Baby boy names with serious swagger

Are you looking for a baby boy name with serious swagger? Research has shown that parents who regret their baby name choice say it is because the name is too popular. You won’t have that problem if you choose one of our cool boy names.

Unique and cool baby names for boys

We have rounded up the coolest baby boy names with serious swagger. Seriously. These baby names are unique, edgy, trendsetting and stand out in a crowd.

If you are looking for a popular baby boy name like Jacob or Mason, our list from the Social Security Administration’s top baby names might be for you. However, if you want a more unique name, check out our list below!

Underrated and unique boy names

We love these boy names because they have serious swagger but are underrated, which is what we like! Is one of these cool guy names what you are looking for?

Check out more baby boy names >>

Tough boy names

We love these tough guy names because they have a confident air to them, which often happens when you add the letter “Z” or “X” to a baby name (such as Axel or Zander). Names like Hercules or King, however, would make it seem like you are trying too hard, while names like Rocco or Gunner stand out on their own as tough names. Check out our picks below:

Boy names with cool meanings

Some parents are looking for a baby boy name that also has a great meaning. We have rounded up names that have it all. These guy names sound cool and have a great meaning.

• Bryant: Celtic name meaning “strong”
  • Chasin: Hebrew name meaning “strong”
  • Kemen: Spanish name meaning “strong”
  • Donovan: Celtic name meaning “strong fighter”
  • Griffin: Welsh name meaning “strong in faith”
  • Felix: Latin name meaning “lucky”
  • Faust: Italian name meaning “lucky”
  • Chance: English name meaning “good fortune”
  • Frederik: German name meaning “leader”
  • Brendan: Gaelic name meaning “brave”
  • Farrell: Celtic name meaning “brave”
  • Hardwin: English name meaning “brave friend”
  • Baldwyn: German name meaning “brave friend”

Celebrity boy names

Celebrities always seem to have their thumb on the pulse of cool and unique baby names. Many recent celebrity baby boys have been given names that have a classic or old-fashioned sound to them. For inspiration, check out the following:

• Kase: Singer Jewel
  • Marcelo: Actress Ali Landry
  • Colt: John Rich of the band Big & Rich
  • Xander: Actress January Jones
  • Arlo: Actress Toni Collette
  • Milo: Actress Alyssa Milano
  • Felix: Actress Elizabeth Banks
  • Max: Actress Cynthia Nixon
  • Leo: Actress Penelope Cruz
  • Flynn: Actor Orlando Bloom

Dig into our database of over 30,000 names by clicking the banner below.

Top baby names

More on baby names

Weird baby names (we secretly like)
Tough baby names for boys
50 Edgy baby names for boys

Comments

Comments on "Baby boy names with serious swagger"

Rachel March 08, 2014 | 4:38 PM

Dear Roy, I have loved your name for a long time, so if you think it's strange, you're wrong! And I never think of dogs when I hear your name. :) P.S. The names Zane and Dustin are actually pretty popular these days, so it's no surprise if you hear them. Dear Mary, that was an incredibly rude comment, Chance is a really cool name! And although I personally don't love the name Thorn, someone else in this world loves it! I love names like Rosella, Blake and Cedric.

AC February 26, 2014 | 1:04 PM

I couldn't agree with L's comment more! While I believe every parent has the right to name their child whatever they like I do tend to think they don't think ahead of how some names will impact their kids. While Sun, Moon or Stars might have a lovely meaning for you think of how that child will be treated in high school or how that will read on a job application. (You can always refer to them as your sun, moon or stars at home - it would be something special you share.) If someone can't pronounce a certain name or discern gender they might be passed over or not even considered for a job. Who wants to suffer the embarrassment of calling Emerson for a job interview and thinking he's a man only to find out it's a woman... already off to a bad start! Also, kids and people in general are cruel enough... why give them more ammunition? I know of parents who LOVED their child's name only to be wrought with guilt over that child being ridiculed for it - not to mention the child feeling animosity towards their parents for having their name. Personally, I love more traditional and classic names - there's a reason why they are ageless. They suggest strength and longevity. Uber-trendy names to me are like shoulder pads... at some point in time everyone thought they were cool. Now they are looked at as being ridiculous and dated. Besides, with so many folks going the trendy route, classic, more traditional names seem trendy! My son Michael (named after his grandfather) is the ONLY Michael in school or any of his extracurricular activities! He's unique in every way! Bottom line, it's your kid so name them whatever you wish but PLEASE think of how their name will impact them in the long run!

