For many moms, making dinner can be one of the hardest tasks of the day. What do you cook, and how do you make sure the kids are going to eat it?
But don't worry. We have some great dinner ideas that are not only easy to make but known to be well loved by kids.
Fully loaded mac and cheese
We all know kids love mac and cheese, but ease your guilt as a parent, and add some extra flavour and nutrition to the meal.
Prepare your favourite mac and cheese dinner, and then try mixing in the following precooked combos:
- Peas and bacon
- Mushrooms and chicken
- Tomatoes and broccoli
- Zucchini, mushrooms and ham
- Ground beef and peppers
English muffin pizzas
This really is super quick and can be as healthy as you want to make it.
Simply cut English muffins in half, and let the kids help you make the pizzas. Start off with a tomato sauce base, and then layer with toppings such as these:
- Ham or bacon
- Leftover chicken
- Peppers (red or green)
- Zucchini slices
Top with cheese, and bake in the oven.
Chicken Caesar salad cups
Take this much-loved favourite, and turn it into an easy-to-eat meal.
- Instead of chopping up romaine lettuce leaves, break apart the head, and keep the lettuce leaves whole. Wash and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together cooked chicken (buy a pre-roasted chicken from the store), boiled eggs, bacon, croutons and your favourite store-bought Caesar dressing.
- Spoon the salad mixture into the lettuce cups, top with Parmesan cheese, and let the kids eat them with their hands.
Loaded with eggs and vegetables, frittatas are a winning meal for all family members.
- In a skillet on medium heat, cook a chopped onion and 1 clove of crushed garlic until translucent. Add in 2 cups of chopped vegetables and precooked meat (such as chicken), bacon, peppers (red or green), peas, mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini, etc.
- Once the vegetables have softened and the precooked meat is heated through, pour over 6–8 eggs that have been whisked well with 1/4 cup of milk. Don't stir; just let the eggs start to cook and set in the pan.
- When it is about halfway cooked, sprinkle over a 1/2 cup of grated cheese. Cover the pan, and let it continue cooking until the egg is fully cooked through and the cheese has melted.
- Slide the frittata out of the pan and onto a plate or chopping board. Let it cool and set slightly, then cut into wedges, and serve as is or with a side salad.
More quick and easy meals
Tasty ways to top a baked potato
Thai chicken stir-fry
A quick, healthy, chickpea salad