Mix Up Some Holiday Fun!
Take a pass on the store bought polymer clay. Whip up a batch from scratch and set your kids loose with it to make these fun Christmas ornaments. Whether shared as gifts for friends or as gift wrapping final touches, they'll have tons of fun with this festive project.
- 1 cup white school glue
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons baby oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Red washable tempura paint
- Green washable tempura paint
- Small Christmas tree ornament hangers
- An assistant
- Combine the white glue, cornstarch, baby oil and lemon juice in a nonstick saucepan.
- Stir constantly while cooking over low heat for roughly 10 minutes.
- Once the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and form a ball, remove from the heat.
- Allow the dough ball to cool just enough for your child to handle.
- Knead the warm ball of dough until it's smooth and has a nice consistency.
- Divide the dough into 3 evenly-sized balls.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of red tempura paint to one ball, green paint to another and leave the third ball white.
- Knead each ball to evenly distribute the color.
- Then, let your children loose on the dough to form small balls, using any color combination that inspires them.
- Once they've finished forming the ornament balls, have them insert a small ornament hanger into each ball.
- Allow the ornaments to dry at room temperature until fully dry*.
- If you're rushed for time, you can speed up the drying process by placing the ornaments in a 180 degree F oven until dry (be sure not to overcook, as the colors will lose their vibrancy).
*Total drying time will depend upon the size of your ornaments.
Once your ornaments are fully dry, hang them from your Christmas tree, hang them throughout your home, use them as the final touch on your Christmas wrapping or have your children give them away as holiday treats for their friends or teacher!
More Christmas activities for kids
Top 10 Christmas activities
Easy Christmas crafts for kids
Ideas for your own Elf on a Shelf