Baby names
This name is no longer quite right

When the baby's name doesn't fit

Picking out a baby’s name is hard, but what if you made the wrong decision? These moms share why they don’t really care for their baby’s name.

One of the first decisions you will make for your child is choosing a name. Some parents have names picked out early on in pregnancy — and sometimes even before — and others debate name choices up until delivery day. You have decided on a name, finally, but what if you realize that it wasn’t the best name for your little one? These moms confess!

Name regret

Some moms loved their baby’s name at first, but naming trends and other issues made the decision seem like a poor one in retrospect. “I hate my daughter's name MadiLynn,” shared Rachel, mom of two. “I love the spelling, but I hate how common her name is! Everyone I know has a ‘Maddie/Madi’. My daughter is not a MadiLynn, Madeline, Madison or any of those. Her name, to me is Madi-Lynn. But the only person besides me that ever calls her that is my mother, and I can't stand my mother! I wish we could change her name, but we can't. At least she has two middle names that we can call her by later.”

Cindy, mom of two, had similar regrets. “I wish we would have put a little bit more thought into my daughter's name,” she said. “It was an impulsive decision and we didn't fully comprehend how annoying having kids with rhyming names would be. It gets pointed out to us almost daily that their names sound the same. I don't dislike it, just regret it.”

Not quite right

“It’s not necessarily that I hate the name, I just don't think it fits him,” explained Tara, mom of three. “He's almost 9 months, and I still haven't figured out what to call him. He was named after his dad, but I think his personality is his own and he should have been given something to match. It’s hard to explain... I just don't see him as 'Matt.' I love the name Matt, Matthew — but I think my son is ‘Spiderman’ or ‘Batman.’ Just something a little more unique and not so traditional.”

Changing a baby’s name

Some moms even went to the length of getting their child’s name legally changed after the naming was complete. “We legally changed Maggie Elizabeth to Magnolia Frances Elizabeth when she was a few months old,” shared Aubrey, mom of two. “I wanted two middle names from the beginning, but Mike didn't. I found out that he didn't have a good reason and I was changing her first name anyway, I added Frances. I didn't like the ‘traditional’ longer versions of Maggie so decided to just call her Maggie. When she was born we started calling her Magnolia. It stuck and I decided to start looking into changing her name.”

Changing her name, fortunately, turned out to not be a big deal. “All I had to do was call the state of Missouri,” she explained. “They sent a paper for me to sign and have notarized. I sent $15 in with the paper for a new birth certificate. Within two months her name was legally changed.”

It’s hard to choose a baby’s name, and even harder to admit that maybe you made the wrong choice. Whether you get your child’s name legally changed, or decide to call her by her middle name or a nickname, you do have choices.

Tell us

Did you ever have regrets after filling out your baby’s birth certificate?

Please note: Some names have been changed.

More baby names

Baby names that mean power
Presidential children baby names
Baby names that mean thankful

Comments

Comments on "Real moms confess: I hate my baby's name"

Scott February 03, 2014 | 10:21 PM

Oooohhhh, I get it. This article is satire.....surely no one is that vapid with that much time on their hands as to sit around thinking about how their child's name is too common or doesn't reflect them as a person etc. If indeed it isn't fake, we've got some real personality disorder issues in this country.

MordiKai Rustlemynt Mirrorverse Jones February 03, 2014 | 7:56 PM

Thank god there are still hard-hitting news magazines like SheKnows Parenting, telling the raw stories and asking the tough questions.

Jezzer February 03, 2014 | 2:45 PM

How about worrying less about using your child as a springboard for attention and focusing more on raising them to hopefully not grow up to be another millennial crapsack?

Gregory February 03, 2014 | 12:53 PM

We named our daughter "Regan," pronounced like the president but decidedly NOT after him. (It was a mix of the Shakespearian reference and a nod to my Hungarian heritage-- "regen," pronounced the same way, means "a long time.") At two months old, we realized we hated her name, and were downright embarrassed to tell it even to strangers we met. What made it worse was that we lived in DC, and everyone immediately gravitated to the presidential reference... and as my wife and I are political beings, that was a non-starter. We arrived at the name through a terrible mathematic round-robin contest of sorts between the two of us, ending up with what we later realized was each of our favorite name-that-the-other-could-stomach. Instead, I suggested to my wife that she could have one of her top picks for the first name if I could have mine for the middle, and I'd do all the paperwork. Never has a decision been easier, and we love our four-year-old's REAL name - Lola Avery - which suits her to a tee, and without an ounce of regret.

Mo February 03, 2014 | 12:37 PM

I like my daughter's name, but I still wish my husband had budged on the middle name. He didn't want a short, punchy, one-syllable middle name like I did. I Constantly think of her as Lola June and have to then remind myself that her middle name is Scarlett. Now she's almost one, however, my family is starting to tell me that her name sounds "straight off the stripper pole," I can feel my confidence about her name starting to wain.

Quarterto5 February 03, 2014 | 10:38 AM

I changed my daughter's name when she was 3 weeks old. SO glad I did! But my oldest - I never should've named her what I did. But it's cool, because she is changing her name legally to the nickname we've used since her birth.

Bloggoneit January 30, 2014 | 9:23 AM

My oldest daughter is 20, and although I still like her name, I don't think it ever suited her. It's like the preschool I forced her to stay at because I always wanted to go to a Montessori school, or the dresses I made her wear -- those were about me and not her, and that's the same thing with her name. She doesn't look like a Devon, but I'm not sure what name would work. Whatever it is, it would have to be a very strong minded, tenacious name!

Carla T January 30, 2014 | 5:39 AM

I don't "hate" my son's name, but I still don't feel his middle name fits well. We call him by a nickname. The first time I went to call him by his full name it didn't come out! It seemed very awkward. Now if I am being stern only his full first name comes out. My son is now 20 and loves his nick name and is ok that his middle name has family history behind it, but he doesn't love it. I made sure his two younger siblings had names that flowed when called out together :o)