We love Christmas, and we love crafts. There's nothing like slowing things down, allowing a little mess and spending quality time creating with your children.
If you’re a homeschool mom, or you're looking for some fun crafts to do with your kids during winter break, you will want to try some of these crafts and activities.
One of my favorite childhood crafts has always been salt dough Christmas ornaments. These simple ornaments make the perfect handmade gifts for family and friends.
Salt dough recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup water
- Rolling pin
- Cookie sheet
- Cookie cutters
- Acrylic paints
- Glitter glue or glitter paint
- Ribbon, yarn or string
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Mix the salt and flour in a bowl and stir in the water slowly. You will want the dough to be dry — if it gets sticky add more flour.
- Finish mixing with hands, kneading until soft and pliable. The dough should be stored in an airtight container or sealed plastic bag until you use it, so it will not dry out and harden.
- Roll the dough out on floured surface about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut shapes with cookie cutters, then place on cookie sheets.
- With a toothpick, straw or spoon, make a hole in the top of the ornament.
- Bake ornaments at 250 degrees F for 2 hours. Remove from oven and allow them to cool completely.
- Decorate with paint, glitter and varnish to preserve.
More free homeschool Christmas activities and crafts
- A Blessed Christmas — This unit study is about the symbols of Christmas. The focus is on Christ, his character, our service to him and our opportunity to spread his light to others.
- Amazing Grace — Written by Cindy Downes, this free Christmas unit is recommended for pre-K through fifth grade and is designed to be completed in four weeks.
- 25 fun Christmas crafts — Super Mommy to the Rescue has put together 25 fun crafts for your little ones ages 1 to 5.
What are some of your favorite childhood holiday crafts? Do you make them now with your children?
More about holiday crafts
Marshmallow snowman ornament
Craft stick snowflakes
Easy Christmas crafts for kids