The Worst
Baby Names

Have you ever said, "Wow, that kid is going to hate her name when she grows up!" Certain names just evoke emotions in people for many reasons -- the name reminds them of someone they dislike or the name itself sounds silly or inappropriate. Other names are just embarrassing, cruel or simply terrible when paired with certain last names. Some traditional names (for example, Harry) when used with a last name like Butz might make him the center of unwanted attention and can damage his self-esteem. Check out these actual bad baby names taken from the US Census.

Baby with funny expression

Read 'em and weep

Parents today are interested -- more than ever -- in coming up with the most unusual and very cool name. Many of these moms and dads were often in classrooms full of kids with the same name, such as Sarah, Michelle, John and Matt. Perhaps they were even one of those children and grew up known as Michelle K. or Matt L. They may have the desire for their own child to stand out -- in a good way -- and have a name that everyone can remember.

What were they thinking?

Some parents take it to the extreme and use their naming powers to bestow names that are above and beyond unique. The reason for this may be the same as other parents but often the results are less than idea as the child grows up and becomes an adult.

You may have many different reactions to the names on the following list (generated from US Census data and are names of people who are -- or were -- living in the United States). You might find it disturbing, amusing or downright horrifying. If you and your partner are considering an extremely unique name, try to picture yourself as your child growing up with such a name.

Picture her using it as a child, in the classroom, as well as her as an adult, seeking a job and meeting her future spouse. Most importantly, remember to always pair it with your last name!

List of bad baby names

This is the list of the absolute worst baby names given to actual kids living in the United States, according to the US Census date:

• Uranus Stukey
  • Lard Mooney
  • Good Hell
  • Emma Royd
  • Noble Butt
  • Naught E. Bishop
  • Stud Duck

What do you think of these bad baby names? Comment below!

More on baby names:

Comments

Comments on "They named him what? Bad baby names"

Alyssa Cheyenne November 27, 2010 | 9:35 PM

My last name begins with an 'M'. My mother always told me (jokingly of course) that I should marry someone whose last name began with an 'E' so that my initials would spell "ACME". My boyfriend of over 3 years (whose last name begins with an 'M' as well, for the record)and I talk about what we would like to name our children all the time, and he is being really anal about it. He doesn't want there to be any chance his children will be teased for their name. I appreciate that he is careful, but it sure makes things difficult...

Angie June 05, 2010 | 10:13 AM

Goodness... that is horrible. i want to name my daughter Starletta Diggs hopefully that is not horrible

Bella May 15, 2010 | 5:54 PM

I'll be honest...some of these names made me giggle. Like, Naught E. Bishop, Mary A. Jerk, Ima and Fanny Whiffer. I can't believe the parents would name their children like that! School is going to be hell for them...

caitlyn April 21, 2010 | 4:51 PM

I feel bad for most of those children/people... I thought my name was awful... (my middle name is Armenta... hate it.) Naming my kids took some thought, and, some people hate them- Drezden and Harlan. I just can't get over some of those... it's just... ridiculous...

Charlotte Lawrence April 20, 2010 | 1:35 PM

I once worked as a pharmacy technician and saw lots of strange names on prescriptions but the one I thought was the strangest was Fonda Peters.

Missy Anne April 15, 2010 | 7:00 AM

I do agree that a lot of these seem like a terrible joke. However, Jenna S, with my maiden name my initials spelled out 'MAP' and I never had a problem with it. I don't think anyone in school ever teased me about it and no one ever seemed to notice the coincidence besides me. I think careful consideration in names for children is needed though. We took a lot of time before naming our son, only because we wanted him to have a fitting name.

Dannielle Barnett April 15, 2010 | 6:18 AM

Wow...those poor kids! I don't think what we named our daughter is THAT bad, but we still get evil stares when people hear it or a lot of questions...her name is Alchemy Phoenix.

HereticPrincess April 13, 2010 | 11:12 AM

These names almost seem like a (albeit cruel!) joke!

Jenna S April 13, 2010 | 10:12 AM

I really feel badly for Ima . I bet she got teased horribly.I'm the mom that even had to write the names out and make sure the intials wouldn't be something odd or that can be turned into a weird name.Like.. MAP- Matthew Andrew Peters or something similiar.

Eva Whiting April 12, 2010 | 8:39 PM

These baby names are terrible. Poor kids! What kind of parents would do this to a child?