Share this Story

Infertility and TTC: When to see a specialist

Making a baby can take a little more time than we might expect, so when do we know when it's time to seek help from a specialist? Obstetrician/Gynecologist Mark Kan explains.

Your question
How long should you try to conceive before seeking help from a fertility specialist? Ob/Gyn Mark Kan, MD, answers
The classic definition of infertility is unprotected intercourse without conception over a 12-month period. This may apply to some patients but it does not apply to all. Because there is an age-related decline in fertility, women in their late 30s or older should seek counseling and treatment in a shorter time frame.

In addition, women with known risk factors of infertility (i.e., pelvic inflammatory disease, ovulation disorders, etc.) should seek treatment as soon as possible. A reproductive endocrinology and infertility (REI) specialist is an Ob/Gyn physician who has completed additional training in infertility treatment and endocrinology. REI physicians can help you make the best decisions regarding your fertility options.

New in

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!

b h e a r d !

Welcome to the new SheKnows Community,

where you can share your stories, ideas

and CONNECT with millions of women.

Get Started