Make Your Own Upcycled Garden Tools
Don’t toss that empty soda bottle in the recycling can. Instead, show the kids how to upcycle a soda bottle into a useful gardening tool.
What you'll need:
- One empty two-liter soda bottle
- Electrical tape
- Decorative tape
- Craft paint and brushes
- Rinse out the bottle with warm water to remove sticky residue.
- Cut off the top of the soda bottle, using the label as a guide.
- Set aside the bottom of the plastic bottle*. The top of the soda bottle will become your gardening shovel.
- Cover the rough edge of the bottle with electrical tape to protect little hands.
- Make sure your bottle cap is screwed on tightly, so dirt doesn't fall through the opening when the shovel is used.
- Cover the table with newspaper and have the kids decorate their soda bottle shovels with decorative tape or craft paint. Let the shovels drip dry on the newspaper.
- Get your seedlings ready for planting. Your new soda bottle garden shovels are ready to scoop.
* Put the bottom of your soda bottle to good use too. Learn how to turn it into a hanging garden planter at Urban Organic Gardener.
More recycled craft ideas
5 Fun crafts for kids
Decoupage scarecrow jar
Halloween trick-or-treaters' craft