Share this Story

Child's exploding hoverboard leads to the destruction of a family home

For Cailyn Cox, writing isn't just a hobby, it's her life. Passionate about Hollywood, she makes it her mission to find the most entertaining celebrity gossip for SheKnows readers. And when she's not enthralled in the celeb world, she's ...

Is a hoverboard a great gift or a danger to family safety?

From SheKnows Australia
In recent months, hoverboards around the world have been getting a bad name, with reports of some spontaneously catching fire, and a Melbourne family recently had an extremely dangerous encounter with one of the devices.

More: 7 Most awkward things about being a parent during Christmas

What was meant to be one of the kids' favourite Christmas presents turned into a deadly disaster. The hoverboard is believed to have caught alight while on charge in a child's bedroom at the back of a Stratham home while the family unknowingly sat in the front room, watching TV, acting Commander Phil Smith told Daily Mail Australia.

According to Mr Smith, the family were "oblivious to what was going on" and were only alerted to the blaze by a smoke alarm.

"A fire alarm went off, and when the family went to look at the bedroom, they saw it had been engulfed in flames," he said.

More: Nike confirms self-lacing Back to the Future II shoes are real

Luckily the five family members and their pets were able to escape the home unharmed, but their brick home was badly damaged, 9 News reports. It took around 30 minutes for fire authorities to get the blaze under control.

Hoverboards were a hugely popular gift in 2015, but their safety has recently been called into question, with warnings having previously been issued for exploding hoverboards.

A man from Gulf Shores, Alabama, previously shared a video of his exploding hoverboard.

But these are not isolated incidents. There is also footage online of a hoverboard exploding in the Deerbrook Mall shopping mall in Humble, Texas.

While another hoverboard caught alight in a Brooklyn, New York, apartment.

More: Reporter shames airline for not upgrading her due to injury — is she right?

While there have been no other reported incidents caused by hoverboards in Melbourne homes, Mr Smith's comments should serve as a word of caution for consumers.

"There is a good chance, following this, there are going to be more [incidents]," he said.

If you purchased a hoverboard for Christmas, please be extra vigilant to help prevent something like this from happening in your home.

New in Parenting

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!

b h e a r d !

Welcome to the new SheKnows Community,

where you can share your stories, ideas

and CONNECT with millions of women.

Get Started