Share this Story

Couple slams NHS for taking a 'gamble' with their baby's life

For Cailyn Cox, writing isn't just a hobby, it's her life. Passionate about Hollywood, she makes it her mission to find the most entertaining celebrity gossip for SheKnows readers. And when she's not enthralled in the celeb world, she's ...

Devastated couple fight for change following newborn's death — which could have been prevented by £11 test

From SheKnows UK

A Lanarkshire couple have experienced every parent's worst nightmare, the death of their baby. What's more, they say their child could still be alive if they had been offered a simple NHS test costing only £11.

More: Mum goes to crazy lengths to prevent giving birth before year ends

Zach Blackie was just 2 weeks old when he died in his mum's arms in August from meningitis caused by a group B streptococcus infection, the Daily Record reports. Now the grieving parents are calling for change, yesterday taking the fight for mandatory testing to Holyrood's public petitions committee.

Zach's mother Shaheen McQuade had unknowingly carried the infection but, had she been given a swab when she was pregnant, it reportedly could have been treated with antibiotics.

Speaking of her and partner Craig Blackie's loss, McQuade said, "Zach was not given the right to live. I've been denied the right to have my son in my life and watch him grow up. Instead I have been sentenced to a lifetime of heartache.

More: 8 Mums share their worst pregnancy secrets

"To lose a baby is devastating, to know it could have been prevented is torture. This has to change.

"I think it's neglect. The NHS took a gamble with my son's life and they lost. I don't want any other parents or families to suffer what we have had to go through."

McQuade has already received support from MSPs, who have called upon the Scottish Government to take action and ensure that routine screenings are mandatory.

More: GPs are "close to breaking point" and unable to meet their patients' needs

The statistics are scary, with one in five women in the U.K. reportedly carrying the group B streptococcus bacteria in their systems. According to the University of Oxford the bacterium is passed from mother to baby at birth, affecting around one in 2,000 babies under 3 months old each year.

The NHS claims that most cases are successfully treated but one in 10 babies affected will die.

Do you think routine screenings should be introduced? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

New in Parenting

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!

b h e a r d !

Welcome to the new SheKnows Community,

where you can share your stories, ideas

and CONNECT with millions of women.

Get Started