Clean your house in a flash
Woman cleaning house

Who wants to waste an entire day cleaning their house when you can be out having fun with your family instead? With these quick tips you can have your house clean and organized in no time at all.

Quick and easy housecleaning tips

Have a game plan

If you are expecting company and don't have time to clean your entire house, you need to focus on the highly-trafficked or especially messy areas. Before you dive in, formulate a plan to tackle the big jobs first and then worry about the small details later. Starting with the room you hate to clean (or the one that's the dirtiest) is always your best bet. By tackling a big task first, cleaning the rest of your home will be a piece of cake.

Open your windows

Air that's less than fresh can make your house seem dirtier than it is. If the weather permits, open your windows to let the sunshine and air in. Sun is a terrific deodorizer. If you have guests coming over soon, you can use air freshener, light a candle or bake some cookies to eliminate odors quickly.

Do laundry throughout the week

Don't save up all the laundry for the weekend. Make it a habit to do one load of laundry each evening. You'll be surprised at how much cleaner your house will be without piles and piles of dirty clothes everywhere. Don't do it all yourself. Make your kids (and your husband) responsible for folding and putting their own clothes away. Even the youngest kids can do basic folding.

Read about how to make laundry day a breeze >>

Let cleaners do the work for you

Take advantage of cleaning products that do the scrubbing for you. Spray your shower, counter tops and other surfaces, then leave the room for 15 minutes while the cleaners get a headstart on the dirt, grime and soap scum. When you come back, all you'll have to do is wipe. You also can multitask in the bathroom throughout the week. For example, while you are watching your kids take a bath, you can clean the sink or fold towels and linens.

Use a caddy to tote supplies

A plastic caddy is great for organizing and storing your cleaning supplies under the sink. It's also essential for carrying your supplies around the house while you clean. Stock it with all-purpose cleaner, powder cleanser, disinfecting wipes, sponges, rags and anything else you'll need.

Have plenty of bins and baskets

Storage bins and baskets are essential to decluttering your home, especially if you have kids. You can toss magazines and newspapers into one basket, your kid's Legos in another, and your house will be cleaned up lickety-split.

Find out how to stress less about housework >>

Clean up spills immediately

You'll spend a lot less time scrubbing away stains if you clean up spills when they happen. Keep disinfecting wipes in every room of your house to quickly and easily clean, disinfect and deodorize. Don't leave dishes sitting in the sink overnight either. Immediately after each meal, scrape any remaining food into the garbage can or disposal. Rinse your dishes, fill the dishwasher and run it right away. If you don't have enough dishes for a full load, run the dishwasher on a conservation setting or wash the dishes by hand instead.

Vacuum last

Instead of cleaning each room and then vacuuming it immediately, vacuum and/or sweep your entire house last. You'll only need to bring out the vacuum once, plus you won't have to worry about tracking dirt over floors that you just cleaned.

Put on some tunes

Cleaning your house doesn't have to be a drag. You'll be surprised how much faster you clean when you are in a good mood. Blast some of your favorite music (preferably upbeat, high-energy songs) and get to work.

Get kids to pitch in

Kids of all ages can participate in housecleaning chores. Make a chart and delegate everything from making beds to folding socks to taking out the trash. When you are done cleaning the house, reward the whole family (including yourself) with a dinner out or movie night at home.

Read more about how to get your kids to help with the housework >>

More tips for super moms

How to wow others with your organization skills
5-Minute organizing
Simple shortcuts for successful family meals

Comments

Comments on "10 Ways to clean faster"

moncler sweden October 16, 2013 | 3:55 PM

today, i went to the beach front with my children. i found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "you can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." she placed the shell to her ear and screamed. there was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. she never wants to go back! lol i know this is entirely off topic but i had to tell someone!

louis vuitton irene bag October 16, 2013 | 12:22 AM

do you mind if i quote a few of your articles as long as i provide credit and sources back to your site? my blog is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors would genuinely benefit from some of the information you present here. please let me know if this ok with you. regards!

jack July 05, 2013 | 3:40 PM

puting music on helps

Janet May 27, 2013 | 10:44 AM

My grandma taught me the mantra, " Vacuum first, dust once." In other words, if you vacuum last you'll likely stir up or re-deposit some dust (no vacuum filter catches everything), and soon everything settles and you'll need to dust again. I find this is very true in my house, so I vacuum shortly after I begin to clean, do some other things while the dust settles, then dust everything last. I live in a dusty area but battle dust less than my neighbors and friends. I hope this helps someone.

Chyanne April 07, 2013 | 10:12 AM

first I clean the table and dishes then pick up Trash then I clean the bedrooms and make beds and Vacuum, sweep, mop and then vacuum again

Millie October 23, 2012 | 3:18 PM

Top to bottom. Left to right

Millie October 23, 2012 | 1:30 PM

If I get a spill on the carpet, I put a towel on it and step on it to absorb as much as possible and sprinkle salt on it.(A good amount. Vacuum area the next day. NO stain. Also I clean the house all at once.I sweep all walls/clean all fans Start a load of laundry.Fill sink with dishes. Clean all mirrors/ windows/pictures.Change loads of laundry.Wash one load of dishes.Clean Bathrooms/ all glass surfaces/nic-nacs.Dust all house. sweep/ vac/mop. Takes 2-3 Hours for whole house. Just focus. No phone calls or any distractions. Hope it helps.

Georgie September 20, 2012 | 10:02 AM

All well and good, open windows, air freshners, candles, music. BAKE COOKIES? Hey! I need to clean, not make another mess in the kitchen...really...LMAO! Then I have to sit there and eat those cookies and there goes the cleaning, right out the window they say to open...lol

Lauren September 19, 2012 | 10:03 AM

Cleaning up spills immediately is huge. Along those lines, I also always do the dishes as they come. I'm trying to train my kids and husband to put their dishes IN the sink, but I think that's past them. I never go to bed with a dish in the sink, and it makes for a much cleaner household all the time.

Michelle September 17, 2012 | 11:08 AM

The advice about saving the vacuuming for last is very helpful. I usually vacuum first since it’s the easiest thing to do, but this always ends up wasting time because I have to vacuum again after I’m done cleaning. I will try to stick to the mantra of doing the least enjoyable work first and saving the easy stuff for last. This is usually how I tackle most work assignments, except cleaning of course. I guess I would enjoy cleaning more if I didn’t have to do it all the time. Thanks for these ten tips on how to clean faster!

Amanda September 16, 2012 | 9:40 PM

I've always found that putting on a movie, something you've seen before or don't really have to pay attention to (Ten Things I Hate About You is my go-to) makes things so much more enjoyable. By the time the movie is over, you're finished.

Jessica September 14, 2012 | 2:46 PM

I agree that doing laundry through out the week can save you tons of time. I try and do one load per day, actually. If I miss a day I feel so behind. I can't imagine saving all of it for Saturday or something. That would be my entire day!

Hannah September 14, 2012 | 2:45 PM

Opening windows and lighting some candles does wonders. I love to do this and pop on my favorite CD and get to cleaning. It makes it fun and makes the time go by fast. Sometimes I don't even want to stop since I'm enjoying the music so much.