In your search for the perfect baby name, you may have to explore different avenues if regular popularity lists aren't inspiring you. Some moms and dads are instead inspired by the meanings behind a baby's name, and if you or your partner loves birds, then you're in luck.
These baby names for boys and girls have something in common. They all either literally mean "bird," are a type of bird or are associated with birds in some manner. Whether you adore small songbirds or large, powerful hunters of the sky, there is definitely a name here for your new baby.
Baby boy names that mean "bird"
- Altair: Comes from an Arabic element that means "bird"
- Birtle: This unique boy name means "hill of birds"
- Burdett: This bird baby name has Middle English origins
- Byrd: Meaning "birdlike," this name has an Old English origin
- Covey: This gorgeous name means "brood of birds"
- Crane: From the name of the long-legged bird
- Cransford: A more formal name, this probably refers to cranes as well
- Eagle: A strong name, this refers to the bird of prey
- Efron: This Hebrew name means "singing bird"
- Fowler: This is an occupational name and means "bird trapper"
- Gannet: This is the name of a seabird that lives on cliffs and rocks
- Hawk: Another name that refers to a bird of prey
- Jay: Ordinarily a nickname for a more formal name, this also refers to a type of bird
- Phoenix: Derived from a Greek myth, this bird dies and then rises from its own ashes
- Starling: A type of bird
- Talon: This name means the claw of a bird of prey
- Tern: A marine bird
- Torio: This Japanese name means "bird's tail"
- Vireo: The name of a pretty green migratory bird
Baby girl names that mean "bird"
- Alouette: This French name means "lark"
- Altaira: Meaning "bird," this name has Arabic roots
- Ava: Possibly derived from the Latin word for "bird"
- Birdie: A supercute vintage name, this of course means "bird"
- Cholena: This Delaware Indian name means "bird"
- Circe: A mythological name that means "bird"
- Daya: A Hebrew name, this means "bird of prey"
- Deora: Meaning "bird, a swallow," this name has Hebrew origins
- Dove: A lovely, simple bird name
- Eileen: This classic name means "bird"
- Einan: This sweet name means "little bird"
- Jena: Of Sanskrit and Arabic origins, this name means "little bird"
- Kanara: A Hebrew name, this means "little bird, canary"
- Lark: A gorgeous, singular name, this reflects the playful songbird of the same name
- Linette: Of Welsh and Old French origins, this means "a small songbird"
- Palila: A Hawaiian name, this means "bird"
- Phoebe: This is another name that comes from a type of bird
- Raven: The name of a large, black bird
- Robin: Supercute bird name
- Tori: This stand-alone name has Japanese roots and means "bird"
- Wren: This is another name of an actual bird
- Zippora: A Hebrew name, this means "bird"
Before you go, check out our slideshow below: