Giving Back

On a recent trip to Sierra Leone, Africa, actress Salma Hayek's motherly instinct kicked in when she saw a hungry African baby. Still nursing her 16-month-old daughter Valentina, Hayek began breastfeeding the one week old baby boy.

What would you do if you were breastfeeding your own child and came across a hungry baby whose own mother was not healthy enough to give of her own milk? For actress Salma Hayek, it was an easy choice. She tells Nightline she initially wondered if she was being disloyal to her own child by giving away her milk, but decided it was the right way to teach her daughter to be a caring, generous person. "My baby would be proud to give her milk. I am in Africa and I was able to feed a hungry baby."

In fact, Hayek remembers her great-grandmother telling her the story of when she was young and nursing her own children, she breastfeed a hungry baby she saw in a Mexican village. She says that story always stuck with her and feels this was her way of giving back to the world.

In Africa, many girls have babies at age 13 and, even though food and clean water is not easy to find, their hubands discourage them from breastfeeding because they think a nursing woman cannot have sexual relations. It would be great to think that perhaps Hayek's generous act will help change their thinking.

Watch the video and share with us your thoughts on Hayek breastfeeding the African baby boy.

Read More:

Comments

Comments on "Salma Hayek breastfeeds a hungry baby in Africa: Video"

Mamem Moromi July 10, 2013 | 10:28 PM

Salma Hayek as a MUSLIM is doing the right thing.

Nana January 30, 2013 | 7:50 PM

This literally brought tears to my eyes. Salma I have so much respect for you. Only a mother could understand how precious her gift was

RobMarie May 20, 2012 | 6:00 PM

One of the special ways a mother can help another mother. 38 years ago the was a tv plea for mother's milk. 38 years ago a new mother could not produce any milk and her baby could not digest anything else. The LeLahe Society was young, but they sent out the call for help from women like me. I could have nursed 2 babies easilly.

sharon green May 04, 2012 | 2:42 AM

This is something only a mother can understand. Selma did the RIGHT thing. When a baby is hungry....you feed it!

VeggieMomma April 23, 2009 | 9:39 AM

Wow... I bawled watching this. I'm a nursing mom right now and I nursed my other son as well. I am so sad for the babies who do not get milk. I believe BREAST milk (not formula) is a child's right in every country--the same as clothing and shelter and food when they are older.

itzme52 February 23, 2009 | 4:23 PM

I love this. It's not new though. My Grandmother was a twin and my Great-Grandmother had trouble keeping both girls fed, so she relied on the help of wet-nurses in the neighborhood. This has been going on for centuries all over the world. Salma you are a wonderful woman for taking care of that little one, if only for one meal.

Patsy February 23, 2009 | 6:46 AM

Hooray for Salma Hayek for giving such life giving support to a hungry child. I've always liked her acting and could see how beautiful she was. Now I know she is beautiful of spirit also.