Things To Do To Make Your Life Easier

Before you go to bed every night, take a little time to wind down and get prepared for the next day. You'll find your home and family will be more organized, and you'll be a lot happier if you do these six things before going to bed each night.

mother reading bedtime story

Read to your kids

No matter how hectic your day has been, take time out to read with your children each night. Snuggling in bed to read with your children is a terrific way to bond. Plus, it promotes literacy, improves vocabulary and spelling, and encourages a love of reading. You can begin reading to kids as soon as they are born (and even before). When children get older, you can have family reading time. Sit around the living room, each with your own book, and read silently for 30 minutes before bedtime, or take turns reading pages aloud from a single book.

Lay out clothes for the next day

Getting kids dressed is always a struggle — whether they are toddlers or teens. Prepare the night before by laying out clothes for the next day. Each child (and adult) should pick out what they are going to wear the next day — all the way down to the shoes, socks and accessories. This will shave minutes off your morning routine, and also allow you to have time to launder or repair any clothing that needs it.

Do one load of laundry

Do you hate spending your entire Saturday doing the laundry? You won't have to if you do one load of laundry each night before going to bed. Spreading out the laundry throughout the week will free up extra time on the weekend to relax or enjoy something fun.

Make a list

We don't mean a to-do list (though you can do that too). We are talking about a mini journal or a list of gratitude. Write down all the special little things that happened that day — milestones or accolades of your kids, funny encounters or anecdotes, things for which you are thankful, etc. Writing down all the great things that happen in life every single day can be a great reminder of all the blessings in your life, especially after a hard day.

Clean up

Quick tip:

Make a chore chart to help keep your house clean, organized and clutter-free. Assign age-appropriate chores to each child, and reward them with gold stars, stickers and family movie nights.

You don't want to spend every day cleaning. But by taking 15 minutes to put the dishes in the dishwasher and pick up the clutter, you won't be left with a big mess later. Have your kids pitch in to help or delegate certain chores that need to be done every evening before bedtime.

Relax and wind down

In order to take care of everyone else in your life, you need to take care of yourself first. Take at least 15 minutes each night before you go to bed to relax and wind down. Small bits of relaxing "me" time can help reduce stress as well as improve your overall mood and attitude. Meditate, do a little yoga, watch TV or do something else you enjoy. You'll see that just a few minutes of relaxation time everyday can make a tremendous difference in your life.

More about family

Breaking bread: The importance of family meal time
5 Everyday ways to bring your family closer
6 Reasons to start your morning 30 minutes earlier

Comments

Comments on "6 Things to do before bed every night"

judy July 17, 2013 | 10:28 AM

you forgot "Pray"

t May 23, 2013 | 1:33 PM

another concept on the laundry is just add the load to the washer until its full, then, just add soap and start the washer. that way you don't have to go the extra step of going from the basket to the laundry machine

Danielle April 25, 2013 | 2:00 AM

I think it depends on how many people are living with you. If you have a spouse and a child or two then yeah maybe a load a night isn't a bad idea considering all that happens in just a day. But I can see how it might not be practical.

Tarbearry February 17, 2013 | 4:25 AM

Regarding the laundry: maybe a load every second night if you don't need it every night.. I think it's a great idea, not necessarily trying to be wasteful.. If you're only doing the same amount of laundry you would do on the weekend spread out, it WOULD create more time.. And wouldn't be wasteful... I think some people took that too literally., lol

Heather February 02, 2013 | 12:33 AM

Regarding the laundry: If you don't NEED to..then don't...no point in picking nits over the list. It was kindly designed to help your night time routine. If you don't need help...how about being quietly grateful instead.

Rand February 02, 2013 | 12:21 AM

A load of laundry a night? Are you kidding?? That's insane.

pete moss January 20, 2013 | 7:25 AM

a load of laundry? are you an idiot? what kind of anal-retentive activity is that? plus its a waste of water, soap and electricity- do you guys ever think before writing some of these things?

Tiffany January 18, 2013 | 11:59 AM

My kids go to bed really early allowing me time to get a lot accomplished. Though they also wake up early, I like having that time in the evening.

Tiffany January 18, 2013 | 11:59 AM

shayna January 10, 2013 | 8:13 PM

these are most of the things i currently try to do before bed. i feel like i need that little time to organize the house and my mind before bed. it helps me feel better when i wake up.

tanzy January 10, 2013 | 4:13 AM

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL. A GOOD NIGHT KISS AND HUG. WITH AN I LOVE YOU.

Angel Nwaneri October 31, 2012 | 5:01 AM

Before you go to bed every night, take a little time to wind down and get prepared for the next day. read to the hearing of your children.

Nicole September 17, 2012 | 11:29 AM

Having a bedtime routine is important. Not only does it reduce stress but it promotes good sleep. I try to have the TV off one hour before I put my kids to bed. When the TV goes off my kids know this is the segue for getting ready to go to sleep. After my kids brush their teeth and climb into bed I read to them and tell them stories. My kids love it when I tell them stories and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it also because it allows me to imagine and be creative.

Britta September 16, 2012 | 9:56 PM

I don't know about one load of laundry a night. I don't usually accumulate a full load once a day, and doing one a night every week can add up in water and electricity costs.

Hannah September 14, 2012 | 2:51 PM

Laying out clothes for the next day is always a good idea. I wore a uniform growing up and my mom loved that! It made mornings so easy since I wore the same thing everyday. My kids do not wear a uniform, so I make them pick out their outfit the night before.

Katie September 14, 2012 | 2:50 PM

I agree with all of these, the most important being relaxing and winding down. Days can be long and challenging as a mom, and you need to take some time for yourself to unwind and appreciate all you have. After all, kids are a blessing and time goes by so fast, so hold on to all those precious moments.