With Your Kids
You're beating summer boredom with tons of crafts for kids, but when you whip up your own craft supplies at home, you won't have to run through your summer fun budget too! From learning how to make your own playdough to finding tried-and-true finger paint recipes, your kids will not only love creating their own masterpieces when you're done, they'll love helping to prepare these crafts supplies you can make at home!
(page 2 of 2)
How to make moon sand
Although most moms can attest that they aren't moon sand's biggest fans, kids love this moldable play sand more than the old-school stuff you'll find on the playground.
- 3 cups colored play sand
- 1-1/2 cups cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water plus more as needed
- Clean hands
- Combine play sand and cornstarch in a bowl and mix well with your hands.
- Add water and combine, adding additional water in small amounts as needed until desired consistency is reached; but be cautious not to add too much or you'll end up with a soupy mess.
- Store in airtight container and add a tablespoon or two of water before playing when homemade moon sand begins to dry out a bit.
- Tip: The most vital ingredient in this moon sand recipe is the play sand; using gritty sandbox sand won't mix like the fine craft-grade kind you can pick up in most craft stores and toy stores.
Non-toxic homemade craft glue
When it comes to crafts, you'll almost always need glue, so instead of heading to the store for this sticky stuff, head to your kitchen and mix up a batch that's even OK — but not tasty — to eat.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Small saucepan
- Combine flour and sugar into a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix water and vinegar; combine both in saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir mixture with whisk until warm and becomes a smooth, thick consistency, but avoid boiling; the homemade fusion will thicken upon standing.
- Remove from heat and cool before transferring to container.
Source: Eco Child's Play
Read more craft tips
5 Best budget craft supplies to have on hand
Plan a family craft night
Beach crafts for kids