Start writing
Share this Story

Prenatal vitamins not so benign when small children find them

Many expectant mothers don't always think to keep their prenatal vitamins under lock and key or at least out of reach of their other young children.

But doing so just might save their toddler's life, says Dr. Kathleen Delaney, vice chairman of emergency medicine and professor of surgery and internal medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

"I suspect that many people think that they are benign -- just vitamins," Dr. Delaney says. "But they are extremely high in iron, which can be toxic to small children."

If you suspect your toddler has swallowed prenatal vitamins, immediately head to the nearest emergency department. Of course, all medicines, vitamins or supplements -- as well as cleaners, poisons and other potentially harmful household products -- should be kept secured and out of reach of young children.

To reach poison control call 1-800-222-1222.

Comments
Hot
New in Parenting
Close

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!

b h e a r d !

Welcome to the new SheKnows Community,

where you can share your stories, ideas

and CONNECT with millions of women.

Get Started