Jon R February 16, 2014 | 4:05 PM

I have a son named Sunshine Bloom. To me, as I am his father, my son will always be a sunshine to me!!!

Deasha January 03, 2014 | 9:05 PM

I have an uncommon name and yes sometimes I have to tell people how to pronounce it but that doesn't mean my life is ruined. I ENJOY not being a common Mary, Emily, Elizabeth, Kayla or Lauren. Everyone Has those names. Why would you name your child something 50 million other people already have? It doesn't make you low class. To Mary- Your just very close minded.

Mitch December 11, 2013 | 4:08 PM

I love the old school names like Eric, Tyler & all the "V" names for a girl, like Victoria, Veronica & Valerie. My wife doesn't like them so much though and would rather something a bit more modern. She likes the name "Britton" for a girl, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any thoughts??

M November 27, 2013 | 9:16 PM

Oh what the hell do any of you care what anyone else names their kid?? It's such a big deal to you that you are spending time commenting on a website? If you want to use a traditional name, awesome! If you want to use a unique and different name, awesome too! Even if the spelling is weird or hard to pronounce...so are last names! Are you going to change a last name just to make a name easier to pronounce? I'll give you some ideas of some names that are different and cool. Do whatever you want and don't listen to immature girls going around on the internet telling you that you are "dumb" or a "sheep" for choosing something you like. It's just like listening to girls in high school make fun of what other girls are wearing. Seriously juvenile and I really hope those girls aren't out having babies when they can't speak maturely to other people.

Heather November 05, 2013 | 8:46 PM

People are so weird with the crazy name thing! All of these "names" are just misspelled words that bored weirdos come up with! Everybody is doing it so your just another sheep!

Berry October 14, 2013 | 12:20 PM

How does anyone feel about the name Pierce Rosalind.... for a girl?

L September 07, 2013 | 3:14 AM

I think it's important to use common sense and think long term with names. If you have to tell people how to spell and/or pronounce your baby's name, just remember your child will have to the rest of their life. When I see names that are spelled "unique" on purpose, I don't think it's cool, I think their parents must not know how to spell. Trendy names may be cute now but, think about when they are grown and applying for a job, does their name sound smart and professional? I like timeless names like Luke, Michael, Ava, Sarah.

Cati September 01, 2013 | 7:43 AM

Levina, my neighbor has three sons whose names are Levi, Lennox, and Leland! What a coincidence!

Chloe August 25, 2013 | 4:56 PM

I don't have kids yet,but I've ALWAYS loved the names Ayanna(Pronounced: I-Ana), Nevaeh(Pronounced: Na-Vau), and Maeve(Pronounced: Mave)

Ione Skye August 18, 2013 | 1:10 AM

All you pregnant ladies up in the middle of the night? Same. Funny how we mommies create time or more of it. My daughter's are Electra Donatella Anais and Nevaeh Rain Jolie. My friend wants to name her son Vohn or Zion. Great names are great responsibilities. Much rather shoot for Greatness than common possibilities.

Ashley August 12, 2013 | 11:22 AM

One of my best friends named her son Chance, I wish I'd thought of it first! I absolutely love the name and he's a good looking kid to boot!

meghan marilyn August 06, 2013 | 4:26 PM

I'm pregnant with my first child. Don't know the gender yet but if it's a girl Arabella Diane, and if it's a boy Gavin (or Gavyn, haven't decided yet) Adrien. (both middle names have a special meaning to us, Diane being my partners grandmothers middle name and Adrien is the grandfathers first name) Since our last name is french and kind of long I tried to work around that with a shorter first and middle name for both but have always loved the name Arabella for a little girl. so thoughts? I love the idea of unique names, but for me its more about the spelling and meaning. I wouldn't mind naming my child something a bit more common but if so the spelling has got to be unique. Ether way just wanted to say that I notice that a lot of names people are saying won't work when the child gets older may as well be a popular or more common name when the child is older. Nobody knows what the future holds for anything and that INCLUDES baby names. You don't know when the name(s) August, Zenon, or Thorn may become popular or if the never will. Even with that said I think it's all about what the parents think of their child and that child's name... none of us have a right to judge each others choices in names for our little ones :) Meghan Marilyn

