What are kids supposed to get their moms on Mother's Day? The answer is something special, something handmade. There is no greater joy than receiving something your child has made just for you — and seeing your child's face when you open their special gift. Check out these creative homemade Mother’s Day keepsakes that any mom will cherish.
Heart thumbprint necklace
Give your mom a necklace that shows just how much you love her — with your thumbprint.
- Oven-bake clay
- Glass baking dish
- Drinking glass
- Jewelry cord
- Take a piece of oven-bake clay and roll it into a 1/2-inch ball.
- Place the ball in the glass baking dish and flatten it with the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Have your child make 2 thumbprints in the clay to form the shape of a heart.
- Use the straw to make a hole at the top of the clay, then bake clay in the oven according to the package instructions.
- Remove the clay from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Once the clay is cool enough to handle, cut a long piece of jewelry cord. Fold it in half and slide the looped end of the cord through the hole. Slide the 2 loose ends of the cord through the loop and pull tight to secure the cord, then tie the ends in a knot to make a necklace.
Handprint flower canvas
Start this tradition now and show Mom just how fast her babies grow each year. Mom will love hanging these homemade canvas prints — and enjoy looking back at them as her babies get older.
- Washable paint
- White wrapped canvas frame
- Paint your child’s hands with washable paint.
- Near the top of the canvas, carefully press each hand on the canvas.
- Paint or draw a green stem with leaves coming from each handprint to create the flowers.
- Paint or write your children’s names and ages below each flower.
- Paint or draw the year in one of the corners.
Mother’s Day framed letter
Use this example or come up with your own to encourage your children’s creativity and capture their feelings for Mom at the same time.
- Picture of your child
- Photo glue
Mother’s Day letter example:
I love my mom because she _______________.
My mom helps me ____________.
My mom is the best at ______________.
My favorite thing to do with my mom is _______________.
My mom is happy when she _______________.
It makes me happy when my mom ________________.
My mom looks pretty when she ________________.
My mom makes the best _____________.
- For a younger child, read the letter out loud and fill in the blanks for him or her.
- For an older child, have your child write in his or her own words to complete the letter.
- You can leave the letter in your child's handwriting or older kids can help younger ones type up the poem on the computer before framing it.
- Glue the picture of your child to the bottom of the letter.
- Include your child’s name, age and the date.
- Place the finished product in a frame.
Mother’s Day pen planter
Whether Mom works in an office or from home, this pen planter will make a great addition to her work space and remind her of her beautiful children each time she sits down to write a note.
- Small ceramic pot
- Small decorative rocks or dried pinto beans
- Ballpoint pens
- Green ribbon
- Card stock
- Hot glue gun
- Double-sided tape
- Picture of your child
- Take your picture and cut a circle around your child’s face.
- With double-sided tape, tape the picture on the card stock, leaving a few inches of paper around the picture.
- With a pencil, draw a flower around the picture.
- With scissors, cut the flower from the card stock, then set aside.
- Take any caps off of the ballpoint pens.
- Apply a small dot of hot glue at one end of the pen.
- Carefully and quickly wrap the end of the green ribbon around the glue.
- Continue wrapping the green ribbon (tightly) around and up the pen.
- Apply another small dot of hot glue to the other end of the pen.
- Wrap the ribbon around the glue, cut off any excess.
- Apply a small dot of hot glue to the back of the card stock flower and press it tightly against the bottom/side of the pen.
- Fill the pot with small rocks or dried beans.
- Place the pens in the pot with the flower side up.
If you want to add color or a special message to Mom, you can decoupage or paint the pot. Also keep in mind that only older teens and adults should handle the hot glue gun.
More Mother's Day fun for kids
5 Mother's Day crafts for kids
20 Edible Mother's Day gift ideas
20 Homemade Mother's Day gift ideas