Early signs of pregnancy

Are You Pregnant?

Could you be pregnant? That thought crosses many women's minds when they find their bodies behaving unusually. While the symptoms could mean any number of things, knowing what they are can put your mind to rest -- or give it lots of hope.

Tired Woman

Before a missed period, are there signs that you might be pregnant? Yes -- and for women who are in tune with their bodies, they can be very noticeable. While a pregnancy test is the best indicator of a pregnancy, these early signs can help you know you even before you take a test.

Tender breasts

If your breasts have never been tender, the sensations of swelling and soreness to the touch are foreign. For the pregnant woman, however, it's commonplace, as breasts ready themselves to fill up with milk. You can experience this symptom just a few weeks into pregnancy. "The most common symptom for me was sore breasts and that unexplained instinct that I just knew," says Nancy, a mom of one who has had four pregnancies (three of which resulted in miscarriage). Nancy says that she could always tell she was expecting around the second week after conception.

Fatigue

quotation mark open I was probably about a week pregnant and was making my morning cup of coffee when I thought, 'Hmmm, this doesn't smell right.' (By) the fifth day, I made my cup of coffee, looked at it longingly...and poured it down the drain! That was in February, and our daughter was born in November quotation mark close

One of the most often mistaken signs of pregnancy is fatigue -- that oh-so-tired feel that can be as much a symptom of being over-stressed, overworked or jet-lagged. But it can also mean early pregnancy. "I have always been really in tune to my body, but when I first came home from Italy, I was extraordinarily exhausted, which I chalked up to jet lag. I went out to dinner with friends that week and then went home instead of dancing. This was week one [of pregnancy]," says Michele Smith of M Communications (mcommunicationsinc.com).

Heightened sense of smell

You may have heard that pregnant women have an intense, heightened sense of smell that can make normally enjoyable scents unbearable. It might be herbs, cake, seafood or even beloved drinks, but suddenly something is just off. "I was probably about a week pregnant and was making my morning cup of coffee when I thought, 'Hmmm, this doesn't smell right.' (By) the fifth day, I made my cup of coffee, looked at it longingly...and poured it down the drain! That was in February, and our daughter was born in November," said Ann Michael Henry, an effectiveness and productivity consultant with Mise En Place (m-e-p.com).

Nausea

Morning sickness (an incredible misnomer for general malaise that you may feel at any time of the day) can start really early in a pregnancy. You might geel nauseated from things that previously didn't make you ill. That's what happened to Carrie Furet, owner of Essential Baby Planner in San Diego, California (ebabyplanner.com). "My husband and I had gone to the East Coast to visit his family, which we do about twice a year. I felt totally fine on our way out, but on our flight back, I started to get nauseated! I was a frequent flyer at the time, and I never got sick. So, I knew something was off about me," says Carrie. About a week later, she missed her period and took several pregnancy tests -- all positive.

Food aversions and/or cravings

pregnant cravings

If there is one symptom that is epitomizes pregnancies, it's cravings. But women who are pregnant also experience intense aversions (like Ann, who no longer had a nose or taste for coffee). When a craving or aversion strikes, it's surprising, unexpected and incredibly strong. "I know this sounds weird, but I knew I was pregnant when I woke up one day absolutely needing a Big Mac. I hadn't eaten at McDonald's for years after the Supersize Me movie, so I was pretty sure," says Laura Silverthorn, president of Mother Ink (motherink.com).

Some cravings venture beyond the normal to include inedible items; this is called "pica." In those cases, women need to be careful not to give in. "Pica is most often reported among pregnant women," registered dietitian Joyce Barnett, assistant professor of clinical nutrition at UT Southwestern Allied Health Sciences School, told Pregnancy and Baby. "But it can occur among nonpregnant women, men and children. Children usually outgrow it, but make sure they aren't eating toxic items, such as lead-containing paint chips."

Other symptoms

Other early symptoms some pregnant women experience include headaches, light bleeding and/or cramping, constipation, mood swings, faintness, dizziness and raised basal body temperature.

Tell us: What was your earliest sign of pregnancy? Comment below!

related video:

Pamper the Mom!

