Is The Stroller Made Of Gold?

Are all strollers created equal? Or is there something uber-special about strollers that are $700 (or more)?

Moms facing off this week

Audrey McClelland, founder of Mom Generations, and Erin Lane, founder of A Parenting Production.

The scenario

Every mom needs a stroller. Some even need a double (I personally needed two of them at the same time). Strollers are your main source of transportation when you have babies and toddlers. Whether you're an urban mom or a suburban mom, every mom relies on her stroller.

Where do you stroll? Oh, let's face it, just about anywhere and everywhere. The park, the mall, your neighborhood, the beach, the local playground, etc.

When you're looking for your stroller of choice, are all strollers created equal? Does it really matter?

Are you a stroller snob? >>

Question: Would you spend $700 (or more) for a stroller?

Audrey McClelland

Mom Generations

@AudreyMcClellan

When I had my son William back in 2004, I bought a medium-priced stroller system. I think it cost about $350 for the whole system, which included the stroller, car seat and the base.

I have to say, it sucked. I was so unhappy with the quality of it. My husband and I used to travel around NYC with a can of WD-40 in our stroller! It was horrible.

I vowed back then I would never -- ever -- buy something as necessary as a stroller again based purely on a low price point.

Strollers are the means to getting around when you have a baby, so you need them to work for years. I bought a stroller that was $800 when I had my second son in 2005, and I still have it -- and use it --- when my sister-in-law comes to visit with my nephew. The quality and durability have spoken for themselves, which is good because my husband thought I was nuts to shell out that much seven years ago!

Erin Lane

A Parenting Production

@ErinCLane

Honestly, I think my answer is no, not even on a double. I know there are some super awesome, fancy strollers out there, but $700 seems like so much money to me. And for several hundred dollars less, you can still get an amazing, functional stroller.

My first stroller retailed for $500 and even though it was a gift, I still felt it was a tad excessive (although I do love it). In these economic times, you can make $700 stretch so much further than one stroller. I'd rather that same money buy my stroller and some clothing, books and toys for my kids.

And I know my CPA husband agrees. He actually thinks $700 for a stroller is ridiculous. He thinks we all get "baby high" and get lost in the world of baby marketing. To quote him, "For $700, that stroller better come with a GPS and a bidet."

More on baby gear

How to find the perfect stroller
Baby stroller buying guide
Baby Bargain: 10 Ways to save big bucks on baby gear

Comments

Comments on "Mom Blogger Face-off: Would you pay $700 (or more) for a stroller?"

Bc March 22, 2012 | 6:53 AM

It all depends on your lifestyle. Moms who stay home and do playmates and lots of activities during the day might have a need for a better stroller. We bought the bugaboo in 2007 for my daughter, after a csection running around with my baby and doing fun things made a huge difference to have a lightweight stroller, sleeping baby laying down on therapeutic stroller matress( my heart goes out to those babies while they are sleeping in umbrella strollers, no sun shade and head just hanging forward and the mother is driving a BMW and wears a chanel bag but buys $5 stroller) we also do lots of international travel so the stroller folds flat into a transport bag. Now, I use the stroller for my 17m son and attached board for my 5 year old daughter. The only stroller I ever had for both kids and I absolutely love it. Even eBay and crags list sells still for over $500. You can take the wheels out for two wheel beach stroll, umbrella, mosquito net, huge underneath basket and atachable cup holders, my hands are always free. It works for me and my lifestyle. The best investment I ever made!!!!!

Aleece March 19, 2012 | 1:42 PM

No way. I can see spending the $ if you are in the middle of a big city and do most of your daily traveling on foot, but if you are in a smaller town or rural, chances are that you are going to just carry the kids half the time because it's so inconvenient to get a stroller in and out constantly. And I have never had one of my 3 kids beg to get out of a carrier and into the stroller.

Elyssa March 19, 2012 | 10:43 AM

I've bought a travel system and a double stroller and honestly my double stroller is sitting in my garage and the travel system I sold a long time ago. I don't rely on strollers for my kids. I prefer wearing them because there are places a stroller just isn't convenient. I wouldn't ever dream of spending $700 on a stroller, but maybe that's because I just don't see them as being as much of a baby necessity now that I've had two kids.

Stacie @ The Divine Miss Mommy March 19, 2012 | 8:22 AM

I am just like the previous poster (also a Stacey). I bought the Bugaboo Frog back in 2004 and loved it. It was the best investment I ever made and the best stroller out there at the time, in my opinion. I would do it again in a second.

Kari March 19, 2012 | 8:19 AM

Have to agree with Erin. I would not be able to fork over that much on a stroller. Would probably take one as a gift :) or even better find one second hand that someone else spent that much on it and I would get it for much less! In reality we never use the stroller as much as we thought we would before we had our first child. Our kids are much happier in a sling or carrier and our toddler hates being in the stroller so I would probably regret spending that much on a stroller.

Christine March 19, 2012 | 8:16 AM

Nope! $700 is way more than I'd ever spend on a stroller. My son is 7 months and I don't even own a stroller at all. I know this probably places me squarely in the crazy category, but I have Babyhawk and Baby K'tan carriers and have used them for walks, shopping, festivals - pretty much anywhere we go, and I like not having a car full of gear. I'm considering getting a jogger, as running is the only thing I can't do with a kid strapped to me. But I plan to search for a decent quality jogger through consignment or Craigslist for much less than retail.

Jenny G March 14, 2012 | 10:38 AM

I absolutely would and did. BUT I say that living in NYC-I know that heavily influenced my decision as I knew we'd be using the stroller everyday for everything. We need one that will last, huge basket (for grocery shopping, trips to the park or out to the beach in the summer), shocks, excellent wheels... I worked as a nanny in my college days and dealt with so many crappy strollers here in the city and learned that you really need a good one to handle the urban pavement. We went with the UPPAbaby Vista and it has been worth every penny.

Jen Senecal March 14, 2012 | 6:28 AM

I would. I have spent way more than that in the multitude of various strollers i've bought, trying to find the "perfect" one that suited all three of my girls. Now, in hindsight, I wish I would have just bought a fantastic one from the get-go. We're past the point of needing new ones now, but my advice would be to GET A GREAT STROLLER from the start. You don't realize how much easier your life will be with a quality piece of baby gear! (Audrey- I'm cracking up over the WD-40!!)

Stacey March 12, 2012 | 6:13 PM

We bought the Bugaboo Frog back in 2005 when our first daughter was born. I think with all the attachments it cost us about $800. And I would totally do it again! That stroller has lasted us through 3 kids and is still in perfect shape. We never had to buy another stroller because it worked with the carseat, changed into a bassinet, and has a seat that works for a baby and up. We got the platform attachment which allowed the older kids ride on the stroller while we pushed the baby. I'm able to fold it up flat into the trunk, jog with it, take it on hiking trails, but it doesn't look out of place walking in the malls or down the street. We even traveled with it to Alaska. So worth every penny!