SECTIONS
What would you like to know?
Share this Story
/

School bans spicy crisps after they cause pupil to stop breathing

When she's not writing, Claire Gillespie can most often be found wiping snotty noses, picking up Lego, taking photos of her cat or doing headstands.

If you wouldn't give your kid a jalapeño, don't give him a packet of Doritos Roulette crisps

From SheKnows UK
A school has been quick to ban a new, limited edition variety of Doritos after one pupil stopped breathing while eating them.

The super-spicy Doritos Roulettes — which have already been banned by food standard agencies in the United States — have been deemed a health and safety risk by teachers at George Pindar School in Scarborough, and parents have been sent a letter warning them that the crisps can cause "severe distress", reports The Telegraph.

The Doritos U.K. website states that "Most of the Doritos in the [Roulette] pack are the delicious Tangy Cheese flavour that you love, but one chip in every handful is so spicy it may bring you to tears." This means that if the taster chows down on one of these spicier-than-normal crisps — which are coated in an invisible chilli powder — they're in for a very hot surprise.

More: Kids dupe teacher into showing Fifty Shades of Grey in class

The powder measures 78,000 units on the Scoville Heat Scale (by comparison, a Scotch Bonnet pepper rates between 100,000 and 350,000). The front of the crisp packet does come with a warning, stating: "Some of these chips are ultra spicy."

Parents have praised the school for taking action in banning the crisps and advising pupils to stay away from them.

The school revealed that the pupil who became ill after eating a bag of Doritos Roulettes had a pre-existing respiratory condition, which was triggered by the heat of the crisps. But we're guessing even kids without a medical condition wouldn't fancy having their heads blown off by their break-time snack.

Best to avoid this one, mums and dads.

More parenting news

Breastfeeding mom kicked out of pool for nursing her baby boy
4-Month-old dies on his very first day of day care
State refuses to put both of baby's parents on birth certificate

Tagged in
Comments
Hot
New in Parenting
Close

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!