Along with all the excitement during your pregnancy there also comes the hormonal changes to your body that can leave you feeling tired, moody, and just plain stressed out at times. Taking care of mom to be, Shay Pausa shows us a pregnancy treatment that relaxes and pampers!

more on pregnancy:

Comments

Comments on "Early signs of pregnancy"

Brandi February 19, 2014 | 1:40 PM

Hi, I've taken 8 pregnancy test and they all came out negative and I'm 10 days pass my period due date. Also i'm the Birth control pill, and we used a condom. 2 of the test where from a small Doctors office on my schools campus,and they were negative. But still no period and I'm getting symptoms, my left breast is really hurting and my back is killing me. please i need some help.!

jojo January 27, 2014 | 5:20 PM

my girlfriend have a period but it takes only for a half day. can it be consider as a pregnant...?

Kara December 26, 2013 | 10:13 AM

I had my period the other day BUT it was only a half a day that I bled. my breasts have been SO sore I cant stand it. I've been so wore out but thought it was just cause of Christmas and stuff. Im always hungry. there's been a few other things to make me worry about being pregnant. but do yall know if its even a possibility since I was on my period a half a day??

carrie November 30, 2013 | 3:24 PM

iv had pregnancy symptoms for the past 10 days...nausea,bloating,cramps,dizzyness,backache,heightened sense of smell. iv done 3 tests all negative,im not due my period for 11 days but something doesnt feel right,am i pregnant or not?

Janet September 22, 2013 | 11:46 AM

For 3wks I felt sick as a dog, couldn't stay awake and had bad headaches I had one wk free of any symptom's, then all of a sudden the smell of roast beef almost made me vomit, I have done a pregnancy test and my doctor did a urine one as well both said negative. Is it possible its just too early to tell???

Bre September 08, 2013 | 9:16 AM

I've been having normal periods for the last four months, and this month I'm 8 days late. My breast are tender, my mood is mostly down, not wanting to do anything w/ my fiance. I feel blah. We've been using condoms and I just dont see how I could possibly be pregnant. Does anybody have any suggestions for me? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

anita July 05, 2013 | 5:28 PM

my nipples are feeling tender (especially my left nipple) since 2 days. i had unprotected with my boyfriend 1 week before and that was the 13th day. i got my periods on 16th june and we had on 28th june. i am very scared, please help me. i am also feeling very hungry since 3 days

natasha May 28, 2013 | 10:58 AM

I am really tierd all the time and im craving carrots and ive put a bit of weight on my stomach nowhere else n my nipples have darkened a lil but ive taken a few pregnancy test n they have all cum back negative.what do you suggest I do next?

pregnancy symptoms before missed period February 19, 2013 | 11:11 AM

This is a very informative article.I was looking for these things and here I found it. Like the site pregnancy symptoms before missed period I am doing a project and this information is very useful me. …..

Marie CA April 01, 2012 | 3:38 PM

never heard of painful urination being associated with pregnancy. with my first pregnancy i had sharp headaches on the sides and temples of my head. dizzy spells. hunger followed by disgust and nausea after about 2 bites, and never could get caught up on my sleep. went to the doc for a pregnancy test (hadn't missed a period but the one before that only lasted 2 days and was very light) and the test came back negative. the doctor actually told me that if i've been having lots of it probably messed up my hormones and caused the symptoms. good thing i didn't believe her, and i lived my life "as if" i was pregnant, like not drinking, not smoking, and waited to see if a period came. of course it didn't. and then i got to go back to that doc and tell her "i told you so" and then changed doctors on her. with my second pregnancy, we were TRYING to conceive, so i made a habit of randomly taking pregnancy tests. i didn't have one single symptom, and didn't even think i was pregnant, but because i was only 1 day late on my period i decided to take a test, and it came back positive. completely different pregnancies and completely different kids.

kate September 17, 2011 | 2:00 PM

My period was early last month, and and extremely abnormal. I took a home test 3 days into the bleeding but it came back negative. It's two weeks later now and I am very tired, moody and just have a feeling that I am pregnant. Should I take another test or wait for my next period?

Meka June 28, 2009 | 5:40 AM

Two days after we conceived I just had the feeling like I was. Also I had the worst Gag reflex when brushing my teeth a week and a half later the test was +!!!

rayanna May 29, 2009 | 6:43 AM

sometimes it may feel like u aer but that doesnt mean u arent do the math

Addison May 28, 2009 | 2:52 PM

I did have breast tenderness, but I also just had a "feeling" I was pregnant. Did anyone else notice this? BTW Lenice, it is recommended you take a pregnancy test in the morning. If you are having burning, maybe something else is going on? I would talk do your doctor.

lenice May 28, 2009 | 10:16 AM

i have been having cravings for chocolate but when i pee it burns and its a little pee,but i took the pregnancy test at night,do i have to tske it in the morning? it was negative