Not Your Ordinary Painting Crafts
Put away those boring watercolors and try something new with paint! Kids will love these creative painting ideas that are a break from the ordinary.
Tissue paper watercolor art
- Watercolor paper
- Colored tissue paper
- Spray bottle
- Tear up pieces of the colored tissue paper and lay them across the surface of the watercolor paper, until the paper is completely covered.
- Fill the spray bottle with water and spray the tissue paper until it is completely damp.
- Leave the tissue paper in place for at least 30 minutes, then remove the tissue paper to reveal the watercolor design underneath.
Tip: For best results, use tissue paper that has a matte finish, rather than a glossy finish.
Homemade puffy paints
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup salt
- Food coloring
- Squeeze bottles
- In a medium bowl, mix together the water, flour and salt.
- Transfer the mixture to individual squeeze bottles.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to each individual bottle, then put the lid on and shake the bottle until the color is well mixed.
- Squeeze the paint out of the bottle to use the puffy paint.
Tie-dye painted sun catcher
- White fabric
- Small embroidery hoop
- Rubbing alcohol
- Stretch the fabric over the embroidery hoop.
- Color on the fabric with washable markers.
- Drip rubbing alcohol over the marker to make it spread like tie-dye.
- Once the fabric has dried, tie a piece of ribbon through the top of the embroidery hoop, then use the ribbon to hang the sun catcher in the window.
More fun crafts for kids
Make an indoor terrarium for kids
Popsicle stick crafts you haven't seen before
Simple bird feeders kids can make