Yes, we love classic baby boy names, but we're also totally into the saying "out with the old and in with the new" when it comes clothing, housewares and tons of other aspects of our lives — so why should naming our babies be any different? Traditional names will always hold a place in our hearts, but it's time to usher in a new era of super cool names.
These names have unique twists that will give any little man some serious swagger.
Underrated and unique boy names
These names are super underrated, which is what we like! Is one of these cool guy names what you are looking for?
Tough boy names
We love these tough guy names because they have a confident air to them, which often happens when you add the letter “Z” or “X” to a baby name (such as Axel or Zander). Names like Hercules or King, however, would make it seem like you are trying too hard, while names like Rocco or Gunner stand out on their own as tough names. Check out our picks below:
Next Up: Boy names with cool meanings
Originally published February 2016. Updated June 2017.
Boy names with cool meanings
Some parents are looking for a baby boy name that also has a great meaning. We have rounded up names that have it all. These names sound cool and have some depth.
- Bryant: Celtic name meaning “strong”
- Chasin: Hebrew name meaning “strong”
- Kemen: Spanish name meaning “strong”
- Donovan: Celtic name meaning “strong fighter”
- Griffin: Welsh name meaning “strong in faith”
- Felix: Latin name meaning “lucky”
- Faust: Italian name meaning “lucky”
- Chance: English name meaning “good fortune”
- Frederik: German name meaning “leader”
- Brendan: Gaelic name meaning “brave”
- Farrell: Celtic name meaning “brave”
- Hardwin: English name meaning “brave friend”
- Baldwyn: German name meaning “brave friend”
- Sebastian: Greek name meaning "revered"
- Dustin: English name meaning "valiant"
- Neron: Spanish name meaning "strong"
Celebrity boy names
Celebrities always seem to have their fingers on the pulse of cool and unique baby names. Many recent celebrity baby boys have been given names that have a classic or old-fashioned sound to them. For inspiration, check out the following:
- Ace: Singer and actress Jessica Simpson
- Cruz: Singer Victoria Beckham and athlete David Beckham
- Magnus: Actress Elizabeth Banks
- Saint: Rocker Pete Wentz
- Apollo: Singer Gwen Stefani
- Milan: Singer Shakira and Gerard Pique
- Mason: Reality star Kourtney Kardashian
- Axl: Fergie and Josh Duamel
- Milo: Actress Alyssa Milano
- Duke: E! News host Giuliana Rancic
- Camden: Actress Vanessa Lachey
- Oliver: Actress Ginnifer Goodwin
- Jaxon: Laguna Beach alum Kristin Cavallari
- Otis: Actress Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis
- Kase: Singer Jewel
- Marcelo: Actress Ali Landry
- Colt: John Rich of the band Big & Rich
- Xander: Actress January Jones
- Arlo: Actress Toni Collette
- Milo: Actress Alyssa Milano
- Felix: Actress Elizabeth Banks
- Max: Actress Cynthia Nixon
- Leo: Actress Penelope Cruz
- Flynn: Actor Orlando Bloom