SECTIONS
What would you like to know?
Share this Story
/

Boy in critical condition after he's found in burning home holding his dog

Monica Beyer is a mom of four and has been writing professionally since 2000, when her first book, Baby Talk, was published. Her main area of interest is attachment parenting and all that goes with it, including breastfeeding, co-sleepin...

Missouri boy rescued from house fire, in critical condition

A tragedy leaves a little boy fighting for his life after his treasured pet perishes in a house fire.

A heartbreaking story out of Kansas City, Missouri, tells the sad tale of a 4-year-old boy who was found in a burning home, clutching his dog. While he didn't appear to have experienced any burns, he did experience serious smoke inhalation and is currently in the hospital in critical condition.

Firefighters say that the tragedy began when the boy's great-grandmother accidentally started a cooking fire, which quickly flamed out of control when she tried to put it out on her own. She was able to save her own life when she ran out of the home, but was unable to rescue the boy.

To make matters worse, stored ammunition in the home began to heat up and go off, so rescue attempts were hampered by zinging bullets. Neighbors said they had hoped to try to rescue the boy as well, but due to the dangerous nature of the fire and the exploding ammo, they were unable to (of course, you always must wait for the trained experts to rescue trapped individuals — not only for your safety, but for theirs).

On an even more tragic note, the child was found in a back room, with the door shut, while he held on to his dog. While firefighters were able to rescue the boy, they were unable to resuscitate his dog, who ultimately perished as a result of the fire.

The preschooler is now fighting for his life at a local children's hospital where he is being treated for severe smoke inhalation. Smoke inhalation, and not burns, is the primary cause of death for victims of indoor fires — it is estimated that 50 to 80 percent of fire deaths are due to inhalation injuries. He is currently listed in critical condition, and Battalion Chief Jimmy Walker reported that the boy was breathing and had a pulse when he was whisked away to safety.

People in the Kansas City area are heartbroken to hear about this small child and his faithful friend, and efforts are being made to donate a new puppy to the family when he recovers and they get settled in a new home.

More parenting in the news

Cops reportedly held 11-year-old girl at gunpoint in her own home
Man arrested for trying to circumcise his nephew with a kitchen knife
Fourth-grader suspended for Lord of the Rings make-believe ring

Tagged in
Comments
Hot
New in Parenting
Close

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!