Move Over,
Paradise Barbie

There's a new girl in town and she's getting a lot of attention. The same Barbie that we all know and love has a new look for 2011, thanks to a collaboration by Mattel and Los Angeles-based fashion company tokidoki.

tattoo-barbie

The cutting edge tokidoki doll, with a bright pink bob, leopard leggings and hot pink mini skirt, proudly bares one shoulder, revealing permanent tattoos across her neck, chest and arm. Never mind the puckered lips, fake eyelashes and cactus friend named Bastardino, this Barbie is causing quite a stir among some parents because of the tattoos.

YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY, DOLL

Since the birth of Barbie in 1959, we have seen itty-bitty bikinis, Barbie's pregnant friend Midge and a Barbie with temporary tattoos, but we have yet to see an inked version of the doll... until now.

Is Barbie evolving along with the rest of society? "It's not any different than what they see on the street," Christine says about her two young children.

Perhaps this is a sign of things to come in the land of Barbie.

As a future parent, Phil would like to see Barbie undergo some physical changes before he gets his panties (boxers) in a wad over tattoos. "We don't live long enough to spend energy freaking out about tattoos. Have they made Barbie's waist more than 14 inches or given her feet that don't only fit into stilettos yet?"

SENDING THE WRONG MESSAGE?

While the tokidoki Barbie is marketed as a collector's item for adults and only sold in select stores for $50, some parents are not happy about the message the doll gives.

"I would not buy it for my daughter. I know that many girls look like that Barbie but I don't want my daughter to look that way, so why encourage her with a doll that endorses it?" says Leah.

Other parents don't seem to mind one bit.

Trista, a mom of three girls, says, "My kids use Barbies as props for pretend play, not as role models or to be 'just like' them. If it were cheaper, I'd probably buy it... Tattoos aren't something to be afraid of."

"Unfortunately, we all know that our children cannot be sheltered from influences so while I understand why parents are against it, it's our job as parents to teach our children wrong from right or at least guide them to make an educated decision," says Sarah, a mom of three.

Kelly has a bigger purpose in mind when it comes to the tokidoki doll, saying, "I would have used it as a lesson to remind [them] that real tattoos are forever."

COLLECTING BARBIE DOLLS

To collectors, tokidoki Barbie is a hot ticket item. She's currently sold out on websites like Barbie Collectors and back ordered on the tokidoki website, where customers are limited to two dolls per person.

"What I don't understand is why parents are putting up a fuss about a doll that will never see the shelves of a ToysRUs or Target," says mom of two, Jennifer.

Collector item Barbie dolls are sold at exclusive locations and websites and are generally not available to young children. "Tokidoki fans are loving it because of the accessories," says Jennifer. Maybe that's what collectors were thinking when they bought this risqué Lady Gaga-looking Barbie for $150.

Tell us:

Would you buy the tattooed Barbie for your daughter?

Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

More on Barbie

Is the iconic Barbie bad news?
Promoting an unhealthy ideal: Barbie and Hollywood vs. reality
Barbie loves Stila: Makeup gift sets

Comments

Comments on "New tattooed Barbie causes a stir"

Solstice August 10, 2013 | 7:02 PM

I love this Barbie, I would love to buy this type of toys for my kids, even for myself! I wish there were more out there. I love tokidoki brand and have some of the eyeshadows they put out. Super cute. As a kid I was told "never get a tattoo, they are ugly, permanent, you will regret them" for over 17 years by my father who has wolf tattoos. I saw them as art on the body, and if there was a meaning behind it, even better. I grew up self hating, I was never BARBIE SKINNY so I wasn't good enough. I. Want a Barbie that shows its okay to be different. I think this is the BEST one they have ever came out with. After almost 20 years of thinking I was ugly and fat, I am now learning to love my body, with the help of my tattoos and pericings!! Do I recomened gang tattoos, no! I recomened tattoos that shows the world your inner beauty on the outside. Show me what you love in the form of art. I am looking forward to the next generations of Barbie, I hope she continues to go down this path. Plus size Barbie, normal sized, normal shoes. Show this girls it's okay to be different!!!

claire whatever December 30, 2012 | 6:33 PM

personally i think it's cool for kids to see different standards of beauty. it'd be great to see more black/asian/hispanic barbies as well , along with the tattooed one :)and fat barbies! fat barbies should definitely be made!

Eric August 07, 2012 | 1:42 PM

Buy a tattooed doll for my daughter? Hell, I'd give her the money for a real tattoo... I love to see a woman with tattoos. My wife has them!

Teresa west January 17, 2012 | 7:08 AM

I am so excited about this new barbie doll, I love,love,love her! She is beautiful and for now she is a collectable for adults only. Maybe as the time goes on they can make an age group for the barbies, like the do with vidio games.

G-Hi November 19, 2011 | 4:33 PM

Tats, tly clothes, etc. etc. Trailer trash Barbie has been in the offing for years. The whole "Barbie mystique" was to create a beautiful, made-up, princess-like doll (regardless of my or your opinions on the ism of such a thing.) Barbie was supposed to be like a fairy tale princess - not a reflection of society, which she has become. Yes, I have friends with piercings and tats. But, Barbie does not have to keep up with the times, although I wish she'd get a damn job (stripper pole not included). I had one in the 70's - she was a flight attendant. I would assume that any "working" Barbie would be up to date. Hey Barbie, check the online job listings!

