The Pediatrician Answers:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that botulism is a rare but serious foodborne disease. When infants eat contaminated food, the botulinum bacterium spores grow in the intestines and release toxin. Treatment for infants requires hospitalization and possibly care in an intensive care unit. Antitoxin is not recommended for infants.
By the time infants are over one year of age, their intestines are able to destroy any botulinum spores, so honey is safe for toddlers and older children.