Mobile Phones
And Children

Your kiddo has come to you with wishes for a mobile phone of her very own, but is she ready for the responsibility? From safety to family bonding, check out the five reasons why kids should have cell phones.

teens-with-cell-phones

Mobile phones help keep kids safe

The main reason in support of kids having cell phones is safety. Your youngster can call home or emergency services when trouble arises when armed with a cell phone, as well as giving you the ability to locate her whereabouts with GPS features.

Mobile companies have also stepped up the family safety factor with services like the Sprint Family Locator. "Sprint Family Locator is a valuable tool that can help parents and guardians have a better sense of their children's whereabouts when they're apart," said Danny Bowman, vice president of product marketing for Sprint. "This is the latest Sprint innovation that uses GPS technology to improve the way families connect, communicate and locate one another." The same service from AT&T is called FamilyMap. Both companies offer free trials.

Conveniences of a cell phone

Giving kids mobile phones not only offers them a more convenient way to call home than finding a germ-ridden payphone, but also helps you keep in constant contact with your kids. From changes in after school pick up plans to making it easy for her to let you know she got to where she's going, there's no doubt that the conveniences that come with an adult having a cell phone translates the same when it comes to cell phones for kids.

Hectic family schedules? Organize the way your family communicates >>

Mobile phones are affordable

Although mobile phones of the past were considered a luxury item, there are tons of phones on the market today that you can get at low or no cost. Prepaid phone plans and the ability to simply add a line to your own parent cell phone account make the decision on whether your kids should have cell phones more about the peace of mind knowing your children are a touch tone away and less about the added expense.

Cell phones teach responsibility

Looking for a way to let your kid prove that she's ready for you to let out the leash a little bit? A cell phone can teach your child about responsibility, from taking care of the gadget to the minutes and text restrictions. You could opt for a puppy, but you know who will end up cleaning up after it in the long run.

Discover 7 tips for teaching your child responsibility >>

Family bonding through texting

Does your child look at you like you're speaking another language when trying to communicate with her? Changing how you talk with your teen by texting may be just the thing you need to connect with her on a different level. Although texting with your kiddo may seem like a silly idea, it may make her less resistant to what you have to say when she feels like you're more hip.

Not sure your kiddo is ready to have free reign of the wireless world? Opt for a plan feature that lets you monitor cell phone usage, restrict phone numbers your child can call or notifies your mobile phone when your child arrives at a designated place. But, before you give your youngster the green light on their own cell phone, discuss with your child these five reasons kids should have cell phones to ensure that she knows exactly what is expected from her, because a good parent-child cell phone relationship starts with good communication.

More on kids and cell phones

Should kids have cell phones?
Cell phone independence
Cell phone options for kids

Comments

Comments on "5 Reasons why your kids should have cell phones"

DACORD March 11, 2014 | 7:04 AM

its fun for kids to have a cell phone also it exposes them to the world

Hyunjae "Rick" Choi December 20, 2013 | 10:51 PM

Heather gave a great point of getting responsibility doesn't work on just giving smartphones to infants. Yet, she gave only the part of giving responsibility to babies just by giving smartphones is bad. So do you think that any other is true? I think it is. And actually, who, and what's the problem here? Is the baby problem here? IS IT? NO, IT ISN'T. Babies are not the problem here. Even though parents give it to babies, if the parents handle them very well, that would not be the problem. For instance, My mom actually handled me with games, and I never do. And I never download them secretly either. Is that a problem? EH? We need to think about why they are being a problem. It is not the children's fault, nor the smartphone itself. IT is the children's parents. And YOU may be doing this even you read this now. So why considering to wait? Start planning things with your children's smartphones.

sophia December 04, 2013 | 10:46 AM

i think its great that kids should have cell-phones

Sydney Ann November 08, 2013 | 7:44 AM

I got my first phone when I was 9 years old. Yet I don't agree a child should have a cell phone unless they need it for emergencies. I was home alone a lot because my parents worked. Kids at least shouldn't have texting until a certain age. I wouldn't give my child a phone at age 9 but, I understand my parents decision when it has come to safety which luckily I have had to use for an emergency and praise the lord for it.

toponlinejd.com/ekjgre October 30, 2013 | 7:10 PM

Why YouTube video clips are shared everywhere? I think one cause is that these are simple to get embed script and paste that code anywhere you wish for. toponlinejd/ekjgre http://toponlinejd/ekjgre/

12andup August 22, 2013 | 5:35 PM

Idiots! Kids should totally have cellphones. we don't @#$# socialize like you million year old aztecs any more we kids use social networks and texting to comunicate you cave people!

Amelia July 07, 2013 | 12:24 PM

I don't have a phone but honestly the only reason I want one is because the wifi and I can call people without getting charged by apps. I wish they would make a ipod with free wifi everywhere :D hahahahaha

BBQ chicken Baby June 17, 2013 | 12:09 PM

I agree with the people that are saying children under 10 shouldn't have phones but i totally agree that 10+ should have them its how kids these days socialize!!!

shoushanna June 11, 2013 | 5:11 PM

i think kids should have cell phones cause if they are in trouble they can call home so that why kids should have cell phones and if im not serious kids should start using cell phones at age 10+ PS: i have a project in this subject :)

jim bean May 15, 2013 | 11:06 AM

YES THEY SHOULD HAVE CELL PHONES

bum face poo April 26, 2013 | 2:19 AM

It is not acceptable to give a child a phone under the age of 10

Person March 27, 2013 | 4:00 PM

Kids should get a mobile phone when they start high school for safety reasons.

Taco swag March 25, 2013 | 10:54 AM

I think kids age 10 and up should have phones! They need to communicate and have a social life. I don't know why u people are hating on kids with cell phones but they should have one. Especially if they get in trouble or get lost they need to call the police or their parents

anounomys March 24, 2013 | 4:12 PM

i think kids 10 and up should have phones. say if they were wakling home and something happened the could call or if something happened.there is always the option of taking the thing away if they are bad or have bad grades.

becca lynn March 12, 2013 | 7:24 PM

I think kids should have cell phones because i believe they will need to know how to use them in different work places

briannachambers February 26, 2013 | 6:43 PM

I can't get a cell phone because my mom says im to young.But im only 11 years old. How can I persuade her.

Unknown January 23, 2013 | 10:35 AM

I'm probably the last generation that didn't grow up with cell phones. We lived our lives without cell phones when we were kids. Today's kids need to tough it out and use their brains instead of their phones.

No name please January 09, 2013 | 7:34 PM

I agree with the arguments because I don't want to lose a child in a crowd! How would u feel if your child (aka baby to mothers) got lost and they did not know what to do except call u and they don't have a cell phone? The phone does not need any fancy gadgets, u can even block phone #s on their phone. Get real, this is the modern world now. Us adults need to get a grip.

Mario January 07, 2013 | 8:35 AM

i think children should have cell phones becuse you never know if there is an emergerency they can just get there phones out and call you mom or dad or rve police

Me January 01, 2013 | 2:00 AM