For many kids, learning about nail polish, lipstick and hairspray is a rite of passage. If you make an effort to choose healthy products
, now is the time to instill that same belief in your children. Spirit Demerson, organic beauty expert and founder of Spirit Beauty Lounge, shares valuable tips to help parents teach beautifully simple, green lessons.
We teach our kids how to drive safely, follow the law and eat healthy, but what message do we send when it comes to selecting beauty products? If parents don't provide kids with the tools to make wise decisions, the power of mainstream marketing will "help" them make decisions -- and they probably won't be the healthiest. "It's a fact that a percentage of what we put on our skin and inhale does enter the bloodstream," says Demerson. "We have to do the research ourselves to protect our families from possible repeated exposure to known endocrine disruptors, neurotoxins and carcinogens."
While it would be nice to hold their hands every step of the way, our kids will eventually have to make their own choices. The next time you're shopping for (green) cosmetics
, hair care or skin care products, model educated consumer practices. "It's best to take a holistic approach to making conscious decisions about our personal care products, the way we do with the foods we eat," says Demerson. "The first step -- turning the bottle around and reading the ingredients -- is the most important." Unfortunately, it's just not realistic to memorize every toxic chemical. Instead, print out a copy of ingredients to avoid for quick reference.
Sometimes, the most memorable lessons can be taught right in your own bathroom. When you make wise choices in the beauty department, you can feel good about sharing the products with your teen and explaining to them why you made an educated decision to make a particular purchase. Share any of the following products with confidence, knowing that they are safe and nurturing
rather than harsh and toxic.
- Vapour Organic Beauty: Vapour Organics is an ethical and eco-conscious cosmetics company creating beautiful, luxurious products. They are soothing while packing a performance punch, and healthy, containing at least 70% organic ingredients.
- MJ's Herbals: "These 100% natural and organic beauty salves work wonders on crusty cuticles and heels, puffy eyes, dry hands and more," says Demerson. "The Calendula and First Aid salves are amazing for babies and kids!"
- Skincando: Skincando's Combat-Ready Balm treats a variety of skin problems including scars, sun and wind burns, eczema and bug bites. Handmade in small batches using ingredients like apricot kernel oil, beeswax, coconut oil and grapefruit seed extract, Skincando products are all-natural and organic.
- Olie Biologique: Olie Biologique offers a unique range of organic, natural oils including argan, almond, rosehip, evening primrose and hazelnut. These high-quality oils are ethically-sourced and exceptionally pure.
- Clairvoyant Beauty: All of Clairvoyant's products are gentle and effective, and void of chemical preservatives and synthetic fragrances. The gorgeous packaging and generous product sizes will have you coming back for more.
- Vive Sana Solar to Polar Baby: "Vive Sana's all-natural, hypoallergenic baby sunscreen formula has become a cult favorite skin care product," says Demerson. "The packaging is chic, not silly, and the texture makes a luxuriously hydrating moisturizer and skin primer under makeup."
More green beauty
Best eco-friendly beauty products
Why you should green your beauty routine
Committing to green beauty this year