Abbey November 05, 2011 | 5:45 AM

This is just plain stupid. These dolls are produced as collector dolls aimed at adult collectors, not as child play things. If you are buying expensive collector dolls for your child to play with then that is your own stupid fault. get over it. Besides, she's not the first Barbie to have tattoos. Get over it.

LMD November 01, 2011 | 8:01 PM

I think the world is lacking art and culture and allowing individuality to start from our youth. Which is the same reason kids are picked on at school for being different it all stems from the parents teaching being different is wrong??? I blame you for kids killing themselves and growing up to be as closed minded as all of you are.

Samantha October 31, 2011 | 7:56 PM

In the 90's Mattel had a barbie that had tattoos. No one in my family has any tattoos but my parents still purchased the doll for me. I never thought anything of the doll, it was just another barbie to me. I am now in college and have absolutely no desire to have a tattoo, EVER! Having a doll that was a little different really had no negative impact on my life; if anything it taught me that people come in all different ways and not to judge people based on their looks.

Miki October 31, 2011 | 7:27 AM

I have a tattoo and am a mother of 2, daughter and son. I have NO problem with this doll. It is about time that those of us that love tattoos got some representation. I also love the idea from one of the commenters about there being a "plus-sized" barbie... though, I would settle for a barbie with the proportions of an average woman. I love the outfit! Cute! And no, she doesn't look like a prostitute. If you think this, then you are a closed minded git with some serious control issues and you might want to seek out help.

amanda October 30, 2011 | 1:15 PM

i'd like to know if there will ever be a "plus sized" barbie and what the controversy over THAT would be, probably that we're endorsing obesity or something. it sounds stupid, but so does this! especially because they're not even advertising to kids!

Ian October 29, 2011 | 6:47 AM

This part made me laugh ""If I had a daughter, she wouldn't own one... fake tattoos are good enough" says Melanie, a mom of two boys." She is a mom of two boys she souldnt even have an issue with it. and its not like they came out with a "Crack Barbie"

Kirsten October 28, 2011 | 1:22 PM

I'm tired of people judging others with tattoos. I am a 52-year-old grandmother who loves to play Barbies with her granddaughter. I know for a fact that my granddaughter would LOVE this Barbie and it would not affect her morals or anything of the sort. Why don't people get this riled up over the children starving in the world?

Ashlee October 27, 2011 | 4:50 PM

they are worried about this doll? Come on! why not be concerned about the message Barbie has given over the years of being skinny and eating disorders abound. Why not worry that Barbie in-general sends a message about growing up too fast. Instead you get all bothered about a doll for the collectors market. And kids do see tattoos on TV characters all the time. Stop pushing kids to grow up so fast and let them enjoy their childhood, while they can. There are way more things to be concerned about.

Vanessa October 27, 2011 | 12:29 PM

There are over 100,000 ADULT doll collectors. I am one of them. I am 43 and I have been playing with and creating for my fashion dolls, of which I have over 100, for over 20 years. I am in contact with about 400 doll collectors on an almost daily basis. We are the ones that are helping to keep Barbie alive and well. We spend a LOT of money on our fashion dolls. I am an electrical engineer by trade, and I still enjoy playing with my dolls. It is a whole world that most people don't know exist. We are the ones who just bought this doll out. She is now selling on the secondary market for 3-5 times her retail, and she is selling with no problem.

ally October 26, 2011 | 7:16 PM

People need to get over the stigma of tattoos. How many people do you see walking around that naturally look like barbie? I've never seen 1. Now, how many people do you see walking around thathave tattoos? See what Im saying here? Id much rather my daughter, and yes i have a daughter, put a piece of artwork she finds beautiful permanently on her skin than feel that she needs to look like barbie to be beautiful. And besides, don't we all want to raise our children to be accepting of all types of people?

Former Toy Designer - Mom of 5 - Almost 50 October 26, 2011 | 2:01 PM

Your article is Tawdry.... and thanks to sour comments, the item is now sold out and all young girls know about this because you fueled an unnecessary fire.... The doll is well done. If you don't like it, then please close your mouth. Commenting a nasty negative comment about an issue not geared towards little girls, but created for adult collectors, only means.... you need to rethink why you are allowing a doll with a tatoo to get under your skin?

Mp October 26, 2011 | 1:12 PM

She reminds me of hooker character in "Pretty Woman" with the pink wig and all, minus the tattoos of course. What is up with that dog or whatever that thing is? I would never buy that doll. I think tattoos are so yesterday anyway.

Andrea October 26, 2011 | 12:14 PM

I would defintely not buy that doll for my grandkids, I personally think its terrible.....and ugly.....sorry

Valerie October 26, 2011 | 9:47 AM

The only difference between people with tattoos and those without is we don't judge you for not having them. I have multiple tattoos and judging my experience at the water parks this summer so do a lot of parents. Way to go Barbie!!

KnittyBits October 26, 2011 | 8:56 AM

I think this doll is perfectly fine having tattoos. Think about this instead, if Barbie wasn't a doll but a real person, what would happen to her? Well a group of college students scaled her up to human sizes. A waist that small in combination to a bust that large would *snap her spine*. Babie has always had its controveries, like the women who have gotten implants, reductions and facial surgeries to look like Barbie. If the only thing you are afraid your child is going to mimic is the tattoos then there some things you really need to think about. Welcome to the latest era in humanity. Aren't we always told "don't judge a book by its cover"? Think its about time we heed that tibit of advice?