We are a forgiving, celebrity-obsessed society. Parents continue to name their babies Britney and Charlie no matter how badly Ms. Spears and Mr. Sheen have behaved. Try to look past the crazy antics of these stars gone wild, and consider their admirable names instead.
- Aidan Quinn: The Legends of the Fall actor was arrested in 2003 on a drunk driving charge. We like both his first and last names for a baby boy.
- Andy Dick: The comedian boasts three famous mug shots from 2008 (sexual battery), 2010 (felony sexual abuse) and 2011 (disorderly conduct). Andy, of course, is short for Andrew, and Dick is a common nickname for Richard.
- Anthony Anderson: The TV and film star was arrested in 2004 for aggravated rape on a Memphis movie set. The charges were dismissed. Both Anthony and Anderson can be used as a first name.
- Brad Renfro: The young star of The Client was arrested in 2000 for attempting to steal a yacht from a Ft. Lauderdale dock. Brad is a stand-alone name or a nickname for Bradley.
- Charlie Sheen: The Two and a Half Men star has become the poster boy for bad behavior. Charlie, once a nickname for Charles, is now an equally popular baby name choice for both boys and a girls.
- Chris Tucker: The comedian was arrested in 2005 and charged with reckless driving and fleeing to elude. Chris is a great unisex name, while Tucker is a fun and unique name for a boy.
- Daniel Baldwin: The less-famous brother of Alec Baldwin was charged with drug possession and auto theft in 2006. The classic boy name Daniel (ranked #11) boasts Daniela (ranked #191) as a popular alternative for a girl.
- Dennis Hopper: The late, great actor was arrested by New Mexico police in 1975 and charged with reckless driving, failure to report an accident and leaving the scene. Dennis (ranked #427) has declined in popularity since the 1960s and '70s.
- George Carlin: The iconic comedian was a mere 35 years old when Wisconsin police arrested him in 1972. He was charged with public indecency (i.e. violating obscenity laws) for performing the routine "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television." Carlin makes a great first name, don't you think?
- Haley Joel Osment: The Sixth Sense actor saw more than dead people when he was charged with drunk driving and marijuana possession in 2006. We like the name Joel for a boy but recommend saving Haley for a girl.
- Hugh Grant: It was not romantic comedy when the actor was caught in the act with hooker Divine Brown in 1995. We like both Hugh and Grant as first names.
- James Cromwell: The beloved actor, who starred in Babe, was arrested for disorderly conduct in early 2013 when he showed up on the University of Wisconsin campus to protest the treatment of animals used in research. James remains a top baby boy name.
- Jason Patric: The actor resisted arrest when Texas cops charged him with public intoxication in 2004. Jason, of course, is a long-standing top baby boy name. Add a K to the surname for a boy (Patrick) or an E for a girl (Patrice).
- Jeffrey Jones: The actor best known as Principal Rooney in Ferris Bueller's Day Off was ordered to register as a sex offender after paying a 14-year-old boy to pose for explicit photos. Jeffrey, sometimes spelled Geoffrey, can also be shortened to Jeff.
- Mel Gibson: The actor/director was arrested as a bigoted drunk in 2006 and as an angry girlfriend-beater in 2011. Nonetheless, we still like the names Mel and Gibson.
- Nicolas Cage: The actor was arrested in 2011 on domestic abuse and disturbing the peace charges. The popular name is traditionally spelled Nicholas.
- Paul Reubens: "Pee-wee Herman" was charged with indecent exposure in 1991 and possession of kiddie porn in 2002. Paul is a traditional baby boy name, while Reuben is a less-popular option. Try Paula or Pauline for a girl.
- Randy Quaid: Christmas Vacation's "Cousin Eddie" went on the run after being charged with burglary and conspiracy. Randy is a stand-alone name or a nickname for Randall or Randolph. Consider Randie or Randee for a girl.
- Robert Downey, Jr.: The Iron Man star has mug shots from 1999, 2000 and 2001 — all related to drug possession. The name Robert is currently ranked at #61.
- Russell Brand: The irreverent British comedian was charged with criminal damage after he broke a cameraman's iPhone. The name Russell has experienced a decline in popularity over recent decades.
- Stephen Baldwin: The brother of Alec and Daniel (see above) was charged in 2012 with tax evasion. Stephen can also be spelled Steven.
- Terrence Howard: In 2000, the actor caused a disturbance on an airplane, and the following year he punched his estranged wife in the face. Terrence and Howard both rank low on the list of the top 1,000 baby names for boys.
- Vince Vaughn: While working on the film Domestic Disturbance, Vaughn was arrested for fighting in public. Use Vince on its own or as a nickname for Vincent or opt for the Celtic classic Vaughn.
- Wesley Snipes: The U.S. Marshals actor was sentenced to three years in federal prison for failing to file income tax returns. His mug shot was taken, of course, by the U.S. Marshals Service.
- Amanda Bynes: April 2012 was the first time the Nickelodeon star found herself in a West Hollywood jail with a DUI charge. The name Amanda currently ranks #265 on the Social Security Administration's Top 1,000 Baby Names for Girls.
- Anna Nicole Smith: The former Playboy Playmate was arrested for drunk driving in Texas in 1989. Anna consistently ranks in the top 50 most popular baby names for girls.
- Daryl Hannah: The Splash actress was arrested by Texas cops when she protested the construction of an oil pipeline in 2012. While Daryl is traditionally used as a boy name, the vintage Hannah continues to enjoy popularity among girls.
- Jane Fonda: She was never charged with treason for her Vietnam War actions, but this actress was arrested in 1970 when U.S. Customs agents discovered a large number of pills in her luggage. Consider Fonda as an authentic first name, too!
- Jenna Jameson: The former porn star was cited for DUI in 2012. The name Jenna ranks #204 on the list of most popular girl names and Jameson ranks #204 on the boy's list.
- Lindsay Lohan: Google "Linsday Lohan mug shots" and you'll find at least six unflattering photos taken between 2007 and 2013.
- Paris Hilton: Thanks to alcohol, drugs and driving violations, we've been privileged to see three mug shots of the socialite. Paris is just one of many destination baby names growing in popularity.
- Reese Witherspoon: The petite actress was arrested for throwing her weight around at the cop who was giving her husband a sobriety test. Reece is a nice alternative spelling for this unisex name.
Click the banner to check out our database of over 30,000 baby names >>
Image credit: WENN
More baby names
Baby names ruined by TV characters
Best and worst celebrity baby names of 2012
Baby names inspired by wine