Crappy Pictures: The Magic Of Stockings

Parents often complain about stockings and having to find "stocking stuffers" which need to be small enough to fit in their child’s stocking. I didn’t see the appeal of them at first either.

Stocking stuffers under the couch - Crappy Pictures

Why do I need to give my kid a bunch of little small things that will just wind up forgotten and under the couch anyway?

Well, I’ve finally seen the light.

The magic of stockings

The magic of Christmas stockings - Crappy Pictures

Stockings are marvelous. They are full of magic — especially for parents. This is why.

On Christmas morning, when the kids wake up way, way, way too early because they are so excited that it is Christmas, you can enlist the help of the stockings.

Stuff them good

Christmas morning - Crappy Pictures

The more you pack in there the more time the stocking will buy you. And if you individually wrap each item it makes it much more fun for them and lengthens your moments of sleep.

The awesomeness of stockings

Awesome stocking stuffers - Crappy Pictures

I’ve found that it doesn’t have to be filled with a bunch of junk either. If it is wrapped, it will be fun to open. Some things we’ve done have been oranges, breakfast cereal bars, fruit leathers, other snacks or treats, toothbrush, socks, underwear, pens, markers, crayons and other art supplies and even individually wrapped coins.

In full disclosure, in our family, the kids bring the stockings into our room and open them on our bed so we can watch them open everything. So it’s not exactly sleeping in... but still.

Staying in bed a little bit longer? Best Christmas present ever. Stockings are awesome.

Image credit: Amber Dusick

About the author:

Amber Dusick - Crappy PicturesAmber Dusick is one of our SheKnows Experts Among Us. She is the author of the bestselling humor book Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures. She writes and illustrates the blog Crappy Pictures where she captures the hilarious and frustrating things that happen in marriage and parenting. Find her on Twitter and Facebook.

More about motherhood

7 Reasons why bathrobes are cooler than yoga pants
How to make holiday gift giving less stressful
Why I love (not) back-to-school time

Comments

Comments on "What Christmas stockings are actually for"

sonya December 24, 2013 | 6:50 AM

when we lived in germany(armybrat) we would polish our shoes and i mean detail them like a fancy car. then we would put them next to our bedroom door. if we were good we got candy in them if not it was switches for us! most of the time it was half and half . it was so much fun waking up and looking in there, my parents got more rest and our shoes were spotless for church that day and sunday.

Andrea December 19, 2013 | 11:01 PM

This cracks me up because it dawned on me, after I became a parent, why our stockings from Santa always appeared at the end of our bed growing up. I loved the tradition, and my mom kept it up until I was in college/my last years living at home - I never caught her :)

Kate December 19, 2013 | 5:25 AM

We've always done stockings even in the years where there are no little kids. When it's adults to adults it's just a nice way to give people all the little things that you think they would like without it being a big deal.

karen December 18, 2013 | 11:43 PM

We have had stockings for the past few years, our little boy is 4... He knows that the gifts in the stocking from Santa and the pressies under the tree are from Mamma and Dadda... So we get to enjoy some of the credit and appreciation on the day :)

Elizabeth December 18, 2013 | 11:18 PM

The absence of stockings is one of the things I like least about Christmas in Germany. Here the big present unwrapping party is Christmas Eve evening. In the past the Christmas Tree didn't go up until then, so the kids would come home from church and see the lit/decorated tree for the first time with all the presents underneath. Now, I get that could be magical. But now that part doesn't happen, but since we celebrate with my in-laws and my girls' cousin is also there, I've always gone along with the Germany Xmas Eve opening tradition. The kids get so wound up waiting until evening to open their gifts, they go to bed late, Xmas Day is totally anti-climactic. And worst of all, no stockings. I find myself buying little presents to open anyway (bubble bath! new barrettes!)...

TC December 18, 2013 | 5:11 PM

I grew up in England and we always hung our stocking on our bedposts when I was a kid. Then we were allowed to open everything in there when we first woke up. After that, we would go in to my parents room and show them what Santa had put in them. My parents really had it figured out. I'm going to try and persuade my husband that we should do it that way this year before they get old enough to realize we switched the game plan on them!

Terisa December 18, 2013 | 12:41 PM

We always did stockings with my son. Still do even though he's now 17. Since we do/did Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa Delp's on Christmas Eve and Grandma Martha's on Christmas Day, sometimes the only gift at our house would be the stocking. Often it would be a fairly big stocking stuff full of books, dvd's, candy, inexpensive toys and once a rather large GI Joe. He would carry it to our bed and unwrap it in front of us before we would get dressed and go walk across the street to Grandma's where Santa always knew to drop off most of the presents there. It gave his dad who was ill some extra time to rest, me time to call and warn grandma we were on our way and bit of extra time to get ready while Kenny played with his new toys and ate candy and fruit.

Nicky December 18, 2013 | 12:19 PM

I love stockings! Not using them currently as my younger brother isn't interested and I'm long beyond the stage of using them but I used to love waking up. I knew already that santa had been because the stocking was bumpy. I generally got oranges, marbles, pencils (and then whatever I was into. Pogs, pokemon cards, barbie clothes)... and I actually have no idea what else. Sure that it wasn't much and there were always two oranges but I wouldn't wake my parents until I had been through my stocking (and eaten the oranges). Must have been bliss for my family.

Cyndi December 18, 2013 | 12:18 PM

Totally worth the extra effort to wrap all those stocking stuffers! Gotta buy as much extra sleep time as I can!

Kirstie Farrar December 18, 2013 | 12:14 PM

Not to date myself but I remember one year my parents put Donkey Kong for the Atari 2600 in my stocking. I didn't wake anybody up for at least two hours....