 4:58 PM

NickJr was geared for preschoolers and toddlers. Adding adult programming shouldn't have been added to one of the very few channels solely geared for children. There are times when kids are up late at night, and not all kids are asleep at 9/10pm. This just forces parents like myself to look for alternative channels. Kids13 and the HUB will see increased viewership as our children begin watching their programming instead of NickJr. To add insult to injury the content on NickMom isn't even mildly funny. I am not against adult comedy by any means just don't find it appropriate on NickJr, and don't find any of their content to even make me crack a smile. I will agree that we as adults have enough channels to watch and NjckJr shouldn't have been taken from our children. If NickMom wanted to launch this they should have done so on another channel.

mrs.coop November 11, 2012 | 9:36 PM

So happy to turn the tv on after my son has gone to bed and it's not cartoons even when I left it on the same channel earlier! The comedy is great, I wish it was entirely a comedy block rather than adding the reality show and old shows with pop ups.

Nicole November 11, 2012 | 7:42 PM

I let my kids fall asleep to nickjr everynight. Tonight, as I went to check on my son, I heard a woman on nickjr a.k.a. nickmom talking about "VD" and her vagina having an allergy. This is terrible content for a childrens network. There are plenty of other networks for mothers to watch afterhours. I always thought that nickelodeon was safe for my kids, but to gain more money, nick has sold out the kids and joined the ranks of the other filthy networks. Way to ditch the kids and fatten your pockets Nick!!!

Vonceal Rouse November 11, 2012 | 4:15 PM

Get that show off the air. A bunch of old biddies talking for an hour is not a thing I wish to watch. What the heck happened?

Andrea November 10, 2012 | 5:49 PM

This is probably the worst move NickJr could have made. First, they got rid of Moose and Zee, and now they decide to put an obviously R rated block of shows on a PRESCHOOL channel. I have fervently tried to get my son to watch any other cartoon, but he just loves the shows on NickJr. I wish the corporations running and sponsoring NickJr would just listen to us. We're not interested in NickMom and we are most certainly not happy about the channel they chose to put it on. I refuse to watch a show that insists on telling the world that all moms do all day is sip on wine, bashing our children and motherhood in general, and coveting the next and nearest penis. Now maybe I'm completely doing this whole mom thing wrong, but my day typically consists of loving my son, running around in circles trying to keep my home clean, working, and planning to do it all again the next day. Could they have not at least given us (you know, the ACTUAL parents they are trying to appeal to) the option of an online poll or something as to whether or not we even wanted NickMom?