We always knew that sex ed in middle school didn't teach us everything (or even close to it, let's be honest) — but after reading all these crazy facts, we think that class needs a complete overhaul. From the art of the female orgasm to STIs and condoms, here are 50 sexual truths that will fascinate and entertain you.
1. We automatically perceive people who smell good as more attractive.
2. Ginger stimulates the feelings of excitement associated with sex. Eating ginger elevates your heart rate, gets your blood flowing and gets you excited for the night ahead.
3. A study found that men feel more emotional pain after a breakup than women do.
4. It's official: This study shows that men and women cannot be just friends.
5. Some people consider sperm to be an anti-aging treatment, as it has a tightening effect on the skin.
6. Sleep-deprived men are more likely to believe women want to have sex with them. This is not a joke.
7. People who are into kinkier sex may be psychologically healthier.
8. Endorphins released during sexual activity create a euphoria similar to opioid drug use.
9. Some people experience the same feeling of arousal when thinking about food as when having sex.
10. After ovulation, a female's egg is fertile for 24 to 48 hours, and a man's sperm can live 48 hours inside the female body. Do the math, and be careful. There have been documented cases of live sperm discovered eight days after sex.
11. Twelve per cent of adults have had sex at work.
12. You can't say happiness without saying penis. (You're welcome.)
13. Only 57 percent of women orgasm while having sex with a partner.
14. The Kama Sutra lists 30 types of kisses. How many have you tried?
15. A study found that good sex triggers the region of the brain associated with falling in love.
16. Men who have sex at least twice a week can almost halve their risk of heart disease, according to a 2010 study.
17. Still have that condom from a while back? Toss it! The average shelf life of a latex condom is about two years.
18. It's a good idea to keep your own condoms, since you don't know how long your partner's been holding on to his. Condoms kept in wallets for over a month are more likely to break.
19. There are five to seven calories in a teaspoon of semen.
20. One orgasm a day may decrease a man's risk for prostate cancer.
21. There are some foods that boost your sex drive, one of them being black raspberries. This phytochemical-rich food enhances both libido and endurance. Oysters are high in zinc, which is vital for testosterone production and healthy sperm. Watermelon contains citrulline amino acid, good for the cardiovascular system and to help relax the blood vessels that increase your sex drive.
22. The average vagina is 3 to 4 inches long but can expand by 200 per cent when sexually aroused.
24. Sex is 10 times more effective than Valium.
24. Shaving your pubic area increases your chances of spreading an STI.
25. Yeah, they're called STIs (sexually transmitted infections) now instead of STDs (sexually transmitted diseases).
Up next: More sex facts
Originally published July 2013. Updated March 2017.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!