DIY Footprint Stepping Stones
There is just something so darling about little footprints -- especially when they belong to your babies! Decorate your home and landscape with footprint stepping stones with these easy steps.
You'll need a few supplies before you get started on this easy project. One of them is cement. But trust us, it's not as daunting as it seems.
Here is a list of what you'll need:
- Large plastic bucket to mix cement
- Mold (you can purchase plastic molds of varying shapes at hardware stores or you can use a foil pie plate or old baking tin)
- Rubber gloves
- Vegetable oil
- Smoothing spatula
- Small trinkets, tiles, beads for decoration
OK! It's time to begin. Here's a tip: Cement dries quickly. Once you mix the cement, it's go time! Make sure you are ready. If you need a bit more time, fill a spray bottle with water so you can mist the cement mixture to keep it moist as you work.
- Mix the cement according to directions on the package.
- Spray stepping stone mold with WD-40.
- Pour the cement into the mold and smooth the surface with the spatula.
- Coat your baby's foot in olive oil and gently press the foot into the cement until it makes the desired impression.
- Add tiles, glass beads, marbles and special trinkets. You can also etch in your child's name, date of birth, etc.
- Allow the stepping stone to dry for several days. Remove it from the mold. It should pop right out.
- Finally, you can paint the cement stepping stone, then coat it with a protective finish, especially if you are going to use your stepping stones instead of displaying them.
More family fun ideas
How to make handprint mosaics
How to make woven paper mats
How to make personalized placemats