Plan A
Period Party!

The occasion of an adolescent girl’s first period is often a very embarrassing and scary time, even if they have been prepared for it by their mother. One way to lighten the mood and celebrate this momentous time in your daughter’s life is by having a first period party. It can be difficult for young girls and even women to get excited about something that brings both blood and pain, but having a period party can be a great first step towards her being able to embrace her period and its significance as the beginning of her journey to womanhood.

Teen girl and mom

Lisa Carpenter, blogger at Grandma's Briefs, celebrated all three of her daughter's first periods with a "Period Party." The occasion was marked with a Black Forest Cake, purchased by their father, and the presentation of a bag of pads. They also all danced to the song "Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon," sung by Urge Overkill. For Lisa, the party was her family's way "to ensure the moment would not be remembered with shame and secrecy."

Lisa believes that, "Not only did the simple celebrations create fond memories, I think they had an impressive impact on how my daughters view their periods, as they have never used their period as a reason to 'sit out' of activities or stay home from school or get away with bad behavior just because 'it's that time of month.'"

Who to Invite

Some families, like Lisa's, chose to reduce potential embarrassment by only including immediate family. However, others chose to include female friends of their daughter and influential women in her life. Involve your daughter in the planning stages to find out what she would prefer.

What to Do

Once again, this will vary from family to family. Depending on the guest list, either hold a sleepover or a more elegant tea party. For the sleepover, plan to pamper your daughter's friends by offering do-it-yourself face masks, pedicures and manicures, and play girl power tunes in the background. For a tea party, play classical music and serve tea sandwiches and scones.

Another way to go is a red themed party, with red streamers and balloons and red iced cake and brownies. If your daughter decides that she just is too embarrassed to have a period party, all is not lost. Take her out for a special lunch or shopping trip instead.

What to Say

Implement a time of sharing into the party. Have every invited guest share what their first period was like, embarrassing period stories, and tips for battling cramps and PMS. If some of the girls invited haven't had their periods yet, allow them to share some of their fears and expectations about menstruation.

This party is also is the perfect opportunity for you to share your thoughts and hopes for your daughter's future as a young woman. Share a special poem, song or passage from a book that has meant a lot to you over the years, or write your daughter a letter that she can cherish for years to come. Share how being a woman isn't only about bodily changes, but also about her character and the choices that she makes. This is one opportunity for you to pass on wisdom from your years of being a woman to your daughter.

Gifts for the Occasion

These period party gift ideas are a fun way to commemorate the occasion:

• Dot Girl's First Period Kit- This kit comes in a blue or pink container and includes pads, wipes, disposable pad bags, a period guide and calendar, a heating pad, and a coupon for a free bag of Kotex pads. It fits perfectly in a backpack or locker and is everything a girl needs to be prepared for her first period and every one after.
  • Jade and Pearl Moon Maiden Menarche Celebration Bag- This kit comes in a tote bag and includes sea sponge tampons, Tea Tree oil antiseptic, a period calendar, a guide to menstruation for girls, an Herbal tincture for menstrual comfort, cycle beads, and a shell charm. This kit is perfect for those looking to embrace natural remedies for period symptoms and use reusable tampons. There are also other companies that produce reusable tampons and pads that can be found on the internet.

Tell us: Share your ideas for a period party!

More tips on parenting girls:

Comments

Comments on "Celebrate your daughter's first period"

pamela August 31, 2013 | 6:57 AM

Wow. Any woman here who thinks this is a one-up or something is so wrong! You do it for your daughter, not for yourself or anyone else. How could that idea even come about? In our society, there is no celebrating/ initiating into this new stage of life for our girls.This is an important transition that needs to be embraced, not embarrassed! That was mens' doing and in our male-dominated world and church..calling it a "curse" for years! This does need to be un-done. The reason it is embarrassing, is because of all the years of making it bad, dirty and something to hide! If you do research, you will see that in other cultures, where there is ceremony around it and these girls are honored, the women do not suffer from all the cramps and issues western women do! There is no horror around childbirth either! We, as informed, enlightened western women are the ones who can make these critical changes for our future generation of women!So go celebrate...initiate..and honor these girls and their bodies!!! You will be helping to create stronger, creative, informed and secure women!But first you may need to break out of your own fears and embarrassment which is the only real block to helping your daughters.

