Are You Preggers?

Wondering if you might be pregnant? Early signs of pregnancy vary, but there are a few that most women experience — usually before the pregnancy test is positive. We rounded up the eight most common signs to help you answer the question.

pregnancy test

Sore breasts

Are the girls feeling swollen and sore? Are they getting more attention than usual? Better bust out the pee stick — you may be pregnant.

Sore breasts are often one of the first signs of pregnancy. Hormonal changes cause an increase in blood flow as the breast tissue changes and prepares for breastfeeding. As early as four to six weeks into your pregnancy, your breasts may begin to feel tingly and tender. Make sure you get a comfy and supportive bra because over the next few months — those bad boys may just grow a size or two. You will most likely feel less tender after the first trimester passes, as your body adjusts to the wave of hormones.

Morning sickness

Anyone who has experienced "morning sickness" knows that it is not restricted to the morning at all, but can strike at any time of the day (or night). It is not uncommon to suddenly be nauseated by certain smells or tastes, especially when you are newly pregnant. Morning sickness is not a given, and a lucky few never experience nausea at all while pregnant.

Caused by the dramatic increase in hormones during the first trimester of pregnancy, some women stop feeling nauseous around 12 weeks. Others, however, continue to feel nauseated throughout their entire pregnancy. If this happens to you, consult with your physician about medications to help control the nausea so that you don't become dehydrated or lose too much weight.

Fatigue

Have you been incredibly tired lately — so tired you feel it in your bones? Fatigue is a common first sign of pregnancy. Many women describe early-pregnancy fatigue as the most extremely tired feeling they have ever experienced. It isn't known for certain what causes the extreme fatigue, but it could be related to increased progesterone levels.

"Exhaustion is typically worst during the first trimester of pregnancy."

Exhaustion is typically worst during the first trimester of pregnancy. You may feel revived and more energetic during your second trimester, but find your fatigue returning as you near the end of your third trimester. You will want to nap as much as possible now because after the baby arrives, you may never nap again. Or at least not for the next 18 years.

Hunger

Strangely enough, nausea and hunger often go hand-in-hand during pregnancy. During the time when you aren't feeling nauseous over the smell of certain foods, you are probably eating your weight in some food item that you've become obsessed with over the last few weeks — like barbecue potato chips, mint-chip ice cream or the traditional pickles.

While it is OK to give in to some of your pregnancy cravings, make sure that you don't go overboard and decide to live on pita chips and grapes for the next nine months just because they are the only thing that doesn't make your stomach flip. Try to follow a balanced diet and stay away from any foods that are unsafe for pregnant women.

Frequent urination

Have you been spending more time in the restroom than in any other room of your house? When you are newly pregnant, you may find yourself visiting a restroom more often. Get used to it — as your uterus expands and pushes on your bladder, fluids in your body increase and cause the kidneys to work overtime. As your baby grows, expect some tiny limbs to put a bit of pressure on your bladder too, which doesn't help.

Moodiness

Moody much? Did you just threaten to divorce your husband because he wanted to watch Deadliest Catch while you wanted to watch The Bachelorette? Don't worry. Moodiness is completely normal during pregnancy thanks to the dramatic hormonal shifts your body is undergoing. Each woman experiences these hormonal changes differently. You may feel extreme mood shifts in either direction, or be more anxious or depressed.

"Moodiness is completely normal during pregnancy."

It is important to note that if you feel overwhelmingly hopeless or unable to perform daily duties, you should seek professional help from your healthcare provider or mental health professional immediately.

Missed period

A missed menstrual cycle is usually a good indication that you might be pregnant, but it can also be deceiving. Some women do not menstruate regularly, or may not keep accurate track of when they last menstruated. If your periods are irregular or vary between spotting and heavy flow, you may experience other early signs of pregnancy well before you realize you have missed a period.

Some women experience a bit of spotting during implantation, which occurs very close to the time that your regular menstrual period would have occurred. If you think you might be pregnant, make sure to take a pregnancy test just to be safe before engaging in any activities that would be dangerous for your baby.

Pregnancy test

Your tender breasts and nausea may already have you convinced that you are pregnant, but make sure to visit your obstetrician or midwife for a pregnancy test. Home pregnancy tests — despite what they claim — are not always accurately able to confirm pregnancy before you have missed your period. If you take an early home test and it comes back negative, try again a week later. It is always important to get your pregnancy confirmed by a medical professional and begin monitoring that brand new bundle of joy.

More on early pregnancy

Early signs of pregnancy
Early pregnancy bleeding: What's normal?
Pregnant but no symptoms?

Tags: early pregnancy pregnancy symptoms

Comments

Comments on "Top 8 signs you are pregnant"

Evangeline March 27, 2014 | 12:08 AM

Why is that i always feel snore dizzy and my breast have a pain. But sometimes i have no morning sickness and my period is late sometimes it comes out early and my stomach is increasing but if i gonna take a pregnancy test the always result is NEGATIVE .. i wondering why? but i feel the signs of pregnancy .. but why if i take a pregnancy test its NEGATIVE.. is there something bad for me that im not a pregnant.? help me

Tap March 10, 2014 | 5:00 PM

@Blue..your pregnant. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Take a test, you'll likely get a positive. Whether you do or don't, go see your obeying. Congrats!!

