Virtual World Games Tweens And Teens Love

Virtual worlds allow players to immerse themselves in a fantasy world where they can design their own avatar, conquer enemies, complete quests, purchase merchandise and socialize with friends. Learn more about the most popular virtual worlds for tweens and teens.

star-doll-virtual-world

Virtual worlds for tweens

If your child has outgrown Club Penguin and Webkinz, consider some of these popular virtual worlds suited for tweens. You should always check out a virtual world website before letting your child participate and use parental controls if available and necessary.

Moshi Monsters Create your own pet monster with a unique personality in this fun cyber pet game tweens love. Moshi Monsters allows you to create a home for your pet and customize it. Online games add to the fun.

Wizard101  Kids who love Harry Potter adore Wizard101. This massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) allows players to start as a novice wizard and then accept quests, collect gold and gain equipment as they aim to save the Spiral.

Stardoll Based on the concept of paper dolls, Stardoll is a virtual world where players dress up dolls, participate in games, create clubs, socialize with friends and more. This popular virtual world website features over 124 million users.

SecretBuilders Players immerse themselves in virtual lands, undertake quests, maintain a home, play games and interact with friends. SecretBuilders features stories, themes and characters (both historical and fictional figures) from literature, art and the humanities.

Read about online arcade games for kids and tweens >>

Virtual worlds for teens

Kids don't outgrow virtual worlds when they hit their teenage years. Many virtual worlds are geared toward the teenage set and they are gaining popularity every day.

Meez — With over 80 casual games and multimedia sharing, Meez is a great site for teens. Avatars can navigate different neighborhoods, interact with friends, leave messages and watch videos. Teens can customize avatars that can be exported to other social networks and gaming sites.

RuneScape The RuneScape world is a medieval fantasy realm where players travel through different kingdoms and cities. Users create customizable avatars, fight monsters, complete quests, play games, chat and trade with others, and much more. Both free and premium memberships are available.

IMVU Intended for the teen crowd, IMVU boasts over 100 million users in 88 different countries and has a virtual goods catalog of over 10 million items. Users can search for people based on gender, location and age or join groups based on interests or personal opinions.

SuperSecret In SuperSecret, players start at age 10 and grow up to age 18 by achieving things in a variety of games. As users get older within the games, they get more privileges — at 16 they can drive a virtual car, at 18 they can vote, etc.

Hundreds of other virtual worlds are available. Other popular choices among teens and tweens include ActiveWorlds, Chit Chat City, Fantage, Whyville, Kaneva, Second Life, SmallWorlds and World of Warcraft.

Read about online games for teens >>

Currency in virtual worlds

Many virtual worlds allow players to purchase in-game currency and merchandise with real world money. For parents who are worried about using their credit cards in virtual worlds, now they have an alternative — Openbucks.

Try it

Parents who are worried about using their credit cards in virtual worlds can try Openbucks, a good alternative.

Launched in September 2011, Openbucks allows you to purchase gift cards at one of more than 100,000 locations in the U.S. and Canada, and then use those gift cards as payment for online games and at ecommerce websites. It's a simple, safe method to pay online. According to Itamar Kandel, president and co-founder of Openbucks, "Virtual goods purchases are projected to reach $10 billion by 2013 so we believe the gaming market is a great place to start."

For parents looking to limit the spending of their teens and tweens, Openbucks seems like a fabulous option.

Image credit: stardoll

More about online activities

Free online games your kids will love
Online safety for tweens and teens
Teens and the consequences of social media

Tags: online games

Comments

Comments on "Popular virtual worlds for tweens and teens"

Sunset March 08, 2014 | 10:18 PM

I play Animal Jam and it's great .I've been playing fro like 4 years.

RuneScape Fan January 12, 2014 | 1:39 PM

I am 19 and I've been playing runescape since 2005. I absolutely love it! :) It's fun, it's friendly, and it's come a really long way. It's good for teens and tweens. You can set up a language filter, and even block players that are being rude, saying nasty things, etc. The membership is $7.00 per month, and they even have what they call bonds which are in-game memberships. Free to play players can buy bonds with in-game currency, but the bonds are a ridiculous amount for a non-member. I'm currently working up to becoming a member through a bond, just to see if I'd like to spend the money. As far as game play, you always have something to do. Non-members have 15-20 quests they can do, you have a multitude of skills you can raise like: fishing, smithing, defense, combat, strength, cooking, crafting, magic, prayer, woodcutting, firemaking, runecrafting, etc. and you can become invovled with a clan and participate in Clan Wars. Members have all the same skills and then some. Agility, farming, summoning, divination(non-members can do this also, but their level caps at 5), etc. You are allowed a house, which you can build furniture for and decorate. You get access to outfits and skins for weapons, advanced items, pets, armor, and so much more! I highly recommend it to any teen who enjoys mmorpg. :)

anoymous December 06, 2013 | 6:27 AM

I tried playing moviestarplanet. I fell in love with the website. I was on it every day. Until People started to ask me for my information, and started asking me out and where I live. I eventually deleted my account.

medalia October 15, 2013 | 5:23 PM

i think this is a great place for teens to play on virtual worlds cause there not down and dirty or nasty.

teagan October 13, 2013 | 8:29 AM

I love moviestarplanet but im trying to fing more virtual worlds but there all rubbish

Lilac October 01, 2013 | 2:16 PM

I am currently playing animal jam. Its a very good website for kids and teens.

Aj August 27, 2013 | 5:19 AM

uh.... Here's my OTHER fun games: Spaceheroes,Animal Jam,Spark City World, Lady Popular, and Pixie Hollow

chrystal August 18, 2013 | 10:22 PM

omfg these are all stupid... where are some where you can say watever the ---- u want ---- it

keely July 22, 2013 | 11:05 AM

half of these games don't work

creanna July 17, 2013 | 2:01 PM

OMG Moviestarplanet is my favorite game ever ive been playing for two years actually ever since I figured out the game its great for tweens and teens and its super safe

Savannah June 29, 2013 | 4:34 PM

My child is in love with Smallworlds ! :)

RussianBlueCat June 26, 2013 | 2:39 PM

My older sister plays The Sims 3 a lot. I'm 11 and I recommend Fantage and PixieHollow.

Michelle June 16, 2013 | 3:29 AM

I used to play these games when I was younger, but now I'm totally addicted to the Sims.

stella May 29, 2013 | 9:38 AM

I played club penguin for almost my full life, But i like sims now.

Cece February 21, 2013 | 1:59 PM

Thanks even though I knew every single one lol. :D

nicole February 15, 2013 | 3:38 PM

hi

Desiree January 31, 2013 | 9:18 PM

Pixie Hollow is great. My daughter has played it for 5 years.

serena November 26, 2012 | 3:55 PM

my kids loved moshi monsters thanks!!!!

Maia King November 20, 2012 | 10:45 AM

My kids always play on MovieStarPlanet...They have been on it for 3 years and seem to be totaly amazed,recently they got onto the high scores page, it was like Christmas!

Lauren October 21, 2012 | 12:04 PM

Haha these seem great! Moshi Monsters seems like a game my kids would really enjoy - thanks for the recommendations!