When To Worry Or Not

You’ve received your positive pregnancy test results, and you’re more excited than you’ve ever been. But then you experience bleeding, which can be the scariest thing imaginable when you’re carrying a little life inside of you. The good news is some bleeding in a pregnancy can be normal. But in some cases, you and baby could be in distress.

pregnancy testing and early bleeding

So how do you know when the bleeding is normal and when you need to worry? From implantation bleeding to changes in your cervix, we'll sort it out for you.

WHAT BLEEDING IS NORMAL?

If you have some bleeding or spotting in the beginning of your pregnancy, it may not be cause for panic (up to 25% of women experience it). It could be implantation bleeding. Anywhere from six to 12 days after you conceive, the fertilized embryo will attach itself to your uterine wall. This can cause some light spotting lasting from a few hours to a few days.

Early bleeding in your pregnancy can also be caused by the changes in your cervix. When you're pregnant, an increased amount of blood flow goes to your cervix. As a result, having sex or receiving a pelvic exam by your doctor can cause bleeding.

Infections (such as a yeast infection) or sexually-transmitted diseases (such as herpes) can also cause bleeding early in pregnancy.

Be sure to always check with your OB-GYN to make sure you and baby are healthy.

WHAT BLEEDING IS NOT NORMAL?

If the bleeding is accompanied by strong cramps and pain in your abdomen (tissue might also pass through your vagina), you could be at risk for a miscarriage and should contact your doctor immediately.

If you're bleeding and having strong cramps in your abdomen (you may also feel light headed), you could be having an ectopic pregnancy (when the embryo implants outside of the uterus), and should contact your doctor immediately.

Bleeding could also mean that you're having a molar pregnancy. This is very rare and happens when a benign tumor or an abnormal mass of tissue forms instead of a baby.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU EXPERIENCE BLEEDING?

No matter what type of bleeding you're experiencing, you should contact your doctor immediately.

With so many changes going on inside your body during pregnancy, it can definitely be an emotional and anxious time. You should never feel embarrassed or hesitant to call your OB-GYN about anything that concerns you. That's what they are there for!

More on pregnancy:

First pregnancy milestones

Top 10 essentials for your hospital bag

Common prenatal procedures

Tags: early pregnancy first pregnancy

Comments

Comments on "Early pregnancy bleeding: What’s normal?"

Comfused April 07, 2014 | 12:20 PM

Well I have been getting pregnancy symptoms. Went to clinic and the say it was yest infection. Did a pregnancy test but was negative. But started spotting yest and now im bleeding lighly. Is this normal period stil?

jay February 01, 2014 | 9:17 AM

i have done my pregnancy test and realised that am pregnant but am having a slight pain at the abdomen and my period start coming what can i do

jennifer January 01, 2014 | 6:44 AM

I have my tubes tied but i had my period twice last month maybe two weeks apart. the first period was normal the second lasted a day was heavy and dark red. my breasts are sore could i be pregnant?

yetunde December 22, 2013 | 9:27 AM

I hv been confirmed pregnant but no morning sickness.i only feel weak @nights and my lower tommy rises but goes back to normal in the mornings.i also hv very dark discharges everyday.pls wat cld be going on I'm 2months old.

Kate February 07, 2013 | 1:16 AM

Hi I need to ask something. I think I could be pregnant. I am having slight bleeding. It's so weird. It's pink when I wipe and stringing with a clot or two when I put a tampon in. But it's not coming out of me at all. Just sticking to the tampon which I keep changing because its not comfortable. I am a bit itchy. The bleeding began about 3 days after the . It only shows when I wipe and change the tampon. Is it possible this is implantation bleeding because I am sure my period is not due at all. So if it doesn't actually come out and just lightly stays on the tampon could this be implantation bleeding?

smith January 25, 2013 | 9:27 AM

I havent been pregant in six years but had two period in dec.i came on late in jan and it last on for two days wat should i do

Lauren January 18, 2013 | 11:44 AM

I experience slight bleeding during both my pregnancies. It was never enough to use a pad or tampon, but it is scary none the less. If you're worried, it's always best to talk to your doctor.

worried!! November 06, 2012 | 5:37 AM

Hi!me and my partner has been trying for a baby for round about 3months now... I thought I was pregnant last month but then got my period it was not a normal period Though it came without warning and was very heavy,so a week after my period I got brown discharge but changing colour now to red,so sometimes brown sometimes red,I don't know What is happening and would really like some advice please!!!I can see though this is Not a period!