Blare May 27, 2013 | 3:23 PM

I remember starting my period.... I was the first in my class. It was really embarrassing. I would not have liked a "period party" because it really shares a private moment with too many people. However, one thing I would have liked is just a low key day with my mom, may be my grandma and aunt, and a gift basket with a soft teddy bear, tea, a robe, and movies. It be fun to have a home spa/movie day just my mom and I. I feel starting your period is a very private event. I think that it is something you don't want the world to know about, but deff something you don't want to deal with alone.

Emma May 25, 2013 | 12:48 AM

PLEASE NOTE - My time zone means that it is 5:30pm not 12:30 in the morning - Wow what a party!

Emma May 25, 2013 | 12:47 AM

First might I say each to her own. This idea may not suit every Mum or more importantly every girl, however as a Mum of two girls and the eldest daughter of two girls, I think a celebration or noting of this occasion rather than the embarrassed awkward silence that normally accompanies it. It needn't be a huge party, just a simple high tea or other "Ladies event" with friends. I agree with the comment above about "immediate family" - not on your nelly MUM!!! I'd have didn't to have had my grandmother or old fashioned aunts in attendance, but some of the girls best friends and some of Mum's hip friends with their daughters would be great. I am off to my friend's daughter Period Party in exactly one hour. We've all written a note for her, hoping to share our first experiences and basically how we got through awkward moments and she will too. This young lady is an outgoing and mature lass. Again as I said at the start, each to her own, but for this Mum and this daughter it is a lovely acknowledgement of am important time in a girls life.

Cathy May 15, 2013 | 12:17 PM

This is a joke, right?

stacie May 15, 2013 | 11:29 AM

This makes me so glad i have a boy! This is just wrong!

Jean May 14, 2013 | 2:34 PM

No girl wants you to throw her a period party with the immediate family present. This is so unfair to the girl. Don't let men tell us to give up our private girl moments. This is so inappropriate.

Melissa October 25, 2012 | 5:22 PM

I think this is a nice idea if done in the right way. I like the idea of a young girl learning to honour her body. I like the idea of a discreet celebration just to let her know a period is nothing to be ashamed of and instead its a special part of being a woman. Its a biological necessity in order to bear children and become a mother one day in the future. Sometimes I think the sacredness of womanhood and all that it entails is not valued enough in current society. Just because some parents grew up hiding and/or feeling ashamed about having periods, doesn't mean that needs to be projected onto the current generation of women.

Charity October 04, 2012 | 7:47 PM

I think this is an FANTASTIC idea!! Some friends of mine had period parties and I was so jealous! This is a wonderful time to celebrate how amazing women's bodies are and to let a young girl know that she has many women in her life who can help answer any questions and concerns she has, not just about menstruation, but about bodies, puberty and . The earlier we encourage young girls to feel proud of their bodies and to ask questions about how they are feeling, the more comfortable they will be when they have more important concerns and the safer they will be.

Kelly March 23, 2012 | 8:04 AM

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS WOMAN?! Just another way that parents can "one up" each other when it comes to their kids and ridiculous nonsense they can spend money on. If I heard that my daughter's friend's mother was throwing a party like this, I would NEVER let her go over there ever again with this crazy whack job on the loose. If you really have nothing else better to do with your daughter besides talk about feelings and periods, I feel sorry for your kid. She is going to be so embarrassed and hate you... and pretend that you don't exist. Get a life and maybe a Carebear to share your feelings with and stay out of your daughter's vagina, she'll thank you for it later, Creepy Creeperton!

mytisis March 23, 2012 | 7:53 AM

This is a horrible, horrible idea. This is a very embarrassing and distasteful thing to do to your daughter. This is a private moment in your daughters life. This should be a time to bond with your daughter, teach her about womanhood and making her feel secure. Show some class...

Amanda October 04, 2010 | 5:18 PM

What the heck...? If my mother threw me a first period party then I would freaking die of embarrassment! Why do you people think this is a GOOD idea?