Your Good Side
Making silhouette pictures is a fun and easy craft that creates a lasting piece of art! For a fun family activity, make a silhouette picture of every member of your family. The toughest part of little ones may be sitting still... but we have an easy option for antsy pants too!
To complete this craft, you'll need the following items:
- Light source/flashlight to create a shadow
- Removable tape
- Gum eraser
- Black paper
- White paper
- Tape the large piece of white paper to a blank wall. Have your children sit in a chair near the wall (one at a time) and position him as well as the light source until you get the desired profile reflected onto the white piece of paper.
- Using a pencil, carefully trace your child's shadow. With the side profile, you can also include the neck and shoulders. Reposition your child as necessary as you complete the tracing.
- Once you've finished the tracing, set your subject loose! Next, erase any random pencil marks and cut the outline out of the white paper.
- Place it on a piece of thick black paper, trace it and cut it out. Why not just trace the original shadow on black paper? This seems like an extra step, but it is easier to do the original tracing on white paper then transfer it to black for a dramatic silhouette look.
- Finally, glue the black tracing onto a thick piece of white paper. Frame it in a black frame and enjoy!
- If your little ones are too squirmy to sit for an entire tracing, photograph their profile, print the picture (you can have the photo enlarged to desired size), cut out the profile, trace it onto a black sheet of thick paper, then glue it on a white sheet of thick paper and display your keepsake in a simple frame.
More family fun ideas
How to make handprint mosaics
How to make footprint stepping stones
How to make woven paper mats