Roy July 17, 2013 | 10:33 AM

To the commenter who didn't care for the name "August", it's actually very masculine and even easier to pronounce as the French name "Auguste". Names give a first impression and people's minds will often match the name with something common (no offence, I found this very important on a subliminal level when hiring folks as a director at a hospital) ... here are some of my automatic name associations: Maxi(pad), Mason(jar), Dustin(hoffman/housework),Jax(off), Maximus(glutius), Titus(tit~us); Hardwin(easylose);Felix(the cat); Nixon(Richard); Porter(luggage). Ajax reminds me of laundry detergent, as does Landry; Hustin sounds "huffy". Some of the other popular names listed here can be modified too; if Thorn is too thorny for you, perhaps Thor or Thornton or Thorman? Some of my favourite 'traditional' names, which seem timeless include: Jennifer; Sharon; Beau; and I really like "December" for a girl's name, though it's a mouthful. Grey is also a masculine name for a boy. I knew a fellow named Justice, solid name, though also knew a fellow named "Justin" (just in from doin' the dustin' ;)No one takes my friend "Josh" seriously and great names like Joahua tend to get shortened, so please be mindful of that. A number of my friends were ridiculed in school for names like Velva, Dovey, Guntis, Analore ... kids can be cruel. In closing ... I would seriously think twice about using "Roy" ... and these thoughts come first hand with the best intentions and best wishes.

Roy July 17, 2013 | 9:54 AM

Ummm ... you've got me laughing here; first, Mary, please lighten up. Many of my best friends are named Mary and they generally live with grace and kindness. My first name if from my father; unfortunate, as my mother was mad with him for dying the month before I was born; I seldom hear my name and my friends have given me a number of nicknames which I do hear (Doggy, Goober, Boo, LeRoy to name a few). Mostly, I meet dog's with the name Roy. It's funny, because when I say it, most people hear Ray, Ron, Greg, Rory ;) There's even a dog food named "Ol' Roy" !!! Some of the more popular names now must confuse the poor teachers who have to remember them and some bring up images; of recent note young friends of mine have names like Mason (which even made his grandparents bust a gut, and they are very liberal); all of us immediately responded with "Jar" out loud. It's important that the names meld well with the middle names and surnames and important to consider that the names will stand the test of time (ie. when a girl is 55, the name "Candy" usually gets a laugh ;) On another note, several of my friends have named their girls Chloe and I can never find the accent to put on the "e" when emailing. At present, I have three friends named respectively, Allen, Allan, Alan, and then of course, there's Alain. I know three sisters named Teshema, Reshema and Seshema. At times (living on a lake) I often hear young parents calling out to their kids and chuckle ... "Ashton, would you and Bentley and Bridges and Zane please stop tormenting Dustin and Colebear and Colby and Rock!" I applaud you for trying out new names and encourage you to roll the names around in your mouths and heads, thinking of every angle. Also, check out the popular names of 100 years ago ... many of them are making a comeback. Many blessings, Roy

Stacie July 01, 2013 | 11:33 AM

@ Mary 5/22/13... your comment shows the only person without "class" is you making such an ignorant, prejudiced and unnecessary comment. A family will name their baby whatever suits them for their own reasons and that's great. Usually it is because for whatever reason THEY fell in love with a name to christen THEIR beloved newborn with. That is about the most loving and "classy" thing one can do. Great list of names!

Kristin July 01, 2013 | 5:15 AM

Mary needs to educate herself. This is a society where most names for a child are excepted. It is to each their own to name their children as they wish. Opinions are like a$$holes and she definitely has one. Or two. Maybe more. Take it like a grain of salt and consider the source.

June June 26, 2013 | 8:10 PM

I'm 7 months pregnant and he's going to be my first baby. I don't know what to name him yet. My name is June Cherry Lilly and my little boy's daddy name is Thant Zin Oo. Our names are probably sound weird to you guys because we are asian but I need help with naming my little boy.

Sharon June 24, 2013 | 9:46 AM

I have Ivy Willa and Liam Finn chosen for my baby.