Blue March 08, 2014 | 9:24 AM

I have not took a pregnancy test but I am waking up to morning sickness . I am always craving tacos . My period was two months late and when I did have it it was only one day maybe not even that whole day . Am I pregnant

Thuli February 18, 2014 | 6:35 AM

my breast and nipples are very sore and i did a home pregnant test 3 times but they came back negative and now my stomach is starting to grow.and i still have my period but not normal period because i use to have my period for 5 days but now it only 2 days.same time i feel dizzy and now my breast are in increase in size.

Purple February 06, 2014 | 8:45 AM

Last time I had my period was late December. We are in February now, I was on the Mirena contraceptive for a while. I took a pregnancy test and it came back Positive,those two lines have changed my life Ive always wanted to be a mother and my boyfriend wants to be a father too. My breasts hurt a lot ,If i sleep on my back and turn to my side it feels like they are being pulled or they are heavy, its very painful, what can I do?? At which stage should I start seeing my doctor?? Thank you so much Purple

mum of in AU January 17, 2014 | 4:57 PM

I have all of these symptoms but I have had my tubes tied. Not sure what to do?

Lynda January 16, 2014 | 6:31 AM

Ever since my last period Ive had really sore breasts. Its been 3 weeks and they still hurt really bad. I felt knots around my left breasts like I was lactating and now they just hurt when i do anything. even just sitting still ! I took a pt at the er 3 days ago and it was negative but im having lower back pains, very frequent urination , ive been eating aot , have dizzy spells and im sleeping wayyyy more than usual. Could I be pregnant ?

Traci January 13, 2014 | 8:26 AM

Hello ladies, My girls have been swollen and sore for two weeks and i am always tired i feel like i am pregnant but i took 3 test and they all said negative. Could i be pregnant or no. Please help me

brandywine December 20, 2013 | 6:15 AM

Oh! And I can't stop peeing! I have to urinate ALL the time.

brandywine December 20, 2013 | 5:55 AM

Hi! I have been very nauseous, headache, very tired, dizzy, emotional...I burst out in tears yesterday because I forgot to pick up tea bags at the store. I thought I had implantation bleeding, just some brown blood and only when I wiped, this lasted for one day. I've taken 3 HPT and all have been negative. I'm only a couple of days late for my period. I feel a fluttering scensation in my uterus...can I be pregnant even with the negative test results?

Brenda November 30, 2013 | 5:38 PM

Hi i have a question n need help..i had unprotected 2 times and lately i ve been more hungry than before, also have a little bit of tingly n sore breasts n feel really tired through out the whole day. Could I b pregnant? having unprotected happened like 2 weeks ago.

Jade November 26, 2013 | 2:58 PM

I have had unprotected 3 times.. Since then I have felt sick, dizziness, and cramp in my stomach I have not felt like this before can someone help me please?? I'm only 17 years old

Lindsey November 23, 2013 | 11:38 AM

Hi i came off the mini pill 9 weeks ago to try for our 3rd child. I've not had a period yet but a few days ago my breasts started hurting exactly the same as when i fell pregnant with my other two children, my question is when do i do a test as i havent had a period yet i have no idea when my period would of been due!?

tracey November 15, 2013 | 10:56 AM

Hi ladys my breasts and nipples r sore i have been getting tummy ache like period pain as well i will do a test soon ill c if i get any more things that would make me think that im pregnant

Bianca November 12, 2013 | 6:41 PM

hello my last period was 10-11-13, so know is late but I been feeling so tired,sore breast , and just got some spotting all my 5 hpt came out negative but I feel pregnant by the way my husband is been getting the morning sickness.

elo November 03, 2013 | 8:42 PM

Hi ladys, i been experiencing sore and tingly breast for the last 2 weeks, extreamly tireding that i can even move, have experience some headaches, and also notice that the coffee it has diferent teasg. I took a pregnant test last week and 1 today 11-3-13 both test show negative. Do you think im pregnant?? Please someone help!!

lucille October 03, 2013 | 6:49 AM

LAST PERIOD WAS TWO MONTHS AGO HAD SORE BREAST BUT NOT MORNING SICKNESS AND MOODY ASWELL CAN I BE PREGNANT

anelson October 02, 2013 | 11:00 AM

I've also been having weird bowels. Not diarrhea, but much looser and very frequent with intestinal cramping & a little mucus. I've lost about 3.5-4 lbs. Also I've been drinking like 80-90oz of water a day, which means I'm peeing constantly. Nipples are tender, but boobs aren't. With my first pregnancy, my boobs weren't sore until the 2nd trimester. Feel like I can't possibly pregnant despite the symptoms.

Mary August 21, 2013 | 2:56 PM

My boyfriend and I had the first day of my period and the last day of my period. My period was at the beginning of this month...both times it was unprotected. The second, last time we did. He pre-ejaculated inside of me. I know that semen can live up to six days inside a women. A couple days after when my period had started I got symptoms that appeared to be ovulation. Now I've been extremely nausea and have had a headache since last wednesday on and off. I'm just wondering if it would be worth taking a pregnancy test? Or are the chances of me actually being pregnant to low and not worth it? Meaning, that I should just wait until my next one. Which should be labor day weekend? Thanks.

Julian's mom August 12, 2013 | 10:46 AM

Hey! Planned Parenthood is a great resource for those who think they might be pregnant... They're not there to try to get you to keep/not keep a baby and they can help you with information AND medical stuff. A lot more help than you get from these posts!